SAU Community

Middle Muffler / Resonator Thingy In The Stock Exhaust V35?

Hey all,

quick question.

The middle muffler / resonator part in the middle of the stock system, is it just a noise reducer or drone reducer or what?

Will removing it make the exhaust louder? I do have a after market muffler but it could be that tiny bit louder. Its deep but needs an extra kick.

Or will it stuff with epa if i take it out etc etc

Thanks all.

Edited by V35 Matt

i wanted to get the same thing done, and had the same view about the noise....it does make a difference from the couple of 350z vids ive seen on youtube.

Yes it is only a resonator...and btw whats epa?

Hey all,

quick question.

The middle muffler / resonator part in the middle of the stock system, is it just a noise reducer or drone reducer or what?

Will removing it make the exhaust louder? I do have a after market muffler but it could be that tiny bit louder. Its deep but needs an extra kick.

Or will it stuff with epa if i take it out etc etc

Thanks all.

Just a resonator.

Cat converters affect EPA.

So how much will it increase flow without it? and how much louder will it get?

I dont want stupid loud, just enough rumble.

I doubt there would be any kind of meaningful flow increase.

Put it this way, my Fujitsubo Legalis 3" exhaust has a resonator on it in a similar style, and that thing flooooooowwwwwwssssss.

It has more to do the size and design of the pipe than having a resonator.

Would be a bit louder than stock. Don't think it would be enough to fail a noise test though.

Why not just have a larger rear muffler installed?

Or even just a larger tail pipe.

Edited by iamhe77

I asked Midas about it, and they said that the main muffler down the back is so large that removing the mid muffler wont be a huge difference, or maybe not a difference at all....but im thinking, nissan did put it there cuz maybe the stock rear muffler wasn't cutting it. Not that im saying it was a last minute bolt on, just my theory on it.

the resonators on my car are gone

car sounds a bit raspier at higher revs

normal driving no difference

so BLISTIC your running the stock system without the resonator?

I had a look on this thread and they were talking about the exhaust components on a 350z...and said "The OEM Mid pipe consists of 60mm mild steel piping with several mild bends and curves. There is a short resonator muffler near the Y Pipe end which some 350Z owners have chosen to remove claiming performance gains and a more aggressive exhaust note"

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Exhaust_system_overview

I had a look on this thread and they were talking about the exhaust components on a 350z...and said "The OEM Mid pipe consists of 60mm mild steel piping with several mild bends and curves. There is a short resonator muffler near the Y Pipe end which some 350Z owners have chosen to remove claiming performance gains and a more aggressive exhaust note"

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Exhaust_system_overview

that is basically what i have done

i dont know about performance gains cos i dynoed it at 177.1rwkw seems about right

just the exhaust note when you floor it, sounds a bit better.

You will find that the resonators that fujitsubo use are simply "straight thru" cans. e.g, theres nothing really in them.

That's right.. well mostly.

As you can see, one of the "cans" is blanked which I presume aids in reducing the noise considerably.

FujitsuboLegalisR.jpg

Why would you want something in them?

Turbo + high flowing Exhaust = :wub:

I was offered a "high flowing" custom exhaust for my car, but to keep the sound down, he would pack the muffler with steel wool.

I would imagine this would eliminate the "high flowing" capabilities of the unit!

cutting out the resonator n putting a straight pip thru is like 40-60 bux at an exhaust shop. you shouldnt go wrong. ive done it to my s2000 and it get throatier sound, thats it. cant really go wrong for $50. you can always weld the resonator back in if you wanted to.

the difference would be audible only, power wont change from this...

the illusion of power being that of a slightly higher exhaust note is all **UNLESS** you had an aftermarket exhaust on and the resinator was actually restricting things...

sounds stupid, but does happen on a lot of imports, last car I bought and brought over, pulled the resinator out, and it was a 3" pipe / resinator

but on further inspection the 3" resinator was hollow and had a 2" resinator welded into it... hard to explain and i've lost the pics... in that instance

removing it = more power

:D

I might be interested in trying this though, for $50 etc, you know when you stick it to these cars they get a little throaty, for purely wank factor

little bit more of a throaty sound never hurt anyone :)