SAU Community

My 26/30 Build - Nearly There

stomper

Jim at CRD never had my car overnight...he simply knows where it has to be. This is what you pay for...experienced operators are worth the money.

I could reach into the car and turn the key...and the engine would fire into life everytime when cold.

Maybe your not as fussy as me, I like my road cars to drive perfectly when cold, winter, summer, desert or snow. Anything less than perfection annoys the hell out of me and I avoid driving the thing. Even with race cars these days I hate ugly running anytime, I'd much rather spend the time getting it right. Running Ethanol just demands that much more time be spent on the overall tune, tuning for power is quick, tuning for niceness takes a lot longer and you can't do it on the dyno.

Cheers

Gary

Maybe your not as fussy as me, I like my road cars to drive perfectly when cold, winter, summer, desert or snow. Anything less than perfection annoys the hell out of me and I avoid driving the thing. Even with race cars these days I hate ugly running anytime, I'd much rather spend the time getting it right. Running Ethanol just demands that much more time be spent on the overall tune, tuning for power is quick, tuning for niceness takes a lot longer and you can't do it on the dyno.

Cheers

Gary

Are you suggesting i accept less than perfection? Have you not seen my cars? Would i accept my car running 'ugly'? Are you suggesting CRD or Godzilla or Guilt-Toy do not get it right?

I demand perfection!

Thats whay i use a proper tuner. :(

Yes i agree with one thing above...you are and old fuss-pot.

Edited by DiRTgarage

How does he tune the cold start and run when the engine isn't cold?

Cheers

Gary

i also think it comes down to experience as paul suggested - i never had starting issues with crd's tuning

i also think it comes down to experience as paul suggested - i never had starting issues with XXXX tuning

I refuse to get into a debate about how good or how bad a particular tuner is, it serves no purpose, and everyone has an opinion. Some even have good reasons for their opinions. So, as far as the following is concerned, it wouldn't matter who tuned it, so XXXX it is

Starting is one thing but how does it run when its cold?

Tried it at Bathurst altitude, at 4 in the morning at -5 degrees?

How about Hidden Valley race track in Darwin at 45+ degrees?

Handle power steering, air con and electrical load?

How's the fuel economy?

Are you sure it's as good as it should be?

As a result carrying excess weight in fuel for the race?

Or too many pit stops?

Sticking a car on the chasis dyno for power run or two then saying it is tuned is niave in the extreme, it's less than 10% of what tuning really is.

Cheers

Gary

point taken - there are many ways to skin a cat :)

fact is that everyone has good/bad stories to share on all tuners (regardless of experience)

its the classic ford v's holden debate, although they both suck lol

Bloody Computers!

Lets sort a few points of order here:

1. Peter at Advan has more years experience than i care to think of - he's built race engines for Mazda, including engine development. He sourced the G4 for it direct from the guy who owns link (personal friend of his in NZ) becuase he had allocated the ones he had in the shop, and Link can't keep up with overall demand. The Ross balancer i bought was missing a couple of screws of the back, so he got "Mr Ross", himself to bring them over (again personal friend). I know this because i have spent many hours talking to him (ever rung Jim Berry??)

2. He built the engine in the car, so there is little point in taking the car elsewhere at this point (if I wanted to).

3. I see the time i invest in the car and in the relationship with my workshop directly pay for themselves. I paid for 6 hours of Dyno time over three days for the full tune - this was in real terms starting at run 31 and finishing at run 134 if you check the Dyno logs. He diagnosed a failing TPS at low throttle/idle, and whilst i am no expert on tuning (as I would save a whole lot of $$), I do know that even though one block can look and read the same mods as another, they are far from equal.

4. I, like others, have poured a huge amount of cash into the engine for this 30/26 build, given all the inherent dangers of tuning to high power and the cost of quality parts, why would i risk a quick and dirty tune on upwards of $20k invested??? For that kind of money, i want someone to work on my car wearing kid gloves, and tucking it up each night in a freaking doona! I fell like i get that.

We all enjoy our cars and what we do to them for different reasons! I may put this one on a track every now and then; I don't fang it up and down my street and smoke the tyres at lights becuase i am tring to get a girlfriend - I do it becuase I am trying to improve on a great piece of engineering and add my own little mark to it; why would i be getting ripped off if I agree to put it in for the time it needs to be done with care and attention.

There are lots of good tuners out there, what makes it different for all of us is how we get on with them and the trust you have when you hand over your keys and walk out of the workshop, to know that it will still be in one piece and not an addition to someones turbine collection in their jar (if you ever read that old post!)

+1 for CRD and +! for all the others listed - I read up on the work they do; but believe me when i say thet I wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

Mike

as long as ur happy mike, we've all heard good n bad in most tuners (albeit not crd) lol just 4 laughs :D

im interested to know wat rev limit are on to make 350rwkw?

wats peters thoughts on e85, have u considered this?

I'm with SK and the others...

Takes a few days to get the cold tune and RUN perfect...

Yeah, can get the car to start and idle fun, but getting it to drive off without a cough or stutter... Big difference, getting all the extra loads perfect... They're the master points!

meh, I'd just plug the G4 in and bounce it off the limiter, DONE....

Congrats on the build, 350rwkw's will be intereting enough in a 2wd platform let alone 450 haha.

Its there for fun so enjoy it :laugh:

• 1 month later...