SAU Community

Rb25/30 Rb30det Vvt Internal Oil Control

psi

looks like a great way to do it all

suprising its taken this long for someone to work it out

kinda hard to believe nissan didnt do it this way

Edited by r32-25t

they probably had a good reason not too. maybe they wanted a seperate feed for better pressure or something. i'm sure they put a lot more thought into it than anyone here would

Well, I've upped my oil pressure. I'm sure that would help a fair bit.

Hi Guys, I did this mod yesterday.

Its f**king easy!

Here is what I did.

1. Went and grabbed a Tap and Drill to suit. 5mm is plenty.

2. Grabbed a Bolt to suit the tap, a nut, and a big washer like in the pic.

Tap the back of the brass plug. Only drill and tap about 6-7mm. MEASURE YOUR DEPTH.

Screw the nut right to the head of the screw. Put the washer behind the nut. Then screw your contraption into the back of the brass plug as far as it will go. Wind the nut against the washer, which will now be pushing onto the head.

Get a socket, and hold the head of the bolt still.

Get a small spanner, and tighten the nut slowly. The pin will come out easily.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Now, Get a piece of wood in a vice in a drill press. Find a drill as big as the pin, and drill a hole in the wood. You want the pin to fit tightly.

3.JPG

Drill a 2mm hole into the small end of the pin. Make sure it is right in the center.

4.JPG

Intercept the hole with a 1.5mm drill. A hand drill and a steady hand is the best. Its brass - So its soft. Should be easy.

5.JPG

Drill your oil feed (Picture taken from underneath the head)

6.JPG

Tap a Taper thread into the head oil feed, and grub screw it nice and tight.

8.JPG

Jobs done.

Took about 30mins.

Edited by The Mafia

wow you were lucky, i had to drill a fair way into myne just to get enough bite to pull it out. tried 5-6mm at first and the bolt just pulled out and stripped the thread. think i ended up leaving the bolt in there and cutting it off to plug up the gaping hole i left

Edited by JonnoHR31

• 5 weeks later...

I've heard of a few plugs that refuse to play the game.

I thought I would have that issue and got some brass just incase..

If you do break or mangle it, you will have to make a copy.

Nice pics Mafia :thumbsup:

Edited by psi
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

never tested it for certain but myne seamed to be working fine, i run larger head feeds than most people reccomend though, mainly because the vct has its own 1.5mm feed, which uses up a fair bit of oil.

how exactly did you do it and what size head feeds are you running?

never tested it for certain but myne seamed to be working fine, i run larger head feeds than most people reccomend though, mainly because the vct has its own 1.5mm feed, which uses up a fair bit of oil.

how exactly did you do it and what size head feeds are you running?

I followed this thread and have the 1.5mm hole through from the lifter gallery into the vct chamber.

1.5mm oil restrictors in both.

ATM the vct is clicking to engage but it is not moving the cam. sounds to me like an oil pressure issue?

if the motors in and running at the moment try the easy shit first like a known working solenoid, yours might click but could be broken inside. assuming you've checked the solenoid is getting the correct signal from the ecu at the correct rpm? next step would probably to try another cam gear.

2 1.5mm feeds should be enough

if the motors in and running at the moment try the easy shit first like a known working solenoid, yours might click but could be broken inside. assuming you've checked the solenoid is getting the correct signal from the ecu at the correct rpm? next step would probably to try another cam gear.

2 1.5mm feeds should be enough

Solenoid swap is in next on the cards,

I am just after some solid proof that this actually works, as I am leaning towards running the external feed into the head.

I was under the impression that the hydraulic lifter gallery might be too low a pressure to get the vct to work.

havent seen any rock solid proof but oil pressure should be fine if the head feeds are large enough. in standard form the 25 has 2 1.5mm head feeds and a seperate 1.5mm feed for vct. so currently you effectively have 2/3 the standard oil being fed to the head, which would normally be about right given the flooding issues you have when revving them for any extended period. but at the same time the vct still needs just as much oil and if its getting it then the rest of the head is only left with half what it has in standard form.

have you checked your actually getting oil pressure to the vct? easiest way would be to pull the intake cam cover off and make sure no1 cam cap is getting pressure.

havent seen any rock solid proof but oil pressure should be fine if the head feeds are large enough. in standard form the 25 has 2 1.5mm head feeds and a seperate 1.5mm feed for vct. so currently you effectively have 2/3 the standard oil being fed to the head, which would normally be about right given the flooding issues you have when revving them for any extended period. but at the same time the vct still needs just as much oil and if its getting it then the rest of the head is only left with half what it has in standard form.

have you checked your actually getting oil pressure to the vct? easiest way would be to pull the intake cam cover off and make sure no1 cam cap is getting pressure.

I have not done any diagnosing just yet, first weekend off since the rush to get the dirty thirty on the road.

Going to have a bit of a browse tmrw. I have this feeling that a remote oil feed is on the cards

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I have read through this topic and noticed that members start talking about adding in restrictors. Is this pre assembly and an alternative to welding?

I only ask because I have a RB30 in car, It has been in the 33 for quite a while (2004ish I want to say). The car has been off the road for around 3 years now though and I am looking at getting it back to its former glory days. I found this topic and could not really find a reason that I am unable to perform this now with the motor still in the car and remaining assembled. Yes there would be some mess to clean up, But that's not really a huge issue.

That was until the talk of restrictors came up. :)

Originally when the motor was built the oil feed in question was welded off due to the water feed being below (could be the other way around, It's been along time :) ). The pictures above are confusing me a little, in particular "Drill your oil feed (Picture taken from underneath the head)" and "Tap a Taper thread into the head oil feed, and grub screw it nice and tight.". I apologize if this is just morning stupidity.

In my head I don't need to consider these two steps and just stick with the original pull, drill (2mm & 1.5mm), plug and enjoy VVT again.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your time.

ignore the grub screw, it was used as an alternative to welding the head but it doesnt work, you must weld it as you've already had done.

aslong as your other 2 head feeds are large enough to support vct aswell then you should be able to just drill out the brass plug as shown and plug vct back in. be sure to flush all the metal shavings out of the first though and then pour heaps of oil in the area and dump it out of the sump.

ignore the grub screw, it was used as an alternative to welding the head but it doesnt work, you must weld it as you've already had done.

aslong as your other 2 head feeds are large enough to support vct aswell then you should be able to just drill out the brass plug as shown and plug vct back in. be sure to flush all the metal shavings out of the first though and then pour heaps of oil in the area and dump it out of the sump.

ive got two 1.5mm restrictors in the block.

Will give it a go pain in the arse having to drill the head while the engine is assembled/in car