SAU Community

The Hoon Laws In Practice

MLCrisis

hoon laws imo are a waste of time

ie. me

i agree i have my fun, but only when there are no other dangers around but to my self and it is a risk i take, i have lost a car from it already and been in 3 MAJOR crashes, which most people know of 2 of them

but i got impunded for excessive noise (wastegate), no speeding, no burnouts, just excessive noise and sudden acceleration and yeh my fault i was annoyed, but they purposely got me annoyed and i reacted badly, i take responsibility..

got impounded for 7 days, and only just got a 800 fine and it took the judge 4 times, yes 4 before he could come to a conclusion.

the hoon laws are good, but would be better if they were not just focused on the import community...

i havent slowed done, anyways like i said i only mess around wen no one else is at danger.

but my point is......

if i can get away without losing my license, and i was cleary guilty and with my record, then anyone with a clean record could get away alot easier

and i dont want any smart ass comments like "u dont belong on this forum" or wat not coz honestly who on here HAS NOT sped, done a burnout, gone drifting or some other form of hooning???

I agree with alot of what you've said above, however I still support the hoon laws. Yes, everyone has broken the rules at some stage during their time on the road. Alot of drivers see the hoons laws as being too 'general'. The cops won't fuss too much about a screechy off the lights, but they will nick you for intentionally doing a burnout. There are different levels (low and higher levels) of law breaking. I like to believe I "bend" the rules now and again, whereas there are drivers/motorcyclists who blatantly "break" the rules and put people at risk.

I've never lost my licence in 20 years of driving. I've had a small handful of speeding fines in my cars (maybe 6 in 20 years!), one car was defected many years ago (defect removed same day), never had any offence on my bikes, and only defected a bike once. The difference is I've had some advanced training, I was brought up in a family of racers who encouraged safety. I've done drag racing as well as circuit racing, and not just in SA. I know where and when I can 'misbehave' if I feel the need to. I think after proving myself for 20 years I can safely say that I have good judgement. This is what hoons lack: judgement ... as well as skill, experience and common sense. They break the law (not just bend it) without any regard to safety or judgement. Even at the age of 16, me and my mates found bush tracks up north to 'misbehave' on, far away from the suburban areas.

Pick the right environment, the right time, the right conditions, then think is it worth the risk?

I guess my attendance at Mallala and Phillip Island all these years has been my outlet and I've managed to be quite civilised on the streets. I hear people all the time saying "give us somewhere to go fast", but we have Mallala. But then all I hear are excuses ... I believe they just don't want to be responsible. They have an option and they won't take it.

Ok I just witnessed the Hoon laws in practice down the street from my house.

I heard a V8 car doing a massive burnout and a slide around the roundabout up the road from me, then he drive down the street at a extreme speed, I watched this unfold in front of me, I would guesstimate his speed to be at least 80k and accelerating in a 50k zone not bad for a block. I was on the patio watching him speed when the cops pulled onto the street a block behind him giving chase. he saw them and tried to do a u-turn into a house driveway to go the other way. bang busted. the cops got out talked to him and his female friend, all the while being heckled and taughted by kids on bikes in their teens who came to see the fun. at the same time another v8 powered car on the road behind me was doing a massive burnout. almost like a "come catch me if you can deal"? in less then 4 min they gave him either a warning or a ticket, but never once looked the car over, and it was modified a lot from the sound of it.

about a 70-71 chevy camaro, nice car for a GM car.but think either the kids on bikes , around 20 of them or not looking at anything but imports for defects. kept this car from the canary. and it should have been impounded for the excessive speed with kids on the street on bikes. some little ones too.

did the police feel overpowered ? seemed like it ?

But in retrospect, I'm glad to see they caught the idiot but the laws didnt seem to fit the crime committed ??. and I do commend the police for doing there job either way. and yes they did go around the other street to look for the other car too?lol

And to prove the laws failed, the guy in question just left with a burnout, then up the road a huge one in the same spot as before caning it down the road for a block or two? if the car was impounded it wouldn't have happened ???

but they really just need to prosecute the driver not the car? take his license on the spot and let the court sort it out later???

• 1 year later...

