SAU Community

Cam Gears/camshaft Mis-match?

Hi all,

Is it ok to have HKS Cam gears with Tomei Pon Camshafts in an R34 GT-R??? Ie. doesnt have to be HKS cam gears with HKS camshafts and Tomei with Tomei etc?

This wouldnt effect the tuning process would it?

Also on a bit of a side note, would the Tomei Type B poncams (260 IN & EX, 9.15mm lift) be better suited to my car equiped with a pair of Garrett GT2860R-7's (with support mods) than the Type A which is 260 IN & 256 EX???

Better suited as in, more power in a wider power band?

Cheers,

there is not much difference between the type A or B set. you'll be happy with either.

and yes there is no problem with running different brand cams gears with the cams. though having said that I prefer the tomei gears to the HKS ones. but if you already have HKS ones I would just use them.

Hey man, jst wondering if you have had the car dyno'd before installation of the camshafts + gears as id like to know whether they are a worthwhile mod. Ive read conflicting reports about stock cams being better; are there noticible gains to be had for turbo's that small?

any1 care to share

cam gears are definitely worth doing. cheap to buy and fairly cheap to install and need 1 or 2 hours of set-up and you'll get good gains on stock or small turbos. up to 30kw mid range is possible and usually some decent top end gain too.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hey man, jst wondering if you have had the car dyno'd before installation of the camshafts + gears as id like to know whether they are a worthwhile mod. Ive read conflicting reports about stock cams being better; are there noticible gains to be had for turbo's that small?

any1 care to share

Yeah no worries, i'll compare them and let you know how it all goes once I have fitted it all up and tuned it... might be a while tho... :(

cam gears are definitely worth doing. cheap to buy and fairly cheap to install and need 1 or 2 hours of set-up and you'll get good gains on stock or small turbos. up to 30kw mid range is possible and usually some decent top end gain too.

nice nice, 30kw in the midrange would feel very meaty indeed.

Ok off to the traders section to buy now, should i do my timing belt while im at it?

Yeah no worries, i'll compare them and let you know how it all goes once I have fitted it all up and tuned it... might be a while tho... :banana:

thanks man, very nice choice in car btw :bunny:

If you do your timing belt you may as well do the tensioners etc while your there, you can get away with slipping the stockers off the belt and slipping the replacement aftermarkets on

thanks man, very nice choice in car btw :laugh:

Same to you. lol. :blink:

Oh and Beer Baron, I might get back to you regarding one of your brand new Nissan timing belts... we'll see how we go.

Cheers,

If you do your timing belt you may as well do the tensioners etc while your there, you can get away with slipping the stockers off the belt and slipping the replacement aftermarkets on
yeah do the timing belt. in fact you can buy a brand new genuine timing belt off me! :D I'm selling two spares ones cheap... :)

*cough... :rant:http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Br...Rb-t272004.html

sounds good baron, ill pm you about it now.

jst quick what are tensioners? is a change required due to wear

Im quite excited about the cam gears as ive got my dyno run at 255awkw and would like to see the gains that are produced simply by adding them, ill be dialing them in for midrange.

tensioners and other bits etc are part of a 100,000km service, if you do change the belt you may as well do the full 100,000km service and get it done and over with

tensioners and other bits etc are part of a 100,000km service, if you do change the belt you may as well do the full 100,000km service and get it done and over with

How much do tensioners roughly go 4 for an R34 GT-R?

if you do change the belt you may as well do the full 100,000km service and get it done and over with

So does that also mean:

Tensioner Bearing Spring

Timing Belt Idler Bearing

Cam Seal

Crank Seal

Water Pump

Thermostat....

aww ive only got 25k on my car so a long way till 100 lolz; might be paranoid and do it all 50k