SAU Community

For The Guys Wanting Entry Level Motorsport!

Risking

yeah...ive gotta get off my ass and drive up to sydney and start having a proper look...look on the net is all very well and good but....cant plonk my ass in seats or try on suits/boots/gloves etc with out actually being there.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Copied from Ando

2.3 Main roll bar: Structure consisting of a near-vertical frame or hoop located across the vehicle just behind the front

seats.

2.4 Front roll bar: Similar to main roll bar but its shape follows the windscreen pillars and top screen edge.

looks like if I want to run ill have to hack my dash :D

So basicly im out unless I get a dedicated track car

post-16947-1248425600_thumb.jpg

for the guys that know...this is a cams approved cage (in an FTO) can I do somthing similar in my 33?

Soz for all the questions but I am dead set not hacking my dash

Copied from Ando

2.3 Main roll bar: Structure consisting of a near-vertical frame or hoop located across the vehicle just behind the front

seats.

2.4 Front roll bar: Similar to main roll bar but its shape follows the windscreen pillars and top screen edge.

looks like if I want to run ill have to hack my dash :D

So basicly im out unless I get a dedicated track car

Yeah we are tyring to ascertain if we can run the front roll cage down the front and curved around the dash. BUT reading the above info i found it would suggest a front roll cage has to follow the A pillar all the way to the floor without deviating more than 70mm from the pillar.....

longs underneath will be fine, esp for AASA. Double check with them if you are concerned but the whole concept is cheap, safe racing without needing over the top rules.

around the dash is not possible in a skyline/silvia while meeting cams regs. you need to stay net to the a pillar, and only bend once. which is very sensible from a safety perspective, I reckon those thin tube jap cages thst bend 3 times will fold like paper in a real crash

cool cool...can we get away with front legs like the ones in the pic i posted?

Edit - In the MRA regs it says that pre-2000 cars can have an alloy cage...yet weve now been told that we need a CAMS aprroved cage...I dont know of any CAMS cages that are alloy

Well if Dunc is correct we should be able to get away with a cage as per your pic andrew... check below guidelines for full cage. One bend only coming down infront of dash should be ok..... SHOULD BE...

post-263-1248427782_thumb.jpg

no they are just falling in line with cams rules as the earlier comment said (must comply with the rules are the time).

At some stage (maybe pre 2000?) alloy cages were fine, you just need to poke around older race cars. I'm sure AASA are trying to give older cars (there are heaps in sheds around the country) a place to race cheap. In fact CAMS allow any material or design you want if you have it structurally certified by an engineer ($5k plus), the rules they publish are just the cheap way to meet their minimum requirements

This is the current cams regs which you will have to comply with http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen_re...dule_J_Q309.pdf. Regarding the front legs it specifically says "Front roll bar: Similar to main roll bar but its shape follows the windscreen pillars and top screen edge......The front leg of a front roll bar or of a lateral roll bar must be straight, or if it is not possible, must follow the

windscreen pillars and have only one bend with its lower vertical part"

No way you can do that in a skyline when the dash is 20cm deep at the bottom of the a pillar. And there's no point having a roll cage thats not safe anyway. If its a race car cut the dash, its easy and cheap.

I guarantee if you are racing the car a cut in the dash will not be the last damage you do to it

I guarantee if you are racing the car a cut in the dash will not be the last damage you do to it

This is true!!!

The prev owner did the chop and cut with the mx5's dash and did a pretty good job.

Also seen some vids of him racing in QLD....very close racing and some panel rubbing!

hahah this is door to door racing remember....if you are not willing you get close enough to rub panels you might as well stick to super sprinting - its the getting close/direct competition that is the core of the excitement of racing. If you aren't willing to get close you will get eaten alive by your competitors who are.

And once you've tried it anything else on a race track will seem a little second rate.

ya i know.... time to take a cement pill and start hacking at the interior.... not fussed about panel rubbing, look forward to a little car to car 'Morse code' :D You can pick up S13 panels for cheap cheap

yeah...i think ill wait 6 months before taking to my dash with a saw....ill make sure everything else is done on the car first...and knowing me the car will break somthing before too long anyway

Sooo cage will be the last thing I do