SAU Community

Where Is My Cat

rtune

From the pictures, are there four cats or two?

are they fixed for the lifetime of the exhaust or replaceable?

if they are clogged, would gutting them make the sound weird, or not?

how can they be tested for clogged-ness without "cutting them off" (this is what hitech mufflers suggested) and "welding them back"?

post-51561-1231804943_thumb.jpg

your cats are the top most pair and they do look like they are welded on dont they. they sure look nice though

I took it into hitech mufflers today (great shop) and they said I'm a bit out of luck.. if it doesn't

tinkle when its knocked and the stainless isn't colored from excessive temps then it probably

isn't clogged at least not badly, but without cutting it off there isn't any way to know for sure.

have you taken em off yet? given it a good shake?

what makes you think they're "clogged"? loss in performance? noise under accel?

My boost curve :(

Look how late full boost is achieved. And look at the slow decline in PSI (back pressure?).

N1s should be firing on all cylinders by 4000rpm.

post-51561-1231850204_thumb.jpg

Cat converters shouldn't be welded on, they should be bolt-in replacable items. Idealy, they should also be replaced every 50,000kms to stay in prime working (EPA working) order.

Get them cut out and flanged into place, that way you can check them when they are out, replace if required, and get to them easier in the future.

B.

gut those power thieves!

there could be numerous reasons for your boost curve, one of which is exhaust restriction.

it might interest you to know... when i got my new turbo etc fitted, the mechanics in their infinite wisdom decided not to adjust the wastegate actuator, so the wastegate was open nearly 100% of the time, and the poor turbo was still huffing out 13psi by about 5000rpm lol!

might be something to consider. or small boost leak? bov? whatever boost control you have?

gut those power thieves!

there could be numerous reasons for your boost curve, one of which is exhaust restriction.

it might interest you to know... when i got my new turbo etc fitted, the mechanics in their infinite wisdom decided not to adjust the wastegate actuator, so the wastegate was open nearly 100% of the time, and the poor turbo was still huffing out 13psi by about 5000rpm lol!

might be something to consider. or small boost leak? bov? whatever boost control you have?

boost control courtesy HKS EVC6 ..

I'll get to the bottom of it the next time it goes in for whatever else.

and yeah I will either flange the cats or entirely replace those sections with something else.

Off topic, but, where does 60mm split to 80mm (3.1 inch) combined tend to be the biggest obstacle to power? @ 300kw? 400kw?

eg I notice all the good dumps are 70mm, not 60mm...

looks to me like your wastegate and ex outlets merge at the turbo. this might cause tapering boost as it is better for the gases to merge further down the ex(even 6 inches) this helps prevent turbulence. those dumps look mighty small btw.