Firstly, my apologies for not checking up on this thread for a while!! I realise that the laws are different from state to state and that SA may not have the same issues - yet. The point is that the various versions of these laws around Australia all share the same key characteristic - that they are fundamentally unjust and unsound and represent an attack on civil liberties. I have no doubt that many young drivers, whatever their ride, are irresponsible and need to be brought to book in some way. However, the standard laws already on the statute, for dangerous driving, reckless driving, etc. present sufficient means for that, without the imposition of laws that allow unfettered discretion to the boys in blue.

I would add that I am unable to spend the time checking threads in each state's area (daft idea, really) so I will leave this thread to those in SA who care to think about the matter. Perhaps there are some amongst you who will appreciate the greater issue, see it as something worth fighting for and take that fight on in your own way.

Cheers.

a good mate of mine dannyb haqs had his car impounded for 6 months for doing a burnout and speeding anyway it came back - and ignition, mds sifter in half, snapped indercator leaver, and a few other things

i agree with hoon laws to a point but with the fact there are so many courupt police, young punks just joined the force with a power trip and so on.

so there will never be a consistant, same rules for everyone no matter what age or car as long as you have the above

EG: here is a story that some girls get away with stuff

chad and i were driving to a sau dinner way back he was infront of me, we turned from ANZAC hwy on to Marion rd sort of normal just a little fast but no slide, anyway i have flashing lights behind me so i pull over, chad waits up the road,

cop comes to my window obviously supprised that is a chick driving cause the first thing to come out of his mouth was "so your a car chick" lol any way got out of the car to chat (im quite dressed up) anyway it turns out my licence was suspended didnt know why and my car was out of rego by a week,

so he has a rookie with him and the rookie wants to book me lol, the other one chatting to me is asking about my licance i said, i pay my fines every week bla bla bla and my rego well i just forgot due to not recieving it in the mail, so now i notice he has his torch under his arm lol pointing in my chest region lol so i played on it lol he was asking where im going and ws that my friend up there waiting for me ect, moral of the story

1. not done for no licence

2. not done for no rego

3. didnt look over my car

4. he asked for my number

5. told me to drive it home

Wow. I wish being a chick got me out of fines...

Looks like I gotta get the girls out more often. Bahahaha

Cant believe what you got away with! thats amazing.

Back when I had the R32 I got defected for steering wheel, turbo timer and monster tacho I only got sent to the police station and not regency. That may have something to do with Port Lincoln rego tho? I wasnt doing anything wrong when I got pulled over, which annoyed me.

Did 139 in a 110 zone and got pulled over by a cop on a bike, at night, on my own, and got the fine accordingly.

Looks like I gotta get the twins out more often. Bahahaha

Back when I had the R32 I got defected for steering wheel, turbo timer and monster tacho I only got sent to the police station and not regency. That may have something to do with Port Lincoln rego tho? I wasnt doing anything wrong when I got pulled over, which annoyed me.

Did 139 in a 110 zone and got pulled over by a cop on a bike, at night, on my own, and got the fine accordingly.

fixed.......its rather interesting how girls get away with more then what we blokes would.....had my ex girlfriend now...but girlfriend at that time driving my car from Glenelg to Magill.....got pulled over on Anzac International Raceway.....i dont know what she did or how she did it but managed to get out of a speeding ticket, failure to indicate while turning, and the cops didnt even look at the car

Looks like I gotta get the girls out more often. Bahahaha

Jeez, I thought you got them out enough already :blink:

Jokes ... please don't hurt me :)

got pulled over the other night, had a female cop. Got my balls out, apparently it doesnt work both ways.

LOL.....so many lines to be said there Damo.....just dont like being banned

I hear people all the time saying "give us somewhere to go fast", but we have Mallala. But then all I hear are excuses ... I believe they just don't want to be responsible. They have an option and they won't take it.

I agree with you on this, however people like to be lazy and like convenience. Circuit racing cars require plenty of work, where as if we get a Drag stip and circuit at The Port even teens in stock cars can go racing down the strip, and keep it off the road.

If we take the problem off the road i believe police will calm down on picking on cars if they know people are taking it off the street. Police could concerntrate on larger issues.

I want this as do many others.

This is who im supporting in the upcoming election as a result, Joe Ienco

Take a look :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Jo...nd-t309632.html