SAU Community

Buying Cars From Vic

Obelisk

Hi everyone,

I'm in Adelaide and now going to buy a Skyline R34 in Mel next month, right now the problem is that the seller dont have time to do the RWC. So is it possible to do it in SA? I also heard that the paper work in Mel is different to SA, they must do RWC and sign agreement before they can sell the car, is that true? So if its possible, can u guys explain to me how to buy a car from Mel and transfer it in to SA plate STEP BY STEP? English is not my first language so I need ur guys' help!!! Plz!!!!!

Thanks

Andy

Pretty sure they do need a RWC to sell, best ring Regency park on tuesday and see what light they can shed on it for you. Their number is 13 10 84, maybe some of the other guys on here might be able to give you a few more pointers aswell.

Edited by Jamesrb25

Pretty sure they do need a RWC to sell, best ring Regency park on tuesday and see what light they can shed on it for you. Their number is 13 10 84, maybe some of the other guys on here might be able to give you a few more pointers aswell.

Thanks for your help mate, I'll try my luck there on tuesday!

You dont need a RWC to register it in SA, and he can sell you the car without the RWC done. You just need to sign a form saying that you knew about it and that it is your responsibility to do it before ownership transfer, which wont matter as you're registering it in SA.

hey mate.

my 260, i flew over, braught it, chucked it on a truck... when it got here i drove it for a few days then went for my identiy inspection...

they match the chassie number to the engin vin n all that jazz... and just look to make sure u have good tyers, dont have black windows n 3 1/2 strait thew exhaust :D... basicly... i gave the dude the import papers, qld rego n all that but i dont think it matters. just aslong as u prove its urs with that slip, the numbers match its easy.

A little off topic, but im going through the same thing atm, and the car has 3 months NSW rego. Can I drive the car in SA on NSW plates?? Then when the rego expires off to Regency??

Hi everyone,

I'm in Adelaide and now going to buy a Skyline R34 in Mel next month, right now the problem is that the seller dont have time to do the RWC. So is it possible to do it in SA? I also heard that the paper work in Mel is different to SA, they must do RWC and sign agreement before they can sell the car, is that true? So if its possible, can u guys explain to me how to buy a car from Mel and transfer it in to SA plate STEP BY STEP? English is not my first language so I need ur guys' help!!! Plz!!!!!

Thanks

Andy

I did exactly that with a R33 GTR a couple of months ago, see my post.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/In...-T-t267077.html

There is much information on the topic on this forum but much of it is contradictory.

How to buy car from Vic:

1. Check the car isn't stolen, damaged, or under finance by running a vehicle check on vicroads.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Regist...orePurchase.htm

2. Goto vic, check whatever you want to check on the vehicle.

3. Sign a contract, something obvious "I seller have sold my car to buyer on date. sign date lots, witness" and both take a copy.

4. Hand over your cash and take the keys - I used a bank cheque. Get a receipt if possible.

5. Rego cant be transferred so you have 2 options here - Drive the car back with the current rego or get a 1 day temp rego from Vicroads. Option 1 is best as you now have a registered car that can be driven for up to a month in SA as is, but the seller must understand that he will get the speeding fines etc so dont do anything stupid. Option 2, you need a temporary rego from vicroads that says exactly where you will be going, you will need a temp rego when you get to SA too and then you cant drive your car after you get it home until you go through regency. Take option 1 if possible.

6. Goto regency, fill out paperwork, go through an Identity Inspection. Its not a roadworthy as chef_stagea said, so don't have anything obviously illegal and you'll be fine. Get new plates for your awesome SA registered beast.

7. Post back the vic plates (especially if they are custom as they are state specific and are useless to you).

8. claim a refund on the vic registration, they sent me a cheque for $300 :)

I have in-dish rims and an aftermarket front but wasn't a problem.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Josh, i caught your thread a couple of days ago.

Appreciate the advice.

Not looking forward to going through regency :S

i would be hesitant to buy without a roadworthy...

i looked at car from melb "didn't have time to get a roadworthy" when i got the vehicle inspected it had a stack of problems.

the second car which i actually bought was modified more than the first but the owner was still willing to put it back to standard and get a road worthy. they aren't as strict over there so it didn't take too much.

id be carefull and before you go thru for an id check put it back to stock, cos if you get a grumpy bloke check your car your in for a defect. and its over the pits b4 you know it lol, trust me ive been through it a few times.

Not looking forward to going through regency :S

Yeh I felt like that but its just an ID check so you wont have any problems :(

The more stock the better ofcourse though.

Edited by Joshdc