SAU Community

Advice For My Headlights?

Marco-R34GTT

G'day...

Just looking into getting some xenons... I've had normal globes in my car but I've gone through 2 globes on my front headlight and 4 on my left, all within a space of two years. I just had the left one again replaced last week and last night, driving back from gym, it appears to have gone again. I said to the mechanic that if it happened again I'd look into doing a xenon conversion. The mechanic also said that all the original xenon componantry (globes aside) and wiring was still in place, he also said that there could be a possible fault with the wiring that was done at compliance..

I wouldn't mind getting xenons anyway for the sake of just getting it done.. Can anyone make any suggestions to any brands, also, what are the legal implications of sporting a pair of xenon headlights?? I'm assuming there would be a limit to brightness and colour of the headlights??

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are welcome..

Thanks,

Mark.

G'day...

Just looking into getting some xenons... I've had normal globes in my car but I've gone through 2 globes on my front headlight and 4 on my left, all within a space of two years. I just had the left one again replaced last week and last night, driving back from gym, it appears to have gone again. I said to the mechanic that if it happened again I'd look into doing a xenon conversion. The mechanic also said that all the original xenon componantry (globes aside) and wiring was still in place, he also said that there could be a possible fault with the wiring that was done at compliance..

I wouldn't mind getting xenons anyway for the sake of just getting it done.. Can anyone make any suggestions to any brands, also, what are the legal implications of sporting a pair of xenon headlights?? I'm assuming there would be a limit to brightness and colour of the headlights??

Thanks,

Mark.

Stick with OEM kelvin rating (4300K). If you have to go higher then no more than 5000K. These are "white" enough.. "Blue" 8000K are just shocking. Cant stand them

HID's need also need these to be legal:

- Auto Levellers

- Washers.

The vid is a bit lame but it does cover the 2 requirements:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yAVYMijQoZ4&...feature=related

HID brands?? I guess Phillips, Hella, Bosch..

Pricing?? alot more than aftermarket kits. Im sure someone else can comment on aftermarket kits

G'day...

Thanks,

Mark.

I got Supervision 6000k installed in mine.. pretty good price.. if u want one, let me know :D

Ok, thanks for all the advice lads...

Approx what am I looking at for a decent, legal set of HIDs/xenons???

Group buy on SAU check the classifields section. I got a set of hellegkiet 6000k (however thats spelt) its a German brand, only costed $135 delivered for lo only, but if you want something like Bosch your looking at $200 plus for only a lo kit.

how much did it cost you? and are they the bluish type?

6000k is diamond white, if you want blue they are 8000k. If you want to stay legal go with 4300k, cops wont pick you up for not having the washers generally...

Edited by Dani Boi

1) Sorry if I've missed something, but what is this about washers??

2) I'm also interested with the hi-lo beam setup, what happens to high and low beam with a HID/xenon kit???

Washers:

designed to wash off dirt particles off the head light lense so as to keep the beam pattern undisturbed (easy for the eyes of on comming traffic)

check the vid in post #3

washers are really a crock of $h!t.. How are they supposed to take off bug guts???

ADR attempt to protect on comming traffic. Has little if no effect on cleaning the head lights.. but hey, rules are rules

Hi-Low beam:

Depends how deep your pockets are if you wanna get HID high beam as well. My opinion, leave high beam as Halogen. How often do you drive with your highs on?? save you money

how much did it cost you? and are they the bluish type?

4300k has a slight orange effect as u see on the euro luxury's etc.. 6000k is pure white.. 8000k is slightly blue... higher than that and it starts to go blue to purpleish...

I've got 6000k as pure white gives you the best result in terms of brightening up the road *sorry bad english* and also cause my car is white :down:

Cost me 280(fitting included).. Got it from Mao at EvoR which I think there is also a group buy in one of the topics in the forum..

Color Chart

I just had a check on the AURA website and im assuming ur globes are H7's? If they are, and you wanna get HID's for ur high beams as well, you will need to get 2 sets..

If I have not mistaken, certain brands(such as AURA) produces globes that has dual-chambers which allows you to use low beam and high beam from the single globe and its only offered on H4 sizes..

Also be reminded if you have 2 sets for high and low beams, you'll also lose some engine bay space as you've got double the amount of ballasts...

Hope that helps :down:

P.S. I've posted the color chart on my previous post if anyone wants to know what is the color for different Kelvin ratings..

I'm guessing he drives with his highs on quite often, living 360kms out of Perth. And the bug guts is a big problem on Mark's car... :D
/\--------------- Yup! :down: . What young Rhys just said.. :P

Fair enough.

If money is no option then convert your high beam to HID. If youre good at DIY's then you'll save money on istallation. If not, theres more money to fork out for a pro install.

Cheaper option:

Stick with halogen high but change the bulb to 90w or 100w. plug n play FTW!!

Sorry for being late.. was too tired last night and had to get up early this morning :)

Here's the pics :banana:

The last pic shows the brightness of it when it hits a surface.. it was reflecting off my gf's accord.. the car was approximately 6 metres away..

Hope it helps :)

post-27632-1234526296_thumb.jpg

post-27632-1234526317_thumb.jpg

post-27632-1234526336_thumb.jpg

post-27632-1234526352_thumb.jpg

G'day...

Thanks,

Mark.

wire the old factory xenons back in , theres like 2 wires to change , everything is still there . unlikely to be the conversion to h1 as there are only 2 wires changed but stranger things have happened . its more likely another electrical issue though .

i have some spare bulbs for stock setup grab a couple next time your in

Edited by autoworx