SAU Community

Where To Get Audio For The V35 Installed?

Hey all,

thinking of spending k-rud's $950 on an audio upgrade.

The speakers to me are good, might add a small sub.

But i'm thinking of 2 options.

#1 getting the bose system changed over to something.

#2 replacing the DVD player to a different dvd/mp3/cd/ipod player and run it to the screen as a slave and run through the AUX.

few questions.

Who in sydney knows the system and can do a clean install?

which is the better option? replacing the big system or adding the new head unit where the dvd player is?

will there be sound quality issues with running stuff through the AUX.

Also, finally, if one way or the other, what is a good product to throw in either section.

As i said i have the $950 to spend, not much over including install.

Thanks all

#1 - require new 2 din facia, and your ac control may have to be rewire. expensive facia considering exchange rate. may loose your factory screen too, but give u wide choice in 2-din unit

#2 - do u mean dvd rom in upper glove box? u cannot replace it without loosing all audio / video. that thing is the brain. u'll be better off doing #1, or have the dvd rom relocated somewhere else, ie iunder passenger seat but that require someone with genius rewiring skill. not for the faint hearted.

Welcome to the world of V35...

u can add to the system via aux, leave it, or rip it all out.

I got navi plus dtv tuner and dvd changer in boot all added via aux in.

got dosh?

they $950 will be eaten up by the panel swap and interfaces alone. if you are serious have AT LEAST $2k to do the job. ALL the speakers will have to be swapped out as a start and then the car stripped to get most of the OE gear out.

to retain the OE screen the 'DVD' unit MUST STAY. that runs the screen and controls.

I have contacts in sydney and if need be they fly me in to tackle these cars.

I work on these cars almost daily. questions ask.

thanks for the replys

so whats my best option??

The cd player is temperamental. sometimes it plays, sometimes it wont, but when it does i love it.

just wondering why chris the OE speakers need to be replaced if i was to do a total upgrade?

For $950-1200 what are my best options?

Maybe just a Ipod and a wireless ipod connector???

thanks

Why not just do the iPod install yourself?

Get a PA11-NIS off US ebay.

It simply plugs into the back of your existing unit... or at least it did with mine.

Shouldn't set you back more than $300 total with current crap exchange rates.

No need for CD's then. Just dump them on your iPod in Lossless format.

No skipping either :P

Edited by iamhe77

do it a better way and drive the ipod off teh steering wheel for roughly the same price. no steering controls - no problem - have those too..

as for the speakers- bose use stupid impedance speakers in ther systems to achieve the power output they claim. fine if you wish to retain the OE amplifier, bad if you want to run a radio only with them.

cd player is fixable at a cost of course.

like most things in these cars its takes a bit more money to mod them.

do it a better way and drive the ipod off teh steering wheel for roughly the same price.

Hey Chris is this a DIY job for average skill level (was able to put in the band expander you provided no problem).

Also, is there any display on the deck as far as artist or album as the G35 guys have been able to do or is this on the US units only. Seems like to could be a challenge if you can only control the ipod from the stereo but can't see where you are up to when scrolling.

Hey Chris is this a DIY job for average skill level (was able to put in the band expander you provided no problem).

Also, is there any display on the deck as far as artist or album as the G35 guys have been able to do or is this on the US units only. Seems like to could be a challenge if you can only control the ipod from the stereo but can't see where you are up to when scrolling.

+ 1 for the questions.

Im buying one of these from Chris as soon as my LCD Touch arrives from O/S. I plan to use the aux in/ipod connector off one of Chris' devices.

can anyone explain how does it really work?

So you can connect an ipod to the original headunit, then control from ipod? or the headunit?

Anyone has done this and can do us a favor to post a pic here?

Thanks!!!!

G35 guys have a PN2615 or better (radio part number) they have TEXT capability. the 2414/13 that the JDM cars run doesnt support text and as such will display CD6 T-**. that said it does work quite well for music if you have some idea of the content of your ipod.

as for fitting it - if you can tear your dash down then you can fit this easily.

micah, if you are reading this show them the silver car's radio.

danny,

you drive the ipod off the radio or steering wheel. you can do it off the ipod if you want but its really not required.

geek,

its the same one I spec'd for you.

thanks for answering.

Do you sell similar part or the same part? Rather than buying oversea, i prefer buying here..

How i wish i can just go to your shop and get everything done.. Such bad luck that i m in Vic :)

danny,

you drive the ipod off the radio or steering wheel. you can do it off the ipod if you want but its really not required.

geek,

its the same one I spec'd for you.

Well it's settled then, ipod adapter is next on the list, once you have had it... so very hard to go back to CD's. The question is if fixing the HID's or cruise control (with factory buttons of course) should come after it. Bring on K-Rudd's cash and i'll pump it straight back into the economy (read: Chris's pocket)

I could of sworn I upgraded from the 33 so my car wouldn't be a moneypit any more!

any car is a moneypit. the difference is where the money pit are going towards.

buy an Alfa and you'll spend lots of dosh on repairs - if you caught my other post in VIC forum, my bro in law's Alfa is not fixed yet after so many wks.

buy an M3 and you'll spend lots of dosh on annual insurance - I almost bought one, insurance was quoted $3.5k, I bailed. Mind you that's for 35yo R1 with almost perfect history (1 or 2 fines over 10 yr).

with R33 the money pit goes towards power mods - which I spent $15k on top of my car

with V35 the money pit goes towards huge rims and gadgets (dvd, tv, ipod, and perhaps in-car internet???) - which so far I've spent like $8k

The only exception is Toyota. So far we haven't spent anything on our RAV4 except regular service. For some reason owning Toyotas usually don't inspire people to turn it into a moneypit. (Except perhaps if you own a TT Supra and Celicas)

G35 guys have a PN2615 or better (radio part number) they have TEXT capability. the 2414/13 that the JDM cars run doesnt support text and as such will display CD6 T-**. that said it does work quite well for music if you have some idea of the content of your ipod.

as for fitting it - if you can tear your dash down then you can fit this easily.

micah, if you are reading this show them the silver car's radio.

Sorry guys: only found this thread tonight: I'll post pics of my ipod setup tomorrow when it's light.

Chris, Should the Griffin setup in my other car display video from the ipod?