SAU Community

Is The 05/06 Update Model With The Extra Coin?

Gentlemen,

Just after some opinions on the 03/04 model against the 05/06, please.

At first I thought an 03/04 was the one to go for considering the brembos and better looking standard wheels (and the price difference of course!). But I'm no longer sure as reports seem to suggest that the 05/06 is a better drive - which is more important to me.

Was an LSD standard on either?

Any reasons why I should spend at least $5 - 8k more on an 05/06 model?

Cheers

at the end of the day what matter is that 05/06 has a newer built, not how they drive. I'm interested to see this 'reports' you mentioned...

I think LSD is only available on track specs, doesnt matter which yr it is. I think Brembo is a big + over the OEM non-brembo brakes... I dont think u'll notice a lot of difference between the two other than the brushed alum interior.

I will post them later tonight. Obviously relating to the G35 series rather than the skyline specifically.

Actually to me, the differences in the model matter more than the fact it was churned out of the factory 12 months later...

So do these "track spec" ones actually exist? I know you can tell the existence of an LSD from the build plate, one of the last letters has to be an B or D or something.. but anyway.

no they dont come standard as far as i am aware on any model after 04

they come with standard brakes

it was one of the main reasons i bought an '04 model manual because the 05/06 didnt come with brembos

the later models do come with the projector headlights, better interior trim, updated dash interface, and the later model rear tail lights to name a few.....

Not anymore Stephen, not ev3n optional !

In the land where everyone sues everyone , the usa customers lodged class action against nissan/infiniti that the brembos wear out too fast (and also noisy).

This prompts nissan/infiniti to use 320mm standard front and 308mm standard rear brakes and deleted any brembos option in the 05/06 update models.

Fyi - early 03/04 has standard 296mm front n 292mm rear OR optional brembos 324mm front n 322mm rear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 06 Model's have 221Kw as opposed to the 206kw's of earlier models. Same time as when the Z's were advertised with the Bulged hood, more kw's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 06 Model's have 221Kw as opposed to the 206kw's of earlier models. Same time as when the Z's were advertised with the Bulged hood, more kw's.

I thought that is only for the Z car... ? they call it the Rev Up version..

I think in the US they had some rev-up engine...

A quote from a 350Z forum "the difference in the 06 is, that it has variable valve timming on the intake and exhaust so they had to change the ecu to control the timing. the 03-05 only have variable valve timming on the intake side only, even the 05 rev-up"

Not anymore Stephen, not ev3n optional !

In the land where everyone sues everyone , the usa customers lodged class action against nissan/infiniti that the brembos wear out too fast (and also noisy).

This prompts nissan/infiniti to use 320mm standard front and 308mm standard rear brakes and deleted any brembos option in the 05/06 update models.

Fyi - early 03/04 has standard 296mm front n 292mm rear OR optional brembos 324mm front n 322mm rear.

so what is the latest year with Brembo's available?

03/04 build only.

some early 05 may have brembo due to the fact the car may be built in 04 but didn't get registered 1st time until 05, and it's common to have that misconception about the year. but basically stick with 03/04 if you definitely want to find anything with brembos. but look at it, even 05/06 model the front 320mm rotors is only 4mm smaller than 03/04 brembo fronts, and the rear 308mm is only 14mm smaller - although if you look at the calipers 05/06 only have the single piston floating calipers just like std non-brembo 03/04. so yeah, the brembo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear calipers do have advantage.

or better still if you're cashed up, get 05/06 modelll and then purchase a set of brand new Infiniti G37 brake caliper rotor and set from US and custom-fit it locally. it used to be about $4k from riverside infiniti but now could be about $6k due to shitty exchange rate. The G37 sport calipers & rotors are A LOT BIGGER than 03/04 brembos... (the front alone is 355mm !! the rear is 350mm - eats Brembo for breakfast!) BUT you need to get an 05/06 with factory 19" wheels otherwise the G37 calipers won't fit behind the std rims.

Oh forget the whole thing, Stephen, if you're cashed up, GET A V36 370GT SP !!! even better. no mocking around, 355/350mm brakes... sweet....

My build date is Nov 04 and is a series 2. It didn't cost me anything more for the series 2 I don't think, it was the manual that made it more expensive!

Aside from visual things and raw numbers there is also the little things that are hard to quantify like maybe a thicker hose here and a slight change there that you don't see that the engineers will have fixed over time. Much like fixing the CD changer mechanism in the later ones which might save an expensive stereo fix sometime down the track.

To me personally, I am really glad I ended up with the series 2 (especially when I need to tear down the dash!!) but am certain that if I got exactly the spec I have in series 1 there is no way I would be disappointed (as long as I still had my factory 19"s).

Cheers Rianto... cashed up? i wish!

As for the Brembo's, obviously the size, piston numbers and quality of the Caliper is just as (if not more) important as the disc size...

Same size and piston number Brembo is always going to be a little better than a standard caliper...

So do these "track spec" ones actually exist? I know you can tell the existence of an LSD from the build plate, one of the last letters has to be an B or D or something.. but anyway.

yes, easiet way to tell is the steering wheel, they come with stainless steel leather MOMO steering wheel... very few in Aust though, personally, I've only seen 2...

Airbag Momo steering wheels is an option, I think u can have it on non-brembos , the thing is if u have bose premium u'd want a steering wheel audio control , so it would be very rare that any sensible owner in japan would wanna tick the momo option on their premium as it'll delete the audio control.

i've seen track with brembos but standard steering wheel , as track model don't get it automatically