SAU Community

MY skyline starting to piss me off!!!

I got this R33 skyline like 2 months ago.. Within this 2 months i had spent like $4000 for all the repair bit. The first problem was a broken clutch, then follow up with a burst radiator and then the heater spoil. I am really broke now. T

Then now come out with a new problem. According to the mechanic, he said that my turbo charger is spoil and is starting to suck up all the engine oil and leak out thru the seal. Then he quoted me around $2500 to fix it. Let me rephrase. That's actually not fixing but to get a new turbo charger. Is the price reasonable? Is it better to go for second hand one?

Anyway, have a thought in my mind..... Is it worth keeping for this car???

Please help me....

Thanks heaps

Sounds like all that it needs is a replacement of the turbo seal?!! You can do it yourself if you want to put a few hours in, and for maybe $100 for the gasket.

Sounds like they're also charging you for a brand new whole turbo from factory, when a 2nd hand will do you fine, assuming there is actually a major problem with the turbo (doubtful).

man, I recommend you get another mechanic who isn't trying to rip you off.

p.s. the turbos job *is* actually to suck up a bit of oil from the engine, that keeps it lubricated and running. Its perfectly normal (although leaking is of course not).

Originally posted by predator666

man, I recommend you get another mechanic who isn't trying to rip you off.  

:(

that's why u have to fix yr car for that amount of $$.

for the $$ u spent, u should already got a twin plate clutch, aluminium radiator for less than $4000.

rebuild the tubro is about $500-$1000 from my memory...

$2000 u can get NEW aus made aftermarket tubro.

Thanks for the help ppl.

I have just got my car back from the mechanic.

He was quite pissed when i told him that i gonna get the turbo charger from someone else for $500. He said it's impossible unless it's a second hand one.

So, probably my car going to lie in the garage for quite sometime before i can get a new turbo. Anyone in this forum mind to tell me where can i get one? and how much is it?

"$2500 for a new turbo would get you a nice Ball bearing Garrett turbo. "

At the same time, i think if i spend $2500 to get a aftermarket turbo charger like wat "GTST" said, isn't i need to change all other stuff like fuel injection and other stuff. So gonna cost more right?

Anyway, i really looking forward for a turbo charger. Please tell me where to get one or PM me if u got one.

Thanks again

SkylineD, think of it like this:

Imagine it was the other way round, and the japanese took a liking to buying ex p-plater VN commodores. Imagine said thrashed old commodores getting tarted up , stuck on the boat, and sold for exorbitant mark ups to little japanese bogan kids.....

Now do you see why so many people get bodgy GTS-T's?

cheers,

floody

$4k for a clutch and faulty cooling system is a joke. The first thing I would do is ditch your mechanic.

The three problems you have are not really that major. I wouldn't get rid of the car unless you know it has other problems, like worn rings or something. Get yourself a second hand turbo and stick with it. You should be ok from there.

im having troubles with mine after only owning it for 2 months.

*Fuel tank leak

*Slipping Clutch

*About to spin a big end bearing

*Blue smoke blowing from engine(oil ring or valve stem seals)

*Interior fan no longer works

it only done a 60000klms and thus shat is going wrong already. Cant afford to have these problems :D so i know how ya feel buddy

Yowch sweetr33!

Well i'll admit i've got my own motivation by saying this, as i'll be selling mine soon...but there are a lot of dodgy skylines out there. You're best off buying privately and from somebody where you know the history of, and has at least been on our roads for a year or more. Even if its been imported, a service history and knowing the seller has cared for it is worth gold.

I think those people out there shopping for a $15k GTS-T because "my mate got one for $15k... and on the presige list i can bring one in for $16k, you're a dickhead for trying to sell yours for $18k" are shooting themselves in the foot to be honest.

But yup, i'm with Floody.. imagine if a car yard could offload all its thrashed old Commondoors and things that nobody wanted on a boat to a country the other side of the world they're never going to see again. You get good and you get very bad.

howhow82

it's called 'teething problems' and with some cars it's like pulling out wisdom teeth while with others it's a simple floss. you were just unlucky to get stuck with what sounds like a rip off mechanic. keep the car, get a new mechanic (sounds like you already gave him the flick) and ask for advice on the forums. there's always someone that'll help you.

sweetr33,

are you sure that car has done only 60,000kms?

Originally posted by howhow82

Thanks for the help ppl.

I have just got my car back from the mechanic.

He was quite pissed when i told him that i gonna get the turbo charger from someone else for $500. He said it's impossible unless it's a second hand one.

post up his shop name let other people beware of going there

go GCG to rebuild yr own one, so u can run higher boost (1.1 or 1.2bar) too

:uh-huh: