SAU Community

Media Centre/network Drive/everything Build.

JAS-25T

Just for everyone else's reference and critique... this is the end quote

CPU - E7300 - $185

Mobo - EP45 UD3P- $224

Graphics - ATi 4760 1GB - $160

PSU - Corsair HX520 - $160

RAM - 4GB 1066mhz Kingston - $90

HDD - Western Digital 1TB x2 - $155ea, $310tot

LG Blu Ray Player - $120

Vista Home P 32bit - $165

HDTV Card (approx $150, see below)

Case - $200 (see below, using approx for now)

CPU Cooler - $70

Thoughts everyone?

I'm actually thinking of doing recreational PC building for a bit of cash on the side, so peoples input is appreciated overall good or bad.

Looks good R31Nismoid, except for one critical thing..

"Vista Home P 32bit - $165"

Use 64-bit. It's more than just the RAM.. much more. Rendering speeds are increased - this is really important in a HTPC, USB speeds are ludicrously fast compared to 32-bit - I've managed to get the full 60MB/s off USB 2.0 in Windows 7 x64, I normally get around 30MB/s on Vista x64 and about 5MB/s on Vista x86 (32-bit).

Go for, 64-bit.. won't regret it.

I know Windows XP x64 was terrible, however since Vista x64 all of the compatibility issues have been solved imho. Sure you need x64 drivers, but 64-bit drivers are abundant now with new hardware and commonly used hardware.

Windows XP x64 was a mock up by Microsoft, Vista x64 was an operating system designed to be 64-bit.

As for the PC building, sounds like fun I wouldn't mind doing that too and helping out some SAU members in Brisbane here. :laugh:

I used to have a computer business, but now I'm studying at U.Q and wouldn't mind a little extra pocket money.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ well if that's all you are getting your drives must be slow - Im getting 40mb/s on Vista-64 with a WD green drive - not even a black!

Dont forget that was back in March, now i would be putting Windows 7 on and forget Vista entirely

Laptop - bound by crappy HDD's anyhow :thumbsup:

32bit wont be dead until after windows 7 anyhow, even then it'll still carryover no doubt... still some life there yet :rofl:

I dont see a real reason unless you are doing encoding and so on, overall ATM - it doesn't matter much to the common user

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, im in the process of piecing together a system for a media center at the moment myself and now im having second thoughts on building a box :sick:

My quote:

Gigabyte ga-ma785gm-us2h $120

AMD ATHLON II 245 x2 AM3 64bit dual core CPU 2.9GHz 2M CACHE $105

2GB 800Mhz DDR2 ram x2 $140

Seagate 1TB 7200.12 32MB cahce - 7200RPM sata2 x2 $260

Silverstone LC17-B HTPC case $180

VANTEC ION2 460W ultra quiet PSU $75

Windows 7 Home premium 32bit edition oem $150

Pioneer sata 16x dual layer dvd burner $50

Digital now duel PCI DVB-T receiver $129

TOTAL $1209

Its going to be used for browsing the net, streaming movies/music, recording tv & storage. Any thoughts or recommendations or even if prices are ok are appreciated :D

Cheers Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, nearly a full year on, 1 wedding, moving house and all sorts of other crap, it's time to get this thing rolling.

I've been given the approval of the minister for war and finances as she would like to be able to record TV.

New things I would like to add (if Ash is keen to have a look)

windows 7 - only on recomendation

Any new hardware that would be required for that

Be able to plug in Pay TV and record etc.

windows 7 is a must have - so many media based improvments for hardware and software.

otherwise though, the same hardware as before would work, anything that ran vista, runs win7

only thing you might look at is the new ATi cards that now do HDMI passthrough to a reciever (or something along those lines).

Negates the need for a soundcard if you have a home theatre setup. I haven't fully looked into it all yet though as i have a soundcard

Dick, got any photos yet mate?

god I am slack aren't I. yes I have taken some. will find where the hell I saved them too and post up. hoping I haven't lost them. I just upgraded my ihpone 3g to a 3gs and I hit restore and all the new pics I'd taken got overwritten with the back-up of the 3g! d'oh!