SAU Community

Idle Dropping, Car Stalling

Skyline34

Hey guys,

Whenever I come to a stop my car will idle fine, but then after a few seconds it will drop and the car stalls.

Sometimes it won't stall and it kicks back up to normal again.

Previously my R34 was running fine, yesterday I bought a cannon muffler and got it installed, and it didn't have the problem beforehand.

I took it to my mechanic and he reset the ECU but I'm still having the same problem, he then increased the idle to 900 but still it drops and comes close to stalling (but hasn't stalled on me with the increased idle yet).

Has anyone had this problem before? Can you please help me diagnose the problem? :blush:

Any help/advice?

I have no idea, but remember it could just be a coincidence. Don't kill hours trying to solve the problem based on the muffler install, start with simple, cheap 5 minute checks and see if it helps. If you had installed a full exhaust that was much more free flowing and had an oiled pod filter the extra air drawn through can put oil on the afm and cause false readings. While this may not be the case, it is where i would start before doing more time consuming things, which is why your mechanic tried simply resetting the ecu before anything else like getting the spark plugs out and checking for fouling etc

Once again though, I'm not a mechanic

its gotto do with back pressure of the exhaust if its related to the cannon, was the old reonator removed and replaced with the canon? ive got a feeling its the 02 sensor and the ecu combined, I had the same problem in a manual r33 gts-t.

My solution was partly due to a number of things...

i cleaned AFM,

Changed spark Plugs,

Cleaned throttle body....

gained alittle more power and car stopped stalling, but it would still drop almost to a stall at roundabouts and stuff....

i ignored the problem since it didnt complertely stall anymore and just thought its an old engine....

i changed the 02 sensor from the original nissan one to an EL falocon 02 sensor for $70 from repco, cut the wires and tied them together and replaced the old one....not only did i gain an extra 100-200km/tank but to my surprise my revs stayed constant at idle and never dropped below 700rpm no matter how i drove it...

most likely your 02 sensor is broken coz they meant to be changed every 40 000km anyway. you will spend $70 on a falcon one like i did or $200ish for nissan replacement part, either way you will definately get your money back by saving fuel over a few months...

see if that works, and if it doesnt, the money you save from fu3el with the 02 sensor will help you to pay a profesional to find the prob...

its located at the beginning of your exhaust pipe just after the engine....

100% the O2 sensor is dead, my car is doing it right now as well and has happened a few times in the past. Change the sensor and everything runs like new again :down:

Which O2 sensor? And where is the O2 sensor located? (car is a R34 98 Automatic, 4door non turbo)

The 02 sensor is located on the exhaust manifold. If you're not too good with wiring etc - best stick with a genuine 02 sensor :D

Also check for vacum leaks (vacum hoses) and the main intake pipe between the afm and the throttle body - make sure its on firmly.

While you're at it it is a good time to clean the throttle body too.

• 11 months later...

mate belive me,

try these steps.

before u stops the car put it into N. see how u go. if it not stall that is ur Automatic Transmission.

just chk ur fliud level. 100% its too low. top up with fluid in between L-H make sure to not to over fill.

see how u go.

if not, dont waste your time with doing crap.

possible case is ur TCC Solenoid in the auto box. it is not a expenvice part. [$50-70] if u have a skill u can do it by ur self. other wise take it to good transmission repare workshop.

if u in sydney PM me i will tell u where to go.

Hey guys,

Whenever I come to a stop my car will idle fine, but then after a few seconds it will drop and the car stalls.

Sometimes it won't stall and it kicks back up to normal again.

Previously my R34 was running fine, yesterday I bought a cannon muffler and got it installed, and it didn't have the problem beforehand.

I took it to my mechanic and he reset the ECU but I'm still having the same problem, he then increased the idle to 900 but still it drops and comes close to stalling (but hasn't stalled on me with the increased idle yet).

Has anyone had this problem before? Can you please help me diagnose the problem? :banana:

Any help/advice?