SAU Community

Message From Neil

Nene260RS

Wow, I never said Martin didn't know how to tune. Never said anything about his occupation or contribution to the import tuning scene, or work he's done with Zoom etc ... don't know where that came from? It was never a personal attack. I was speaking about his contribution to SAU cruises etc. I respect the guy as a tuner, but I do not agree with his "good luck with the cops" attitude.

I'd be happy to talk car tuning with him any day of the week, I love cars just as much as he does. But I just do not agree with his summary of 80% of Skylines are illegally modified. This is too broad a statement ... something we've been trying to narrow down with Neil over the past months. Its illegal if its a blatantly unsafe mod, but there is a grey area where most mods fall into ... something we need discussion on with an expert like Neil.

Anyways, I'd like to see Neil get on this forum and get a "Ask Neil" thread sticky happening. Of course, there'd be no one answer fits all solution, but I'm sure his advice will 'guide' you to what is and isn't an unsafe modification.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of you need to learn respect for your elders.

Respect the Mods.

Respect Donnon (as pointed out he was tuning cars and running 10s before nearly all of you even had licenses).

I have spoken with Sled this morning and given him open slather to give people who piss him off a WEEK holiday from the forums. We also monitor ips, so just try to open a new account if you get given a holiday.

This is going to stop. I do not want any responses, case closed - week-long bans will be issued shortly.

Good on you Nene, everyone needs to do what they believe in, otherwise life becomes a forum :laugh:

And thats what I'm doing mate. Fighting for something I believe in. I believe things can only get better if a relationship with SAPOL is established and a clearer understanding of what is an "unsafe mod" is communicated, before a defect is issued. I have just felt that some of your comments have come across with "good luck with the police" negativity. Its hard enough with the younger members talking rubbish about cops and defects, but when I read a comment from someone of your status in the community that is too broad a statement (illegal mods), I take it as negative and against what we are trying to establish.

I'm not apologising for being passionate and a car enthusiast. But I do apologise if you thought it was a personal attack ... it was not.

People like Nene, Kellie, Ben and myself have taken that step forward and comminucated with SAPOL to get an understanding between the two groups. Some people just don't believe it can happen ... and its not an easy job to do. Kudos to Nene for keeping it up.

Peace.

Add: thats why we also have these mini meets at Vilis and BP; so we can discuss these kind of topics across the table in a relaxed atmosphere, rather than on the forum where things get out of hand too easily.

Gee Andrew, I think Martin and I (and you?) would be about on par with each other!?! Don't know if I'm insulting myself or you guys now :sick:

Edited by RubyRS4

Gee Andrew, I think Martin and I (and you?) would be about on par with each other!?!

ill organize a lawn bowls cruise for you guys or something :sick: just messing. im no kid these days either.

was not aiming to attack anyone just trying to say we shouldn’t be presenting our club in that manor especially not in this particular thread.

delete whole thread except original post i reckon :laugh:

Wow, I never said Martin didn't know how to tune. Never said anything about his occupation or contribution to the import tuning scene, or work he's done with Zoom etc ... don't know where that came from? It was never a personal attack. I was speaking about his contribution to SAU cruises etc. I respect the guy as a tuner, but I do not agree with his "good luck with the cops" attitude.

I'd be happy to talk car tuning with him any day of the week, I love cars just as much as he does. But I just do not agree with his summary of 80% of Skylines are illegally modified. This is too broad a statement ... something we've been trying to narrow down with Neil over the past months. Its illegal if its a blatantly unsafe mod, but there is a grey area where most mods fall into ... something we need discussion on with an expert like Neil.

Anyways, I'd like to see Neil get on this forum and get a "Ask Neil" thread sticky happening. Of course, there'd be no one answer fits all solution, but I'm sure his advice will 'guide' you to what is and isn't an unsafe modification.

i kind of agree, but i think the attention should be paid to the actual defect system, not the officers enforcing it. when even u give an officers a bit more power, there are always going to be those who are gonna use the flexibility in the law to abuse it. a good cop will use the law how its intended, and thats great, the issue is when u get a cop that abuses the law for one of the many reasons.

now u cant change the fact that there are defect happy cops, but u can get rid of the flexibility in the law that these cops use to defect us.

i kind of agree, but i think the attention should be paid to the actual defect system, not the officers enforcing it. when even u give an officers a bit more power, there are always going to be those who are gonna use the flexibility in the law to abuse it. a good cop will use the law how its intended, and thats great, the issue is when u get a cop that abuses the law for one of the many reasons.

now u cant change the fact that there are defect happy cops, but u can get rid of the flexibility in the law that these cops use to defect us.

I understand your argument, the main thing I'd like to point out tho is that the cops who defect have a right to do so... not everyone who wears the uniform has mechanical knowledge and they operate on reasonable doubt. If they reasonably doubt the car is legal, then they'll defect to send to regency (aka the experts *guffaw*) to get it clarified.

What sucks isn't so much that they have the power to defect, my major gripe is that regency charges you money for it. So if you get defected because the cop doesnt know, then it costs you money (on top of any further fines the officer wishes to give).

If regency dropped the tarrif, I'd happily take my car thru there. Considering the windfall this government has had on speeding tickets since the 50kph limit was introduced, I think its something that might be able to be looked at. I myself have had 3 speeding tickets over the last 18 months and they were ALL for doing under 60kph in a 50 zone. Fair enough I hear you say, however some of these zones were woefully marked, and/or occurred during a natural transition from 60 to 50. That sorta policy turns everyday drivers into criminals. To think I've lost a quarter of my demerit points upon this basis only (12 demerit points, 1 point per fine - really sucks).

