SAU Community

What Class For A R33 Gtst?

BOZ22N

Hi,

I have been thinking of tracking my R33 GTST a lot more in the next few years, but i have been strugeling to find a suitable class. I have been looking on the Cams site for catagories. But none seem to suit it?

Improved production (Website) seems to be the most suited, but the GTST will most likely struggle having to run the std turbo and a restrictor.

Is there any other categories out their that the GTST will able to run in with minor modifications to the engine?

I will be no means be a ace/gun driver i just want to find a suitable category to compete in or consider changing my ride to something more suited to another class.

Cheers,

Ryan

Production Sports cars/Marque Sports

It has a power to weight formula which evens things out.

There are four levels so you have a choice of tune.

Im not 100% if they are on the list but when talking with the race secretary in 2004 he stated they are allowed to run.

I don't think imports are welcome, i got this from the cams manual for Marque Sports Cars .

1.2 Eligibility: Cars must be derived from the Sports Car Recognition list approved by CAMS. To be considered for addition to the Sports Car Recognition list, at least 10 vehicles must have been sold and registered for road use in Australia with identical specification. Vehicles shall be classified as Class I or Class II depending on production numbers and production philosophy. A maximum capacity of 6000cc shall apply to all vehicles, save where a Class I vehicle has a standard capacity above that limit whereupon it may retain is original capacity plus 2%. Eligibility for vehicles with engine capacity greater than six litres is specific to a manufacturer’s year/model combination, and the vehicle presented for competition must maintain the manufacturer’s engine, driveline and chassis/monocoque design specification.

Thanks anyway.

To be considered for addition to the Sports Car Recognition list, at least 10 vehicles must have been sold and registered for road use in Australia with identical specification.

?????? Don't know if i am reading this correct. When i went through the competitors list (of 100 cars) there was not even a silvia or a GTR. So i am guessing that they must be not allowed.

I just don't want to spend a shit load stripping my interior out and fitting a cage etc when i wont really have a class suitable to race in if i ever want to step up from sprints etc. I might be better off selling it now as a good street car and buying something else and keep doing sprints etc, but will be suitable to race in a class later on if i get the chance. ??????

Dont go all out on it and compete in Super TT class at the AMRS rounds..

Fairly relaxed rules and reasonable well run events.

You'll get your arse handed to you by a few big dollar cars but if you gauge yourself against cars in your playing field then you'll get a good idea of where you stand.

If you want to run at state CAMS events then you really have no choice than production cars (GTS-t) is a poor choice, IPRA (even a worse choice) or sports sedans (even even worse choice)

If thats your aim then id advise parting with the car now and if you must stay loyal to the skyline then buy a production car GTR same as Duncan runs. Its affordable and you can be competative for smalish outlays.

Other wise buy an RX7 or similar and run IPRA but be prepared to spend more.

The BSM GTR is still floating around and is a very good buy for the time/money its had spent on it.

it is probably a tad on the nice side to go racing with. Thats really the only reason I have gone to a race only GTR. The old car was a good car that could be registeered and was good the way it was.

The new car despite looking better is not really registerable and I dont mind banging it up.

If you buy a race only import thats the best way to go. Regardless of what type of racing you choose there is risks of accidents and driving home after the event could be difficult.

If your serious about getting into it head to wakefield park next sunday and check out the MRA series.

They are running a combined sedans class (yes skylines can compete) There are no rules but overly quick cars are frowned upon. Its cheap and very basic requirements make it easy to get into for entry level competators.

Half cage with AASA log book, normal driver protection but a proper suit is mandatory. Thats about the only real requirements that you'd need above normal supersprint stuff.

It can be very close racing at times but there is rarely body damage and everyone there is soley there for fun. I won a round or two last year and may be doing a few in the sports cars category latter in the year with them.

Sell the car and buy a race car ready to race! Unfortunatly I dont think a r33 GTST will be quick in any category unless you spend mega bucks and run sports car or sports sedans. In WA Sports Car and Sports Sedan are quicker around Babagallo than the current V8 supercars

Not sure if I would call racing a GTR cheap, although you race one and I dont so you would know better than me (I Own a 32 V spec road car)

Also not sure if a half cage is safe enough for proper circuit racing!

Ash

Sell the car and buy a race car ready to race! Unfortunatly I dont think a r33 GTST will be quick in any category unless you spend mega bucks and run sports car or sports sedans. In WA Sports Car and Sports Sedan are quicker around Babagallo than the current V8 supercars

Not sure if I would call racing a GTR cheap, although you race one and I dont so you would know better than me (I Own a 32 V spec road car)

Also not sure if a half cage is safe enough for proper circuit racing!

