SAU Community

Can You Help My Gf?

gumflapper

high

my gf is doing an assignment for uni and she has chosen the "Anti-Hooning Laws". She basically wants 2 know what you guys think should/could b done to stop import/performance cars being targeted under these laws?

she has already interviewed several ppl from various age groups/occupations/etc. and she would like the opinions (serious opinions) from the fine ppl of this forum (no ranting/bullshit) that are in the form of recommendations so that they could (but wont) be forwarded to the real police about what actually happens.

thanks

adam

Hi Adam, thought I would add a few comments........I havent posted anything on SAU for a long time, but thought I would kill some time while the baby has her arvo nap, and this is an interesting topic.

I think you are asking for some comments on "what we think should/could b done to stop import/performance cars being targeted under anti-hooning laws?

Police will always target Jap imports and high performance cars. This will only increase, never decrease. Here are a few reasons why:

• Police target these cars because the majority of these drivers are young men who are more likely to speed and participate in risky behaviour behind the wheel.

• Cars that are noisy, modified, fuely and fast are becoming more and more socially unacceptable to the majority of Australians.
  • As far as I knew, as soon as you modify an import (swap original parts for non-factory), you are breaking the law. Correct me if I'm wrong?........Police target imports because they know that the majority of owners start modifying their cars as soon as they purchase them. This is a really easy way for the Police to get their quota for the day.

• Towns and cities all over the world are become more and more people/pedestrian friendly and greener. Speed limits are reducing, and streets are being share by cars and people. The last thing the majority of our community wants is for a loud (and therefore is percieved as fast) skyline screaming past them on a sunday morning while their sipping their coffee, walking their dog or pushing a baby in her pram.

Times are changing, therefore, its pretty hard to find ways, virtually impossible actually, to stop import/performance cars being targeted; but here are a few ideas:

• Stick to the speed limits, and drive like your mother is in the passenger seat at all times.

• Keep high rev's in the suburbs and around town to a minium as it always draws unwanted attention.

• Never-ever get a noisy blow-off valve.

• If your getitng modifications done, you need to be clever about it. All after market gadgets and parts need to look like the original, be in the same place, or better still, in the same packaging. You want the Police to look over your car and see nothing out of place, nothing too shiny or new. There are a few smart workshops around now who understand this and realise it is the only feasible and practical way forward. I actually see a time in the near future when workshops will be fined for performing certain modifications. (I think there are some new laws for exhaust workshops that will make them liable for cars that are to noisy?)

I have owned my GTR for almost 10 years and I have never been booked or pulled over for anything. (although twoogle has rarely been driven on the street for the past few years). I have been a passive observer of the import/racing scene for the past few years, mainly 'cause I've had a baby and now I just watch from a distance while Paul follows his passion. Unfortunately, the more I see, the more I think our days are numbered.

Cheers, Stacey D (Mrs Twoogle)

.........Stop giving reasons WHY he might be getting targeted, he never said HE was or SHE was (being targeted)

Dear Skyrine

YES he did - he clearly states thats the motivation for her taking on the topic as a Uni assignment.

If you have ever been to University you will know that Do you have ANY common sense?

I have been to University and was at a selective State high school before that so I have no reason to be apologetic nor would I have even mentioned it except for your asinine comments. As for you, your sentence (reproduced above ) suggests you may need additional coaching in grammar. I could help but I am not in Brisbane.

And why are you so afraid and hostile - (because thats the root of most hostility: fear) - do you react the same with everyone that holds a different point of view than that which you may hold?

Don't be afraid - take my approach: be open-minded and ask a question or challenge a pre-conception when its appropriate.

In closing, I can only trust that you can try to be happy for the rest of the day and, please, do not hesitate to seek proper therapy if your anger management problems get out of control again - lol. :)

:) umm ok. So your parents have money to send you to a "Selective" high school well done.. Who cares about my Grammar the grammar police aren't here to arrest me for missing a comma or an apostrophe.

Not all of us were blessed with being able to attend such luxurious educational facilities like yourself, although id still put myself above average as far as intelligence goes. But what I lack is the want or need to express that on a car forum.

As to being angry and hostile, ive read your previous posts and all they seem to do is derail the thread and you belittle the original poster just because you cannot understand what he or she is trying to get at.. How come everyone else can understand and give a decent answer but then a dickward like you comes along and tries to show off your e-ego.

Oh and as for the rest of the day I will be happy, as for the therapy, I do not think Ill be needing that. Thanks though, stupid wanker :P

Edited by Skyrin3

thanks for the serious replys rb25kateosaurus and twoogle... both replys are appreciated and im glad that you both understand what it is that im asking. just to clarify for the uneducated - personal opinions on what could be done to stop import/performance cars being targeted?

rb25kateosaurus

maybe the police, government and so on should try and work WITH the car community and work out some compromises? make more places for car enthusiasts to hang out.. open more tracks, more often, create a meeting place on a weekend? they should work with us not against us they arent doing anyone any favors and are making it worse for everyone

a very good and valid point

mrs twoogle :)

I think you are asking for some comments on "what we think should/could b done to stop import/performance cars being targeted under anti-hooning laws?

yes that is what i asked and your reply was very helpful. (not my words - my gf's... she thanks you :P)

KV2R34GT

i hope i word this correctly as such so that i do not become the target of your internet wrath... but if i ever need the useless, uninformed opinion of an immature, apparently senseless keyboard warrior such as yourself... i will ask.

that aside, this seems to be developing into an interesting topic with the exception of a particular user who i will not name. it would b a shame to get it locked/closed. so can i ask that people with valid opinions (such as that of Basti, sunnycoast, Benzino33, Imtorging, redevil, ZENNON, simpletool, madbung, sneakey pete, Skyrin, rb25kateosaurus and DiRTgarage) keep posting them up and to the few very highly educated people who seem to have nothing else to do but pick out my grammaticallll errors... dont

thanks

adam

• The last thing the majority of our community wants is for a loud (and therefore is percieved as fast) skyline screaming past them on a sunday morning while their sipping their coffee, walking their dog or pushing a baby in her pram.

Of course, if its old mate in his (loud) done up XB falcon its all good and fine. Or mr businessman on his way to work in his Porshe., etc.

C'mon guys dont have a domestic in this guys thread if you have a problem PM each other :)

Of course, if its old mate in his (loud) done up XB falcon its all good and fine. Or mr businessman on his way to work in his Porshe., etc.

I have to agree, if there was a shiny new Porshe and a skyline on the same street, and the Porshe was speeding, i can tell you now it wont be the porshe that gets pulled over!

police motto is to protect and serve yeah? not protect and serve and make money?

I thought police were hired to protect, keep an eye on the community etc how is defecting some poor kid for having a skyline with a blow off valve protecting anyone?

maybe instead of letting deadbeats get off with warnings for graffiting, willfully damaging and violence increasing their fines and reducing defects it would be alot easier - why do we even have traffic police?

example

was at court the other day

1. 2 men, beat the crap out of a group of 6 men, closed down a bar for the night as a result - walked away with $100 fine each

2. 1 man, drunk and disorderly, brutally bashed a police officer in his street - walked away with $250 fine

3. 1 man, wilful damage to a neighbours property - walked away with $150 fine

then it came to defects and traffic related offences and the penalties were shocking

-loss of licence for 2 years for driving to work whilst disqualified 28 days suspended sentence for trying to make a living and stay off the dole

-loss of all points for an exhaust etc i dude had 3 points left - he had a blow off valve, one bald tire and steering wheel and lost his licence

it was terrible!

but IMO if they want to reduce hooning, defectable cars, etc they arent going the right way about it

i find it really unfair for the ones who are doing the right thing and taking it to the track and then getting done to and from

police shouldnt sit outside QR after an event, it just makes people angry and hate on police even more

they should be trying to get car enthusiasts on their side and then perhaps drivers will be more likely to obey the laws and work harder to do the right thing!

