SAU Community

monstar tacho wire

clean_vl

There is a loop of pink? cable near the ignition amplifier module at the back of the valley cover on the right hand side that has an ignition pulse. You could tap into that.

Its generally taped up but you can see a little bit poking out the side of the loom.

well i went looking for that wire, but i didnt have any success.

i found 2 wires that were looped out of the loom there, but one is a ground wire, and the other one dosent seam to be it.

i have gone around other sites looking for the answer, but i cant seam to find what i am looking for.

can some one plz, help us with this

That extra long wire found near the igniter module (or what the Japanese call a power transistor) is cylinder number 1 ignition. This is used for inductive pickup type timing guns/lights only for setting the timing (CAS position for twin cam motors) only. This will not work with a tacho.

This is the case for the twin cammed engines using coil-on-plug ignition. You connect the extra tacho to either the ECU tacho output or the diagnostic tacho plug.

The Single cam motors: RB30E, RB30ET, RB20E, etc use the old fashioned distributor and leads with a single electronic coil. Connect the tacho to the negative (-) side of the coil. I assume your VL has the original single cam head setup.

Hope that clears things up.