Ash

Running a GTR in the production car category just for some fun doesn't have to be expensive. A set of tires will last him 3-4 rounds (they will be dead by that time)

The control tire is/was the A048 which would probably last longer if using the hard compound.

Pads every 4-5 rounds depending what he chooses.

General maintance is not that bad if you drive respectfully.

For the MRA rounds here they have deliberatly kept the circuit speeds lowish and track capacity is realativly small compared to state rounds. A half Cage is all the AASA require to run in these events so that what alot of people use.

I agree that a full cage is much better but the governing body has decided otherwise so it can be assessable by budget racers.

Edited by Risking

Running a GTR in the production car category just for some fun doesn't have to be expensive. A set of tires will last him 3-4 rounds (they will be dead by that time)

The control tire is/was the A048 which would probably last longer if using the hard compound.

For the MRA rounds here they have deliberatly kept the circuit speeds lowish and track capacity is realativly small compared to state rounds. A half Cage is all the AASA require to run in these events so that what alot of people use.

I agree that a full cage is much better but the governing body has decided otherwise so it can be assessable by budget racers.

Sounds like fun, I would love to have a 32 GTR Racecar!

We run the A048 as well, not a bad tyre.

Full weld in cage should be required if passing is involved, I have seen some too many nasty side impacts.

Ash

If i was going to buy a race car then i would buy a Porsche 944. I was tempted to buy a good one that came up recently but it wasnt able to be registered (some still have road rego) but its still about 12 months too soon and i am still tossing up between a cheap circuit car for a series or a cheap Rally car to run in the HRA

Thanks a lot for all your input guys, i spent many hours at the pub last night with friends and i asked them what to do but i can not really remember the answer... :D

It will be a sad day when/if my gtst goes so i am just wanting to make sure i make the correct decision.

So your looking at doing door to door racing now Ryan?

Maybe, but i mainly don't want to spend a heap of time and money fitting a cage and playing with the handling and so forth and then end up with a very cool car for sprints etc but can not be driven on the road ( full cage) and it would not be suitable for any other class of racing due to its modifications. When i went to sell it, it could not be sold as a road car or a car suitable to race in anything other than sprints and track days etc.

I dont know if i will be skyline loyal or not. The GTRs in improved production seem to spend more time off the track than on?

I really just want to get out there and have some fun doing sprints etc and maybe have a go in imp prod. I just want track time mainly, the skyline is fun you squeeze and you are off but i think i will have just as much fun in something else.

This is the cars i am looking at:

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=10679

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=10349

They do but they dont.

It depends how you treat the car and what your luck is like!!

I had a good season in my old car last year. It suffered an engine and box failure after it was stolen and recovered but that was to be expected.

Latter in the year it smashed an oil pump but again it was kinda expected with such a stressed engine.

The datto you have there is a pretty quick car.

The problem with Turbo cars in Improved Production is you have to make big torque to make them go. The turbo restrictors limit HP so the only way to make them perform is lots of boost down low in the revs. Unfortunatly this means you break gearboxes and diffs as torque is the driveline killer.

The BSM GTR that won the IPRA nationals would break multiple PPG Gearboxes per year. (there are 2 BSM GTR's, one had OS Gearbox)

I think a Rotary is your best Bang for Buck

If i was going to buy a race car then i would buy a Porsche 944. I was tempted to buy a good one that came up recently but it wasnt able to be registered (some still have road rego) but its still about 12 months too soon and i am still tossing up between a cheap circuit car for a series or a cheap Rally car to run in the HRA

A good mate of mine races a 944 S2 with his dad in the Porka club. It's a great car, but they're selling it now as it isn't quite challenging enough. It's a bit too good for it's own good if you get my drift. Too much grip, not enough power but the 944 challenge seems like a decent series and there's cars popping up for sale all the time

That sounds interesting.

Do you have pics and specs etc.?

My Car or the mx5? All I can tell you about the MX5 is that he runs a fair amount of boost, masive willwood brakes and is flamin quick.

My 33 is fairly modified, not extreem by any strech.

Engine has a small amount of porting, mild cams, Fresh pistions, Metal head gasket, N1 oil pump and a good ballance. Cast HKS garrett T300 combo and GTR intake (just finishing this bit off) normaly makes 300 rwhp @ 9.5 psi (gate pressure)

Gbox, stock

Dif, GTR rebuilt tighter.

Rear axels and hubs also GTR.

Brakes, Stock with good pads, Hawk.

Suspension is 33 gtr HR Tien and unknown swaybars.

Wheels are 17x9.5 +12

Tyres 245/45/17 semislick or 245/620 slicks for the supersprint at MorganPark.

Body is striped and caged.

Did some testing at Morgan in Dec and saw a few laps dipping into the 1:07's on the long track, 2.6 km i think.

IMG_5016.jpg