SAU Community

Rb25/30 Rb30det Vvt Internal Oil Control

psi

• 9 months later...
On 1/16/2009 at 9:05 PM, psi said:

Now for a few more pics..

the pink filled bit in the cam journal is where the oil is fed into the bearing (that now comes from my new mod), and the Green bit is where the oil is fed to the VVT..

The pink circle is where the new plug will be inserted.

The brass plug is the return oil passage from the VVT solenoid to the head.. not much exciting in there, but I just wanted to look in there!

post-34369-1232100012_thumb.jpg

post-34369-1232100067_thumb.jpg

I bought a 25/30 and i dont think this has been done to the engine. It hasnt been driven for too long so hopefully the damage isnt too much. Im going to be swapping the heads soon anyway. So is this as simple as removing the plug and drilling it from the back then across halfway?

The pink and the green holes. Did you have to drill any of those out? Im asking as Im avoiding the scenario where I have to remove the cams. Can this be done without removing the cams? When I fit the brass plug back in does the perpendicular hole have to line up with the pink hole?

• 1 month later...

Interested to know from anyone who has used the TLG VCT kit posted here. It seems like it would work but I’m very sceptical. Maybe someone could explain how they think this would address the oil problem. It has an alloy block that removes the VCT solenoid from the head and relocates it to the right hand side of the engine, right under the oil pressure sender unit.

images+%284%29.jpeg

So the oil supply to the alloy block is Tee'd from the oil pressure sender. Then it goes from the alloy block to the original location for the VCT solenoid. My question is how does this trigger the normal operation of the VCT gear. What stops the oil flowing back into the engine block if there is too much resistance on the supply side. It seems like the external oil feed has been used quite a bit but from the search I’ve done. I cannot see how the VCT is activated using this method. Also noticed that the VCT solenoid had a second o ring the bore on the TLG doesn't seem to be using this.

18 minutes ago, B-rice said:

Interested to know from anyone who has used the TLG VCT kit posted here. It seems like it would work but I’m very sceptical. Maybe someone could explain how they think this would address the oil problem. It has an alloy block that removes the VCT solenoid from the head and relocates it to the right hand side of the engine, right under the oil pressure sender unit.

images+%284%29.jpeg

So the oil supply to the alloy block is Tee'd from the oil pressure sender. Then it goes from the alloy block to the original location for the VCT solenoid. My question is how does this trigger the normal operation of the VCT gear. What stops the oil flowing back into the engine block if there is too much resistance on the supply side. It seems like the external oil feed has been used quite a bit but from the search I’ve done. I cannot see how the VCT is activated using this method. Also noticed that the VCT solenoid had a second o ring the bore on the TLG doesn't seem to be using this.

Bryce I'm currently using this kit. I have to pre-warn you though and tell you that the creator is not very transparent, it took me almost 3 months from payment to receiving the product. Told me that his machinist was giving him the run around, and it wasn't until the machinist messaged me personally that I received the whole picture and not the one side. He takes the orders before even telling his machinist to make the kits and does not keep large stock of them in advance.

NOW, this kit is fantastic... I currently use it on mine with an RB25 Neo head with an RB26 block. The unit takes its feed from the pressurised oil in the side of the block, and the solenoid then turns on or off and allows oil to flow into the head. The piece that gets screwed into the head is like a dummy VCT Solenoid, and sends oil into the correct port and then up into the VCT Gear.

The kit was pretty damn easy to install and I'd say pretty discrete as well. I had actually tapped a hole in the front of the head because I didn't realise this was an option, instead welded that back over and went with this kit and happy I did. 

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

• Like 1

This is how i did mine. You cant even see it with the manifold on an retained the vvt sensor in std location and is fed from the same location off the side of the block/original rb30 pressure sensor hole. I also retained the 25 neo oil cooler. This wayit looks stock.

20160808_133034.jpg

20170523_211503.jpg

20170523_211743.jpg

• Like 1

Bryce I'm currently using this kit. I have to pre-warn you though and tell you that the creator is not very transparent, it took me almost 3 months from payment to receiving the product. Told me that his machinist was giving him the run around, and it wasn't until the machinist messaged me personally that I received the whole picture and not the one side. He takes the orders before even telling his machinist to make the kits and does not keep large stock of them in advance.

NOW, this kit is fantastic... I currently use it on mine with an RB25 Neo head with an RB26 block. The unit takes its feed from the pressurised oil in the side of the block, and the solenoid then turns on or off and allows oil to flow into the head. The piece that gets screwed into the head is like a dummy VCT Solenoid, and sends oil into the correct port and then up into the VCT Gear.

The kit was pretty damn easy to install and I'd say pretty discrete as well. I had actually tapped a hole in the front of the head because I didn't realise this was an option, instead welded that back over and went with this kit and happy I did. 
IMG_4678.thumb.JPG.f2d4e6663245c243e1cb6f5d31fa269d.JPG
IMG_4679.thumb.JPG.d3a628957cbb39eada5dd5c328e636cc.JPG
IMG_4681.thumb.JPG.c2c1b3d5496eb89f2555c986e329e169.JPG

Very accurate. I'm buying the kit off a mate.It took him more than a month to get his stuff.So I'll just buy it off him. Have you guys checked to verify that VCT is engaging?

21 hours ago, B-rice said:

Very accurate. I'm buying the kit off a mate.It took him more than a month to get his stuff.So I'll just buy it off him. Have you guys checked to verify that VCT is engaging?

I can physically feel the VCT engaging, VERY noticeable difference in torque with the VCT plugged in. 

I use this controller to tell it when to turn off and on.
http://www.nzefi.com/product/variable-cam-timing-vct-controller-r33-rb25det/

• Like 1