SAU Community

Unusual Issue - Can't Fold Down Rear Seats

So, I tried to push the back seats down in my 03 Coupe yesterday to find that they would not budge. The release button in the centre of the headrests appears to be jammed, and no amount of pushing on it would get the seats to loosen and move.

Does anyone know of another way of unlocking the seat mechanism?

So, I tried to push the back seats down in my 03 Coupe yesterday to find that they would not budge. The release button in the centre of the headrests appears to be jammed, and no amount of pushing on it would get the seats to loosen and move.

I don't know this for sure but some manufactures put a lock on the fold down seats so you can not access the boot from inside the car for security.

Have a look at the lock in the boot, you may find a switch to release the lock so it is free.

Cheers

Andy

As Andy quote:

The botton between headrest is not the release botton, they are lock botton. the only way to push the seat down it from your boot. there is a handle in there.

Lol. Well that's embarrassing!

I've had the car for nearly a year and it's the first time I've tried to push the seat down... I assumed it was like my old car which had the button on the seat.

I would have RTFM if I could understand it. :P

Thanks.

Bit of side note while we are on the topic of dropping down the rear seat...

I did it for the first time last weekend and discovered I am able to get my MTB in the back!!!!!

Sure both wheels need to come off but with forks and bars through the gap into the car it fit in fairly comfortably. Not ideal to take off the rear wheel but means I don't HAVE to use the missus car to transport my bike any more.

So anyone with a bike it may well work for you too depending on the frame... though if you ride platforms then it might cause you height issues, I'm on SPD's and it fits ok.

for the coupe there is a red tag in the middle of the lower seat back - pull that from the inside and the seats drop. its usually tucked away.

sedans - never tried.