SAU Community

Whats The Best Way To Get R33 Handbrake Working Well?

i have a c33 laurel with an R33 5 stud, brake and hub upgrade, but i cant seem to get the handbrake to work real well... i can only get the rhs rear wheel to lock... as this is a drift car that is a pretty big problem!

i am used to the s13 setup that uses the caliper to lock up the rears as opposed to the drum type setup on the R33. what is the best option? upgrade brake shoes? hydraulic h/brake? lock the diff? :laugh:

i really have no idea how to approach it... any help would be awesome!

Check the handbrake shoes for wear and check if the handbrake cables are not loose.

It should lock very good if all in good nick. No point in buying some aftermarket handbrake shoes or anything. Even a hydro.

thanx for your replies guys.

i've tried adjusting the cables (the tension in the main cable and the balance from side to side)

doesnt seem to do much though except change the feel at the actual handbrake lever, still only locks up one wheel... got me stumped!

whats the deal with setting up the hydro? do you run new lines to the rear brake calipers from the handle and have seperate lines to run front brakes only through foot pedal? i understand how it works when there are two calipers fitted to rear disc, but not sure how it will work with the hydro?

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i have adjusted it... but i have a bit of an issue.. a couple of the little adjusting tabs were broken off.. so i have gone one tab two far... not normally that much of an issue but because of the broken tabs i cant go back... what do i do??????