SAU Community

R34 Vspec Ii Defected For Carbon Fibre Bonnet In Qld

ZFA57

That's my understanding too WB, but it changes from state to state.

Best bet is to install the standard CF bonnet and keep the super vented crazy one for track days or sell it, as mentioned before :D

OK I am headed back south of the border, dunno how I ended up here!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

emailed the mob I got the bonnet from and this is what they wrote--

hi, the bonnet is made from China factory. and you shouldn't get

trouble from police, because they are fibre glass base, which is

more than 50% on the bonnet, and the carbon fibre is only a

layer, which sit on top. you can explain to the cops that if they

are full carbon fibre bonnet, then will be illegal.

andrew

andrew

Unless it has a ADR number or sticker on it what they say don't mean squat. IMHO♦

Here in Tas it's not to bad for stuff like that, they tend to leave you alone.

Anyway both my cars are bonnets are steel with a glass vent moulded in and I've never been pulled up.

andrew

meh show me an ADR approval then I'll believe that crap.

By my understanding CF & Fiberglass bonnets are illegal unless they are ADR approved, which involves crumple zones to be present in regard to CF due to bonnet shearing bolts off in an impact & decapitating the driver/passenger and Fiberglass which alters the frontal rigidity in the case of an accident.(maybe wrong but don't think so)

The only way to know for sure is to ring Qld Transport and speak to modifications officer who will be more than happy to answer your questions

yeah fibre glass is just as illegal as full carbon... if you dont have an adr approval...

bit like the cheap bike helmets they sell on ebay, no ADR sticker means no good...

fact is fibre glass snaps and becomes a sharp edge when in an accident...

its more dangerous that metal or full carbon fibre...

the fact is the bonnet you purchased might be fine, but approval is expensive and china ebay types are not going to spend the money to make them 100% approved

as such the adr approved fibre bonnets show in terms of cost to the end customer...

By my understanding CF & Fiberglass bonnets are illegal unless they are ADR approved, which involves crumple zones to be present in regard to CF due to bonnet shearing bolts off in an impact & decapitating the driver/passenger and Fiberglass which alters the frontal rigidity in the case of an accident.(maybe wrong but don't think so)

The only way to know for sure is to ring Qld Transport and speak to modifications officer who will be more than happy to answer your questions

Yeah mate, that's ADR69 which is : Full Frontal Impact Occupancy Protection. From memory, it only applies to vehicles after 1994 but you'll have to clarify with DOT on that one. There is another ADR, possibly 70-something.

This means any vehicle manufactured before that ADR came out can have a fibreglass bonnet but not CF.

This is direct from DOTARS who emailed me on the subject some time ago.

In the case of the thread starter, your bonnet is illegal as it has not passed crash testing. Your vehicle is of the age that covers both ADR's restricting them. The only FRP bonnet allowed in QLD as far as I know are the Blitzbodykits ones. As for CF, Custom Carbon have the approval. There may be others but I don't know about them.

How is the nismo z-tune (the crazy expensive) bonnet on ADR? Same issues?

If the bonnet is factory fitted and complied (legally) in Australia, then it is legal.

There is nothing to say the compliance shop is doing the compliancing correctly. I don't know of any Z-tunes in Australia so I doubt their bonnets would be ok.

If the bonnet is factory fitted and complied (legally) in Australia, then it is legal.

There is nothing to say the compliance shop is doing the compliancing correctly. I don't know of any Z-tunes in Australia so I doubt their bonnets would be ok.

post-29193-1232408396_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I know this topic has been dead for sometime but i have both a GTT FRP vented hood non ADR approved (of my knowledge) and now recently a Z-Tune style GT-R bonnet CF...along with my standard alluminium GTT hood for my 2 door R34.

I just wanted to know the process of the minor defect system, i mean i dont mind swapping back to my normal hood since i know i will get pulled over with this one and i paid for it already so im sort of looking for ways to "sneak" by the system you could say.

If anyone has been defected for hoods etc is it the same as exhausts? Once they check and your fine can you just chuck your CF/FRP hood back on until the next tiem they check you out?...If someone could PM me on the mater it would be awesome, thanks.

Yeah mate, that's ADR69 which is : Full Frontal Impact Occupancy Protection. From memory, it only applies to vehicles after 1994 but you'll have to clarify with DOT on that one. There is another ADR, possibly 70-something.

This means any vehicle manufactured before that ADR came out can have a fibreglass bonnet but not CF.

This is direct from DOTARS who emailed me on the subject some time ago.

In the case of the thread starter, your bonnet is illegal as it has not passed crash testing. Your vehicle is of the age that covers both ADR's restricting them. The only FRP bonnet allowed in QLD as far as I know are the Blitzbodykits ones. As for CF, Custom Carbon have the approval. There may be others but I don't know about them.

Does the part i've highlighted in bold mean my 89 silvia would be able to have a fibreglass bonnet? assuming the year you qouted is correct.

Just for anyone's interest , I have just got a ADR approved 34 FRP bonnet I am willing to swap for any vented 34 bonnet , as my car is track only so I don't care , can go cash your way if it is aporprate

Just for anyone's interest , I have just got a ADR approved 34 FRP bonnet I am willing to swap for any vented 34 bonnet , as my car is track only so I don't care , can go cash your way if it is aporprate

Have vented 34 Bonnet, what condition is your one in?

I have a Trial Style vented one with 3 vents overall like on some 32's etc.

Brand new unpainted, was going to put on but did GT-R bonnet swap...Ill try and get pics but its at panel shop right now if you are interested if you dont mind sending me some pics of yours might be able to arrange something...

I know this topic has been dead for sometime but i have both a GTT FRP vented hood non ADR approved (of my knowledge) and now recently a Z-Tune style GT-R bonnet CF...along with my standard alluminium GTT hood for my 2 door R34.

I just wanted to know the process of the minor defect system, i mean i dont mind swapping back to my normal hood since i know i will get pulled over with this one and i paid for it already so im sort of looking for ways to "sneak" by the system you could say.

If anyone has been defected for hoods etc is it the same as exhausts? Once they check and your fine can you just chuck your CF/FRP hood back on until the next tiem they check you out?...If someone could PM me on the mater it would be awesome, thanks.

Yes you can do that but just remember that the second time they catch you your car is impounded for 48hrs(?) and the 3 rd it is confiscated.

• 2 months later...
Yes you can do that but just remember that the second time they catch you your car is impounded for 48hrs(?) and the 3 rd it is confiscated.

And i am pretty sure if you hit a pedestrian and kill them it would be manslaughter because it has no ADR approval,

and in an accident you would void all insurance including public liability.

Factory fitted carbon fiber items are 100% legal due to crash testing by Nissan. This includes Ztune standard bonnet.

ps. Vspec II bonnet is hot why change to cheap ztune copy? everyone to there own i guess..

Edited by 99 GTT