SAU Community

MY skyline starting to piss me off!!!

The solution is simple... Don't buy a rooted skyline.

Do your research, get the car checked by someone in the know, learn as much as you can about cars and general maintanence and don't rush in.

I waited 18 months before I found exactly what I was looking for. I've had my car for over 12 months now and haven't had a single problem other than having to machine the brakes and I knew I'd have to do that when I bought the car.

I probably could have found a skyline for a bit cheaper than I paid but like they say, you get what you pay for...

did you get your car fully checked out before you bought it?

i did and i got a heap of fproblems fixed by the dealer before i bought it

only problem ive had with my whale was the clutch went, but i was treating it pretty rough anyway

apart from that, my car has been spot on from the get go

Originally posted by howhow82

GCG is based in Sydney. Any branch in Melbourne? or is there any shop like GCG dealing with turbos in melb?

Thanks

Dude there are so many good workshops in victoria that can help you out!!

Sounds like your mechanic isent a turbo expert and a regular run of the mill backyard sorta bloke.

Go into the vic section and theres a sticky thread there of all the good workshops.

Also i will have my stock s2 turbo and manifold for sale soon, but u will be the 3rd person interested in it.

I don't think a mechanic's inspection is worth the paper it's written on. Pretty much everything they do you can usually find yourself if you know a bit.

Probably the only thing I've learned since getting the car which I didn't check when I got mine was checking the turbo bearings for play. Fortunately, mine is still in perfect condition :D But you can't really tell if the clutch is 90% worn (ie just before it starts slipping), you can't tell if the radiator is slightly corroded and *just* about to leak, you can't tell if hoses are just about to split, etc. All you can really do is stuff like pinch-test the hoses and listen for unusual engine or drivetrain noises etc.

As long as the engine is good (ie, no coolant or oil-related smoke problems) then I would say that the turbo has to be the last major thing to be fixed. If you sold the car after fixing that you would be throwing a lot of money down the drain.