SAU Community

Dyno Tuning !

EFI Performance

Pre dyno check's  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gidday all.

After reading that member's on here are having what seem's to be simple proplem's when car is being used on the dyno.

I'am just wanting to know if other shop's are doing what we do down here @ EFI.

Basically wanting to know if we are the only shop doing VECHICLE PRE-DYNO CHECK'S.

We started doing this after about 1month using another workshop's dyno, what was happening was we would do either the fuel system, maybe wire in a ECU or just a straight forward off the street "I would like my car tuned please" that what we were finding was 95% of performance car's would have poor fuel flow, battery might have been removed to the boot and in-correct wiring used with bad earth's, coil's not having enough voltage, fuel pump's were installed by owner to cut cost, a whole heap of issue's, our biggest one was "I BROUGHT THIS PART ONLINE AND WAS TOLD IT WAS GOOD"

So we as a business had to come up with an idea to save customer's cost and workshop time.

What we came up with was a pre inspection for your vechicle before it went on the roller's, we check fuel flow/pressure, all power and earth leads to battery and starter, power to fuel pump and most of all, engine inspection driveline oil's, almost like a mini service.

We do this at a small cost, but it's a small cost to pay we say instead of it being on the dyno and been charged out 5time's that amount..

Have any member's on here had this check done on there vechicle before a tune, do any member's know of any perforamce shop's doing this and most of all would you like this mini service done on your car to save time and most of all your MONEY.

Thanks for your feedback.

All the team @ EFI.

Edited by EFI Performance

It takes me about 30 mins to do a comprehensive check over on a car so i wouldnt say anymore than that.

Never had any thing like that done before.

Normally the guys fit the new parts and then tune the car.

Its not a bad idea though

For the money it costs for a tune the pre-check should be done for free as it only takes about 15 min to do the fluids and have a visual inspection, my tuner always checks it before it goes on the dyno.

Thats why i go back to him, and in this day and age where customer care is a dying animal i will take my car to someone who is willing to look after me as well as insuring that my car is safe to get tuned without trying to suck every extra dollar he can from me.

MLR

However when you really think about it its kind of the customers responsibilty to maintain their own car and make sure its ready on the day of tuning. I dont think its something the tuner should have to do at his own time and expense. Its takes time to put the car on the hoist and go over all the fluids etc. Especially a GTR with 2 diffs, gearbox, transfer, etc.

Then again, If i spend thousands of dollars at a shop(about 25k so far at one shop, with more to come) and donot get some sort of extra care my dollars will go somewhere else, 15 min of thier time will ensure that when im spending more money they get it, not the shop that jumps in my car and puts it on the rollers then revs it to the limiter with out even having a look.

Ive had free sevices and small things fixed for free here and there, now that is what i call good service.

However when you really think about it its kind of the customers responsibilty to maintain their own car and make sure its ready on the day of tuning. I dont think its something the tuner should have to do at his own time and expense. Its takes time to put the car on the hoist and go over all the fluids etc. Especially a GTR with 2 diffs, gearbox, transfer, etc.

Yer but not every person is mechanicaly minded and or can even preform any of these check's.

You would be surpriced, after owning a performance shop for 18month's now the thing's that i have heard compaired to the outcome are amazing.

i.e. the guy told me there were new, said the injector's were serviced, it is a genuine 044, i did gap the plug's ect ect.

And the customer is always right untill you diagnose/prove him/her wrong.

It's just a little check and even if it is a GTR, better to find out then and there than 2hour's (money) into the dyno when the diff lock's up.

Croydon Racing always perform this check and do the engine oil and plugs as well...they price this into their tuning fee. When people used to tell me they were expensive i used to laugh...you get what you pay for. $200 extra for what is in reality a full service on their vehicle before dynoing is peanuts in my opinion.

If i was running a tuning shop id be doing it.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Yer nar that's noting to pay when your looking at 170+ an hr for a tune ect.

I also added this thread on other forum's to see what comment's we got, seem's that some big performance shop's are doing this i.e G&D performance, HP-F and M.K automotive to name afew. it's great to see this customer sevice quality being preformed.

<rant>The fact that pre-dyno checks are not industry standard practice further reinforces my view that the vast majority of mechanic shops are run by strategically shaved monkeys, who've never heard of quality control or risk avoidance....</rant>

Of course there are exceptions!

great idea, would love to get my car checked before its up on a dyno, does racepace / creatd / status tuning or any other mob in melb do this??

Not too sure, i just got feed back from other member's on other forum's of other performance shop's doing this.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to ask the shop who undertakes your tune.

Edited by EFI Performance