SAU Community

Rb20det Fault Code 13....

R32_Damo

My RB20 has been throwing out fault code 13: temp sensor, so ive replaced the sensor but it still throws the code out, i have got ground and 9v feed from ECU?

any ideas what else to do?

cars running rch as, O2 is sayn lean, so ecus pumpn more fuel in, temp sensors not readn proper temp, car drives like crap hit boost and it bogs down no power, and it spluters and crap

post away and ideas or past problems you guys have had.

Thanks Damo

with the temp sensor not working, the ecu will be stuck in cold temp corrrection, thats is, retard mode

so until you fix that, theres not point loading it up or bring it on boost, in fact, its probably doing harm as the correction is sucky

there are two sensors for water, one for the cluster and one for the ecu, i would suggest replacing both with known working items

the ecu doesnt pump more or less fuel in based on the 02 sensor in real time, its a minute correction on light cruise

so be seeing rich or lean from the ecu diag, means nothing, provides nothing useful and will just add confusion or misleading information

fix the water temp sensor, your problems will go away

the part should be a generic nissan item from most auto workshops, undo the item, take it into the shop

and ask for a replacement one basicaly. my r33 rb25 has an 180sx water temp sensor it and it works fine

ie: its a generic nissan part, not an RBxx model specific one so you can mix match providing plug and voltage/scale is the same

Yeh i have replaced the sensor but still no deal, Code 13 is temp sensor or wiring circuit fault.

But i have checked theses earth and a volt reading, but the volt reading from ECU is higher then it should be, should be around 5volts but im getn a reading of around 9volts i think.

Im going to wiring up a better earth and hope that fixs it, but other then that im stumd, cant be ecu fault surely workd fine on old engine.

next step is taking it to a shop some day.

My 20 is still giving me tha sh!ts, looking for another RB20DET ECU, any one got one for sale.

only thing left i xcan think of to try and fix this Temp sensor fault, replaced sensor, check loom eveythings works out within specs, exspect for 9volt output when it should have 5volt, so ecu might be fokd

Yeh i have replaced the sensor but still no deal, Code 13 is temp sensor or wiring circuit fault.

But i have checked theses earth and a volt reading, but the volt reading from ECU is higher then it should be, should be around 5volts but im getn a reading of around 9volts i think.

Im going to wiring up a better earth and hope that fixs it, but other then that im stumd, cant be ecu fault surely workd fine on old engine.

next step is taking it to a shop some day.

you sure u replaced the ecu sensor, it has 2 wires goin to it.

Yeh replaced tha right sensor,

also cleared code using snapon scanner, just relogs striaght away,

swaped ecus but used a ceffy one, can drove good, bit rich but boosted normel, only thing is got told cant used other ecus need to match what loom and sensors you got?

ive been running a r32 ecu coz im sure i got a r32 loom, does any one no how to tell the looms apart?

also after a R32 ECU?

Thanks Damo

All fixed, tonight i ended up running to new wires from CTS in tho cabin and cut old wires from ECU and joined new ones in, No more temp sensor faults, so must had a bad wire, or broken wire,

Hope the fault says away now.

Thanks for your help

Damo

with the temp sensor not working, the ecu will be stuck in cold temp corrrection, thats is, retard mode

so until you fix that, theres not point loading it up or bring it on boost, in fact, its probably doing harm as the correction is sucky

there are two sensors for water, one for the cluster and one for the ecu, i would suggest replacing both with known working items

the ecu doesnt pump more or less fuel in based on the 02 sensor in real time, its a minute correction on light cruise

so be seeing rich or lean from the ecu diag, means nothing, provides nothing useful and will just add confusion or misleading information

fix the water temp sensor, your problems will go away

the part should be a generic nissan item from most auto workshops, undo the item, take it into the shop

and ask for a replacement one basicaly. my r33 rb25 has an 180sx water temp sensor it and it works fine

ie: its a generic nissan part, not an RBxx model specific one so you can mix match providing plug and voltage/scale is the same

Not strictly true.. My RB20 and my mates RB26 head had yellow sensors. When I built my 30 I accidentally snapped my RB20 temp sensor so had to use the BROWN temp sensor that came with my RB25DE head.. ecu thought it was in cold start ALL THE TIME until I put my mates yellow RB26 sensor in there..