SAU Community

R32 Gtr As Daily Driver?

Hey guys

Wanted some info on R32 Gtrs for those who have them or have had them. What was good, what was bad, weaknesses, strengths, whether you recommend buying one. Also it would probably be used as a daily, what are the pros and cons of using it for this.

Cheers

Dec

I used my R32 GTR as a daily at times...

You can JUST get by with it.

Depending on your clutch, suspension and tyre setup. You get a bumpy ride if everything is set up for "racing", if it is all stock, you will be fine. (Avoid pot holes at all cost) LOL!

Engine wise, Stock plenty of power getting from A to B and plenty of potential for light all the way to race track mods.

Fuel wise, if I were to drive it as a daily, I do about 250kms per week and that is about half a tank for me as my car is stock except twin air pods, down and front pipes and a High flow cat.

Depending on how light your foot is will depend on how much fuel you use.

If your daily travels to work and back is just a one trip there and back home per day, you should be fine.

Depending on how you drive, if you need to get to places quickly, you just need the turbos to warm up and cool down.

For cool down time, install a turbo timer or just leave a few minutes early, so when you get to your destination you can allow for cool down time.

Although some ppl just let it sit for 30 secs or a minute, depending how hard you worked the turbos, you will need more time.

General maintenance and service - oil, oil filter change and over inspection of anything that needs to be fixed or replaced is OK but be prepared for the big bill if the main things on the car need replacing.

After fixing everything or whatever needed to be fix, keep up the general maintenance every 5000kms, treat the car with respect and drive responsibly, the car will take a long way.

Thanks for the info mate, that really helps. My current car does around 14l/100km's, give or take a few litres, so im no stranger to average fuel consumption. I wouldnt really mod the engine much, focus on brakes and suspension for the first little while.

If you do a search there's a very good thread on running costs from GTR owners, also another few threads about daily driven GTR's from first hand experience.

I used mine as a daily for a while, it was good, faster than most cars you see in traffic when it had 260rwkw, but also used way more petrol than most cars you see in traffic

With the right clutch and suspension they can be a pleasure to use as a daily. With that said i bought a supra and now the supra is the "everywhere" car, the GTR is too much effort in comparison.

A think a good setup for a daily would be;

-All new bushes

-R33 GTR rims

-stock suspension but lowered a bit

-Nice gear knob like the Nismo GT500 ones

-Nismo twin plate

-Turbo timer

-N1 turbos

-Good ecu

Tune that up to about 260kw atw and you'll love it.

Remember though; GTR's arent made for sitting in traffic, they're made for flowing roads with no other cars infront.

My advice? Get a GTR, use it on weekends, its nice to have something to look forward to on the weekend other than the hangover from friday night. Then get an auto corolla and use that monday to friday :P

Also, ages ago i posted up detailed fuel consumption figures for mine as a daily, finding the post will be damn hard, but the gist of it was;

Driving the GTR in traffic even going easy on the throttle, couldnt get better than 18L per 100, as soon as the turbo's were working (eg a stab here and there), that figure rocketed into the 20's. AFR's were around the 11.5 when hard up it, and the usual ran lean on cruise and idle.

Take it for a run though the hills and over a 10k long bit of road it has no problem using half the tank. It really comes down to tune and right foot :P

My current car is a 32GTR and I use it as a daily for about a year now. Its pretty much stock apart from exhaust, nismo coilovers and a few other minor mod for reliability. My way to work is ok most of the time, 60 and 70 zone, no freeway or anything like that and I usually get about 350 - 400 tank depending on my driving style and traffic condition. When traffic is light - moderate, it puts the fun into your trip to and from work, although I'm bored to death of the stock power already. When the traffic is heavy, you wouldn't want to get stuck in it as the frequent stop go + exhaust note will probabaly get on your nerve quickly. Other than that, its a great car to drive. I use to drive a 180sx as my daily, but the GTR is nicer due to the torque.

If you want to use it as a daily, defitnitly get some good coilovers like blistein or nismo ones that are not too harsh, get a good clutch (nismo or jim berry) and upgrade the brake pads, get the suspension checked out for any worn bushes...etc. Best to have hicas removed as well as that can cause unpredictable steering at higher speed. Oh, and make sure you have some sort of cd/radio that works. I drove my car with a japanese radio and 1 working front speaker (no rear spakers) for ages and I finally just recently done my system. Much better now with the doof doof. :-)

Had mine for about 1.5 months now and exactly as has been said above, I think the main reason it ends up being bad on fuel is that it does not move until the temp guage is at least upto the bottom marker, so it idles for about half the time it takes to get to work, then I leave home. Other than that the "Everyday Supercar" always seemed like a bit of a fap to me but it 100% correct! But I will soon go back to driving my old Subaru Wagon day to day. This will be so that when I do step into the GTR it is still special, and still fast, even Mums 200 Killerwasp V6 Rav feels pathetic after the GTR.

When I had my other GTR I daily drove it, had a quiet 3 inch system on it, standard springs and shocks, brand new 02 senors (critical for good economy with stadard ECU) and that was about it. All standard apart from that.

It got like 450km to a tank daily driving to and from work in stop/start traffic which I thought was fantastic!

Now if I drive my current GTR to work I get sick of it by about Thursday...straight thru dual exhaust, HKS twin plate, tightly shimmed diff, gearbox with hopeless 1st gear synchro lol, BUT, 360kw ;)

It all depends on how much you can put up with. Close to standard id say no worries if you start with a nice and clean example.

Big help people, cheers. I want to keep in fairly stock and only drive around 150kms a week (i work close to home), so I feel better about using it as a daily, especially as i dont have a heavy foot most of the time. this is good news, i freaking love r32's.

Now if I drive my current GTR to work I get sick of it by about Thursday...straight thru dual exhaust, HKS twin plate, tightly shimmed diff, gearbox with hopeless 1st gear synchro lol, BUT, 360kw ;)

It all depends on how much you can put up with. Close to standard id say no worries if you start with a nice and clean example.

Like normal Mat hits the nail on the head.

Its all about the driver.

From my knowledge of Mats gearbox, he must really love the car to put up with it hahaha

Some people will put up with more than others.

For example mines got a triple plate clutch, quite loud exhaust and super short shifter among other things. The clutch makes you pray for red lights to turn green as you approach them, but then the 380 kw atw make you want to stand on the throttle any chance you get.

Big help people, cheers. I want to keep in fairly stock and only drive around 150kms a week (i work close to home), so I feel better about using it as a daily, especially as i dont have a heavy foot most of the time. this is good news, i freaking love r32's.

I have had mine for more than 18months now. While it is technically my 'daily' car there are many weeks where I dont need it for work, others i use it everyday. Mine has an 8-puk button clutch which is HEAVY! While this is not fun in traffic and with my exhaust the cars loudness can be annoying at times, I find that most of these things are easily forgotten compared to the joy of driving it.

It is truely unlike any car I have driven and every time I start it up I am glad to own it. I am not saying it is the best car ever or anything, and to many people it may be just a car, but for me i really love it, and when you have that you can forgive the car for things like heavy clutches etc.

With the amount of driving you are doing I think it would be fine. Mine averages 13.8lt/100km which sounds like what you are used to anyway. If you do get one, be sure to post it up! :thumbsup:

Had mine for 6 months. Standard apart from kakimoto cat back. Gets used as a daily doing around 600kms a week. Costs more than any other daily but nothing else puts a smile on my face like the GTR.

This will probably not be as helpful to you as the posts made by the other guys - given that they own 32 GTRs and i kinda...don't =b

But my R33 GTR is much the same. Getting more mileage out of the petrol now I've switched to Ultimate, but on the V-Power it averaged...oh...bout 18L/100. Nothing more fun to drive though.

worth every cent i spend on fuel and upkeep.

Havn't had my R32 GTR very long but i would say its just as easy to put up with if not easier than my old 2004 WRX.. Subaru's have a lot of slack in the AWD system which makes stop/start driving a pain! The GTR has a very smooth transmission/driveline compared! Making 330rwkw and it used half a tank to drive 350km on a highway.. so i'd say not too shabby!

Havn't had my R32 GTR very long but i would say its just as easy to put up with if not easier than my old 2004 WRX.. Subaru's have a lot of slack in the AWD system which makes stop/start driving a pain! The GTR has a very smooth transmission/driveline compared! Making 330rwkw and it used half a tank to drive 350km on a highway.. so i'd say not too shabby!

What do you mean by "Slack" in the AWD system?

Like... Would there be a some sort of lag on take off through the drive train?

I lasted about 9 months and gave up. Honestly, I got into my new daily (100k kms Comma) and was so relieved. At the time the car was pretty standard. It is simply not designed to be a daily. I could list many things that on a Sunday you'll love but in the Mon - Fri 9-5 grind you'll hate.

I still have my GTR and absolutely love it. It's the first car I've not wanted to move on in the first 6 months of ownership. I've had it for 3 years and would never like to see it go. It's awesome, but if I drive it 3 or more days in a row I'm very very over it.

Get a daily shitter and keep it for when you want it for what it's good for.

Disclaimer, I'm old, commute 80kms a day, have enough room in the driveway / garage for 2 cars, can afford 2 cars.