SAU Community

Rb30 Conversion Minimum Cost

joe blo

how much can i get away with doing the conversion for not including the bottom end?

how muh is the mod to the head where you get the bit welded up then resurfaced?

how much to drill and tap the new feed in the head?

how much to tap the new tensioner hole in and thread it?

how much for new tensioner?

how much for new timing belt to suit?

rb30 headgasket - 80 bux genuine nissan

can you just tell me coz ive read the whole thread and all the other ones on here and it will be good for people to know straight up by reading this.

il be putting the head on myself and putting it in the car myself but need the maching and tapping done at a shop.

and what have i forgotten and include the price also.

if theres already one like this put up a link

thanks mates

Do you want to build a hand grenade? or a motor thats going to last?

If you are just sticking a high km second hand block underneath then some gaskets a little machining isn't going to cost much.

timing belt & tensioner kit ; ring nissan for prices (they have gone up)

If you post your location people can give you places to ring.

All the machining for a my mates conversion was 1100.

That included:

Bore, hone

Milled surfaces

Drill and tap half inch head studs

Chem clean

Tap for idler

Installed valve springs and cams

Maybe more i cant remember.

My advice would be if you cant afford it, dont do it. You will not enjoy the process as you will be pulling your hair out trying to fund it all.

Its not the main bits you have to budget for. Its all the small unexpected bits that you dont realize needs to be ordered/bought to complete the rebuild.

My 2c.

• 2 weeks later...

Places to call would be great.

I live in the Bris/ Gold Coast area and im trying to do the same with finding prices. As i want to rebuild the bottom end so its like new again not going with forged rods or anything like that but just so i know its nice and new and rev limit at 6800 should keep it faily safe but i have about $2500 just for head and bottom not for turbo or labour. Could this be enough?

I know enough for a rough figure but as soon as things start comming more into play it gets harder cos i need the right prices.

So any info will help :D

Going into a 32, Im not after that much power mosly the RB30 torque.

But i can get other things later on its just had finding a base price for things. when you dont know many places to get the stuff for them that isnt going to be a rip off.

Edited by raZ1911

My initial conversion cost me 2k ($1500 for a block/head/forged pistons that had already been running together) then miscellaneous stuff like crank, headgasket etc etc.

It was what I had to spend AFTER the conversion that I wasn't planning on.. :D afm was maxed so had to buy a z32/plug which also meant getting it tuned, so while I was getting it tuned I figured might aswell throw some injectors in there so straight up, it cost another 2.5k just to be driving it safely.

You could certianly do it cheap cheap but how long it would last is anyones guess!

my build is going into the 15k-20k bracket but im doing everything under the sun, some people have done it on the extreme cheap though and they run strong but who knows how long they would last for

Building a 25 or building RB30 wouldnt it be around the same price? Becuase you have to add all the little things like AFMs and what not into the 25 build?

bubba what did you have to do with engine mounts, crossmembers etc with the RB30 in your 32?

Edited by raZ1911

Building a 25 or building RB30 wouldnt it be around the same price? Becuase you have to add all the little things like AFMs and what not into the 25 build?

bubba what did you have to do with engine mounts, crossmembers etc with the RB30 in your 32?

Not really any difference cost wise between building a 25 or a 30, IMO it's a no brainer :thumbsup:

I used my RB20 mounts, had to lose the stock bov and carefully arrange the piping to get the bonnet to shut. Oh and 10mm spacers in the hinges.. rubs slightly on stock plenum and slightly on timing belt cover. Have a custom forward facing plenum going on soon so it will only rub slightly on the timing belt cover.. which should go away eventually :ermm: Hopefully I'll be able to put my strut brace back on too heh

Edited by bubba

• 2 weeks later...
how much can i get away with doing the conversion for not including the bottom end?

how muh is the mod to the head where you get the bit welded up then resurfaced?

how much to drill and tap the new feed in the head?

how much to tap the new tensioner hole in and thread it?

how much for new tensioner?

how much for new timing belt to suit?

rb30 headgasket - 80 bux genuine nissan

can you just tell me coz ive read the whole thread and all the other ones on here and it will be good for people to know straight up by reading this.

il be putting the head on myself and putting it in the car myself but need the maching and tapping done at a shop.

and what have i forgotten and include the price also.

if theres already one like this put up a link

thanks mates

if you want to save money here are your answers

1 to block the head cut the small end off a spark and hammer it it the the oil gallery in the head

2 buy a drill and tap $40 bux

3 as 2 $40 bux

4 timming belt and tensionors about $300

I took my head into the local sheet metal shop late on a friday arvo to get welded.. The bloke asked for $20 cash and I got no receipt.. His deal was: I took my $20 and some of the boys petty cash to the bottlo and came back with a carton of the good stuff...

So, $20 for a welded oil port.. and they finish filed it aswell!

Use your head a bit, be nice and explain what your tring to do, and some people will try and help you out..