Yous is hot^^^^ :laugh: Saw you ripping it up on the Goldie

If more elder people drove imports it would be so much better for us. Lately Ive seen many oldies in allsorts and makes of Imports (moslty S13's, R32's 300zx's). I spoke to a fella at the servo and I asked him if he gets much cop attention and he said that he gets pulled up a fair bit but they don't even bother looking over the car once the see that he isnt young. His car isnt stock either....

A little off topic.

Does anyone remember Operation Drag that used to happen years and years ago on the Gold Coast?

There used to be heaps of Police with their own Torana's, Capri's, Falcons and Kingswoods and early Commodores dressed up so everyone knew who they were (even a heavily modified Police car specifically used for the events) racing against all forms of life.

I cant help but want to point the finger and say "You've changed man"

What once had its name held high, a name that most looked at as a safe haven for some speed and fun is now the name of legislation and operations that strip you of what little fun can be had. Resulting in huge fines, loss of license and in some cases loss of vehicle in some cases for those simply unlucky enough to be pulled over whilst driving a modified car.

I'm against the stupidity that the people being targeted are laying out on the streets but for those that get pulled over time and time again for just driving from A-B. Enough is enough.

I don't know how many times i have been pulled over in my cars for random breath tests and license checks that have led to the bonnet being opened and a 30 + minute conversation followed by an opinion that is generated purely on how the conversation travels.

If i was short of time on some occasions and really needed to keep traveling it went sour very quickly and the badge was waved high.

On the other hand, if i divulge my professional life outside of the car industry and what ever car i am driving at the time it often leads to well, leads.

As much as everyone hates it, the laws are there to protect the community no matter how biased or rediculas they are, the intentions are generally favorable to the general public.

I have an acquaintance that hit and killed a drunk male stumbling across the street while drag racing and he was sent to jail for 6 months.

Was the punishment justified? Yes, some would say too lenient, though if you are stumbling across the street drunk, it doesn't matter whether a car was speeding or racing or just traveling from A to B you deserve what ever wheels you end up under. As even if the sentence is not jail for a regular driver, the damage to your life is ever lasting for both parties. Its very much open to interpretation.

Racing on the street was not the use it was ever intended for.

Pick your skirts up and go to a track day if you have a problem with being booked for doing stupid shit on the roads.

Circuit racing and drag racing at a track is so much more fun and exhilarating anyway as its a competition of numbers from first to last.

Being pulled over for doing nothing but driving your pride and joy is another thing that really needs to be addressed. As said above if you were driving a Porsche and speeding and going the other way was a speeding Skyline then its obvious the Skyline will be tea bagged.

For some its a matter of money, for others they have spent 3 Porsche's on their car to have it travel through time. (Flux Capacitors are expensive)

Stacey has covered the obvious parts of driving life though tell your girlfriend to campaign for raceway on the Gold Coast and piss off the idea of an AFL stadium. Don't let the private sector get involved either as they will f**k it when they get greedy and just build houses on the land like Oran.

Its never going to change though, only get worse.

For shame.

well i think its just getting out of control the amount of laws they are trying to pass against the 'hoons' of the community. all because some idiots in a hotted up skyline or import crashes into a tree. the first thing they blame is the young drivers, because of their apparent lack of driving skills. well why not have the government fund a defensive driving course for the new drivers. that way they can have the confidence of handling their vehicle. secondly, they blame the vehicle. if they actually think about it, the mods we perform actually enhance the characteristics and safety of the car if done properly.

so what i guess i'm trying to say is how about these government types and police alike stop blaming the cars, stop blaming the p platers and stop trying to put law after law on the shoulders of us enthusiests and start looking at improving the drivers training through defensive driving training courses funded by the government.

thanks for all the replys guys... shes handed the assignment in now and has covered numerous areas of legislation and POV's from various people...

in a few days when i get a chance ill write up some of the interesting rules/facts that shes come across during her reasearch...

thanks

adam