SAU Community

Possible to hire a strip for a Drag Day?

T0nyGTSt

You could hire the Skid Pan at Oran Park, not 1/4 mile but long enough for a quick little drag against others. (I was beat by a 200SX, a turbo MX-5, and an S13... i need practice)... and a bit of a sideways play

Watching some Tiff Needel/ Jeremy Clarkson vids got me thinking about the small airport/runway out near Hoxton Park (Cowpasture Rd is it?)

An air strip could be cheaper, i know they use to run car events at the old Schofields Aerodrome when it closed down, but its gone to the dogs now.

I was going to suggest a road in that industrial area near blacktown...but I'm not sure if we can get CAMS approval for that :confused:

Dino, I take it we would need the usual cams officials to organise something like this? We need to make sure there is public liability insurance

Originally posted by Duncan

I was going to suggest a road in that industrial area near blacktown...but I'm not sure if we can get CAMS approval for that :confused:

LOL

Hill Road, Olympic Village :D

Maybe we should invite the HWY along to make sure it doesn't get too rowdy.

My reason for asking is that maybe some of us aren't ready or don't want to do EC just yet.

T.

I'm thinking that with EC in its current state (ie; a temporary Drag Strip) that it wouldn't be possible but im sure when the new 1/4 is open (<2mths i believe) then it will/should be available for hire.

hiring out an abandoned air field would be preety interesting. Ive seen this done in New Zealand (off the net), where they had 1/4 mile runs plus 1000metre runs aswell, and was quite organised, alot of cars and electric timers etc

Could this be done under the CAMS licence SAU has?

does anyone know if OAKS air field is not used anymore?

from what i have heard hiring airstrips is a thing of tha past unfortunately. (images of racewars, fast and furious come to mind) It would be awesome to line up cars with similar mods etc.

i hope the ppl who suggested a public road in an industrial area are joking, like thats ever going to happen,

Yes fast31, I was joking, we don't do that kinda thang round here.

But public liability cover for the club was a major reason we became affiliated with CAMs, and as long as we follow their rules we most certainly can run an event like this.

The problem is that the CAMs rules include some specific requirements for officials, in particular clerk of course and stewards which the club can't meet at the moment.

But if anyone would like to help the club get to a point where we can run events like this whenever we want, here is the thread....

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...&threadid=20608

Isnt Eastern Creek for hire anymore for these types of things..... i know you needed in the past an Ambo if you planned to do over 80kph and that was about it..... it wasnt cheap though let me tell you, something like $5000 for a Saturday or Sunday

no, its not that expensive Brett...... i use to have the rates and requirements here on my PC at work but i have deleted them....

also read this morning in Speed magazine that CAMS are now going to get involved with drift, burnouts, beginner and advanced driver training, cruising and go-to-whoa events which should be great for motorsport in general :(:)

mmm I found out about this 6 months ago and maybe the base strip hire isn't that dear but by the time you pay for the strip to be treated, christmas tree lights, ambulance, officials etc it was very dear, I hope i'm wrong though I'll give them a call today