So, Mr Rann has gotten over $600 from me - surely they can't argue that they can't afford to subsidize the running costs of regency?

Kate Ellis works near my house. I may have to book an appointment with her and have a good old fashioned whinge.

-D

cheers NEIL and NENE for the message

much love for the work & relationship the two of you are harnessing

makes me rest assured, that thru my 'driving style' I'll continue to have no issues on the road, no accidents, no speeding fines, no pull-overs

'cause thats how it is when you do the right thing on the metropolitan streets.

:sick: just cause Ive got an RB engine and participate as a keyboard warrior on a widely read forum doesn't paint me out as a so-called target on the road.

drive safe, drive aware.

Nene, sorry this thread has been infiltrated by OT posts and certain individuals who thought that subliminal messages towards a Mod would be greeted with a smile....but I'm just not in the mood for that crap right now!

Hence why we won't be hearing from a ceratin member for awhile and why, for very good reason, I made this post public.

If you want this thread locked Nene, my finger is on the trigger.

hey Sled,

I think both sides of the party have made thier points. I'm happy for the thread to stay open for positive discussion about Neil's message.

I trust if any more outbursts occur from whomever, you will make the choice to lock the thraed :D

Nene

maaaaaaannnn..........

SAPOL are prob sitting back with there coffee's and gourmet glaze having a right ol' ROFL at this thread.

having a go at Donnon for not going on a cruise? big deal....

respect for elders, what happened to that?

geez.

respect for elders, what happened to that?

Playing the devils advocate, age alone does not warrant respect. Respect, like honor, is earnt.

That said everyone please relax and understand that there are many people in the world who won't agree with you.

Neibuhr "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference"

-D

umm do we know you martin? i havnt meet you on a cruise before i dont think

i like the way people judge people by how many cruises theyve been to.

officer neil is baiting everyone on here, and all you poor suckers have taken the bait, hook, line and sinker.

i like the way people judge people by how many cruises theyve been to.

officer neil is baiting everyone on here, and all you poor suckers have taken the bait, hook, line and sinker.

I like the way you listen to your paranoid thoughts and then feel the need to publish them on a public forum!!

Hows about everyone chills the F*$K OUT and congratulates Nene on her achievement. Getting a call from Neil is no fluke, she has put in the hard yards and the fact that he felt the need to call her and talk about it instead of publicly jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers like the rest of the police force and labor politicians is a victory in itself.

I like the way you listen to your paranoid thoughts and then feel the need to publish them on a public forum!!

Hows about everyone chills the F*$K OUT and congratulates Nene on her achievement. Getting a call from Neil is no fluke, she has put in the hard yards and the fact that he felt the need to call her and talk about it instead of publicly jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers like the rest of the police force and labor politicians is a victory in itself.

Couldn't have put that better myself.

:P

nisskid couldnt reply due to sled banning him thinking him discussing the defect system was a conspiracy to subliminally attack him so he asked me to post this reply to dohmars post:

I understand your argument, the main thing I'd like to point out tho is that the cops who defect have a right to do so... not everyone who wears the uniform has mechanical knowledge and they operate on reasonable doubt. If they reasonably doubt the car is legal, then they'll defect to send to regency (aka the experts *guffaw*) to get it clarified.

What sucks isn't so much that they have the power to defect, my major gripe is that regency charges you money for it. So if you get defected because the cop doesnt know, then it costs you money (on top of any further fines the officer wishes to give).

exactly, we are being sent to regency off the word of a officer who may have next to no mechanical knowledge. which wouldnt be so bad by itself if it didnt cost u $140 and render ur car useless until ur appointment.

not only that but its a system that fails to do its job, and thats getting unsafe cars off the road. atm its main job is as a tool to convict drivers who have a bad reputation, but havnt done anything wrong. as ive said many times before, i wouldnt mind going through regency once in a while if i knew the system was being used to get shitboxes off the road. but it just isnt the case, i have owned and know many mates with unsafe shitboxes that have never been even had a 2nd look, yet u have guys driving their close to standard imports getting defected all the time.

even so the statistics that show how many fatalities are atttibuted to defects in cars doesnt even come close to warrant the amount of emphasis there is on defecting cars.

the funniest part about this, is u have all these import drivers getting scared of police, and buying shitbox daily's for less than 1k, spending most their time on the road with these rusted out shitboxes with tiny brakes and shitty tyres, and their expensive cars are sitting in the garage which have been regularly maitained, running big sticky tyres, big brakes as well as many safety features u get with the more expensive cars.

system failure? i think so.

as i said, u cant change the attitude of the people who enforce these laws, but u can fix a system which gives them the flexibility to absolutely rape u without any real justified cause.

im sure sled will some how interpret this post wrong some how so just incase this ISNT about you sled, it seems every post these days needs to come with a disclaimer so mods dont think its a subliminal personal attack.

Yeah, I was surprised that he contacted her, its very commendable to have a proactive approach from an officer who isn't getting anything out of this - Tim, you may think that its a bait, that is your right, but I tend to look at the glass being half full and give the man the benefit of the doubt. Some people do actually try to work in the best interests of everybody and theres no reason to assume that there is any mendacity behind his contact.

-D

EDIT -

im sure sled will some how interpret this post wrong some how so just incase this ISNT about you sled, it seems every post these days needs to come with a disclaimer so mods dont think its a subliminal personal attack.

Your post was fine up until that line.

Edited by Dohmar

Playing the devils advocate, age alone does not warrant respect. Respect, like honor, is earnt.

That said everyone please relax and understand that there are many people in the world who won't agree with you.

Neibuhr "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference"

-D

neither does a bloody post count.