SAU Community

M35 250t Buying

StageaM35

Hi there,

I've only just come across these forums when looking for info on the M35 Stagea's.

I have gone through the search results for info on the M35 looking to see if there are any noticeable things I need to look for when buying these cars. I've read about the bushes going and some cracked subframes is there anything else I should look for?

The car I'm looking is a 2004 250T RS Four model done 100k's. Private seller. I have driven the non turbo 250RX (96k's on the clock) models and they ride well and feel very solid and refined but lacking a bit of punch hench the turbo interest me.

I'm looking at getting a AA inspection done to make sure there is nothing major wrong with it but they can miss things.

I'm in NZ by the way :D .

Cheers.

Is that from running extra boost? Not looking at modding the car just wanting it to go well from stock. The Stagea just seems so much more refined than the Falcon wagons I've driven.

Thanks.

... but then that gives you a great excuse to go highflow :(

Quiet a few people on here have blown the stock turbo (i.e. ceramic internals?, correct me if I'm wrong).

But from everyone who has gone down the highflow road, they have been more than happy with the results, and further more with the addition of a new engine management system they have managed to gain better fuel economy with more bang.

the standard turbo is not as strong as a rebuild will be is all

mine went after one month at 80000 kms

Yep, mine went at around 110,000kms.

If you do get a 250t, the first thing you should do is get a 3" turbo-back or at the very least dump-back exhaust.

It is more the back pressure on the exhaust wheel than excessive boost as stock ARX's seem to push ~15psi on full boost

Not much else has gone wrong with mine (2001 model with 148,000kms on the clock), just a wheel bearing assembly needed to be replaced (they are a sealed unit).

Can't complain at all, performance, space, build quality, comfort and good economy for a car that size.

Also, put the right set of wheels on one (for the colour) and you would think you are driving a Lambo with the amount of stares you get :(

Was thinking about the exhaust to help release a bit of pressure off the turbo. A car warranty insurance of 3 years should be good cover if anything was to happen.

Thanks for the replys guys, been very helpful!

is the turbo really that bad?

Mine has done 93000km now and all seems fine with it.

I've always thought that in stock form it'll be fine. Mine only hits about 7-8psi max (going by the factory guage). I figured that an exhaust might be good but then it will raise the boost a little which could be harmful to the turbo. Being ceramic they would carry the same limit of around 14psi as the older stageas/skylines. Many people on here can attest to the fact that the stock turbo will not last long if boosted near or over 14psi.

Fingers crossed mine stays intact - car is completely stock and will most likely be staying that way.

is the turbo really that bad?

Mine has done 93000km now and all seems fine with it.

I've always thought that in stock form it'll be fine. Mine only hits about 7-8psi max (going by the factory guage). I figured that an exhaust might be good but then it will raise the boost a little which could be harmful to the turbo. Being ceramic they would carry the same limit of around 14psi as the older stageas/skylines. Many people on here can attest to the fact that the stock turbo will not last long if boosted near or over 14psi.

Fingers crossed mine stays intact - car is completely stock and will most likely be staying that way.

7-8psi?

If you have an RS and are referring to the stock gauge? If so I think you mean ~0.8bar (11.6psi) @ 3200rpm, yes?

This is what my RS was boosting to under full load as well.

Once I put on the dump-back exhaust that reading stayed the same but full boost was 1bar @3600rpm... maybe more, but the stock gauge only goes to 1bar.

good thinking, I did only after the fact :)

Hey guys, are these a safe and comfortable cruiser?

Is there anything that I should look out for when considering one?

Cheers

Hey guys, are these a safe and comfortable cruiser?

Is there anything that I should look out for when considering one?

Cheers

:) ....

As stated above.

THE TURBO!!!

Just reduce as much back pressure on the thing as possible. If you want to mod, get it HiFlowed or replaced.

Perhaps shift your gaze to the upper right of your screen. In between Members and Help is a handy little button, try it! It really works!!

btw, they are an awesome cruiser.

Edited by iamhe77

Hi again all, test drove a RXFOUR tonight, 56,000klms on it. Did not have the tv in dash or dual sunroofs but I really enjoyed it.

Depending if I can get a little loan from work for the change over, you could be looking at a new stagea owner :P:)

it's missing so many pimp features!! :)

Gotta love the dual sun roof, pop-up screen with sat nav.

But those are just extra things that can go wrong, if it's in good condition and drives well I'm sure it will keep you very happy :P

Had my RS for nearly 2 months and I'm still loving everytime I drive it.

it's missing so many pimp features!! :)

Gotta love the dual sun roof, pop-up screen with sat nav.

But those are just extra things that can go wrong, if it's in good condition and drives well I'm sure it will keep you very happy :)

Had my RS for nearly 2 months and I'm still loving everytime I drive it.

Yeah its missing the tv and satnav but I prob would not fork out the cash for those to be converted into english anyway. Only thing I am sad about is the sunroofs but hey, ill get over it. I am coming from a auto Jazz here :P

7-8psi?

If you have an RS and are referring to the stock gauge? If so I think you mean ~0.8bar (11.6psi) @ 3200rpm, yes?

This is what my RS was boosting to under full load as well.

Once I put on the dump-back exhaust that reading stayed the same but full boost was 1bar @3600rpm... maybe more, but the stock gauge only goes to 1bar.

Yeah sorry my bad. The series 1 & 2 stageas run at 7-8psi (i used to own a s2). You're quite correct - the M35 is about 0.8 bar.

1bar is definitely too high for these turbos...given the number of posts on here about the stock ceramic turbo (skylines, earlier stageas) disintegrating around 14psi. I'm assuming the turbos, if not the same, are very similar to that of the earlier stageas?

I had issues with the turbo in my last stagea, but it was like it before I had the car. I ended up putting a highflow in that and the only advice I'd give to anyone going down the same path is, if you're not planning on spending thousands on performance mods, go for a highflow turbo as close in size to the stock one as you can find. I would trade max boost for quick response in a turbo any day (ie. I ended up with a very laggy stagea, and after spending that much money - I couldn't afford to change it). :D