SAU Community

Roil Engine/Gearbox oil additive

yug_r34

A mate of mine has offered me a bottle of "Roil" Oil Additive and

I'm dubious about adding anything but octane booster to my engine.

Apparently it's a better version of "Slick 50", without the teflon & other solids in it.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff, comments or otherwise?

I spoke to a distributer of this Product while i was at work. After eavesdropping on a conversation i was having with a customer on a Nulon PTFE (Chemical abreviation for a substance better known as the Teflon trademark) engine additive product, he approached me after this customer had left. He handed me his business card and said: "That Nulon stuff doesn't work, try this..." It all sounded like a typical salesperson sledging a competing product and trying to promote his own "... that stuff polishes and glazes the bores, that's no good. This stuff is petroleum based and works with your existing oil, not a solid like PTFE."

He went on to describe why it was better and that he'd tested all of the products on the market and said his product withstood the most pressure when it was compressed in between metal to metal. He said he had done extensive testing on his mates nitro drag-bike.

**In my own opinion, i've only ever used PTFE/Teflon products where there is metal to metal contact in manual gearboxes and diffs. Nulon and Slick 50 are the main two here. Not so sure about them being brought into the combustion process of an engine though...**

I am still a bit apprehensive, since it wasn't a mainstream product, but would be interested in the results. I would say it would be similar to Morey's Or Lucas' "Oil Stabiliser".

Anyone else had any experiences or comments? I am still curious.

I generally believe that noone should use oil suppliments unless its a last resort sorta thing. Oil is carefully formulated to do its job. Adding other stuff to it can ruin this balance.

PTFE might have some value in a gearbox, but I definitely would not try using the stuff in an engine. No direct metal to metal contact should occur in an engine, or a gearbox for that matter. If that was the case, a gearbox would sieze up pretty quick. Try running a box w/o oil and see what happens! hahah

Btw Lucas Oil Stabiliser is just a thickener and shouldnt be used unless your gearbox is stuffed or something. Its been proven to cause excess foaming which is no good for lubricating gears..

Busky2k, I totally agree with EVERYTHING you have said. I was more interested in getting some feedback from people who might know more about it or have had good or bad experiences with it. Just curious and keen to add it to my "knowledge vault". :( hehe

I haven't put much more thought into it until recently seeing it again at a car show on display.

My thoughts are that they'd be more suited to an old clapped out Holden or Ford 6/V8 which has a had a hard life in regards to worn rings, worn valve-stem seals, etc. or a manual gearbox/diff which is whiney. "A band-aid fix".

Like i said, i'd only like to see the PTFE additives used in metal to metal contact like meshing gears and bearings in a manual gearbox and the crown-wheel and pinion in a diff...

It's interesting to note that my own opinions don't always match the claims of these companies' products, although ironically, I'm paid to help sell these...

:)

The life of a retail automotive employee...