SAU Community

R33 Overheated, Now Will Not Start :(

boostdef

Hi all,My mothers car broke down, so I did the nice thing and leant her my r33 gtst whilst hers is getting fixed. Anyways, heres the story,Driving along the M1 she says it lost power and gave her no warning. Pulled over and stopped the car and then inspected to see radiator hose broken and no water, and a cooked enginer. Oil was black and burnt to the buggery.So i was then told that some nice fellow helped and got the radiator hose fixed and and put it all back together and topped up the oil and water, but now it wont start.The oil pressure gauge does not move when cranking. Maybe this has something to do with it.I will do a comp test tomorrow when I get home but can anyone else suggest something else to look for? I know im probably looking at rings but hey, heres to hoping.Might do an RB30 bottom end now.

It turns over but has a slight bad note(Although i listened to it over the phone). seems to go dum dum duuuum dum dum duuuum dum dum duuumThere was no oil in the radiator, and no water in the oil.No oil or water leaks that can be seen (After fixing radiator hose of course).Cheers guys.

You have probably warped the head. Most good repairers will not touch the head now (ie try and straighten it).

Time for a new motor.

Alright I confirmed my fears, theres no comp whatsoever.

Now, how do i pin point whether it is rings or the head? Would like to think some of its salvagable.

I would have thought if the head was warped, you would still get comp in a few cylinders? (Along with water in oil and vice versa) ??

Your block and bottom end should be ok but the rings and the head will be shot.

So wouldnt there be oil on the spark plugs if the rings were shot? or wouldnt the pistons be slapping around? Ahh well ill replace the whole lot I suppose seeing as it looks like it cant be rebuilt.

I love it how this shit happens straight after you buy a boat lol

sad isnt it :laugh: I wouldnt mind if it happened revving at 7000rpm punishing it. But to come to its demise with a harmless lady behind the wheel was dissapointing.

I was experimenting before, and I poured oil into the cyl and the comp readings rose. I heard this is how you tell if its the rings. They went from 30~40 to 120~130. Does this conclude that its just the bottom end?

Say I took the head off and with a metal ruler there was nothing wrong with it? Does this mean that its all good?