SAU Community

How Do I Bleed Power Steering Fluid In An R34gtt?

Nightcrawler

Hi,

My power steering started making groaning noises yesterday, and I checked the fluid to find lots and lots of bubbles in it and on the dipstick. How do I drain the fluid out to put new fluid in? Anyone else had this and knows what causes it? Fluid level is still 100% and there don't appear to be any leaks.

Cheers

I had lots of issues with mine (GTT) and fluid replacement didnt do it ... turned out to be the high pressure hose had a leak then a few months later, the hose under the reservoir had a leak as well. Whatever you do, don't buy into the 'pump needs replacing/fixing" get the hoses all fixed first, it's most likely one of them and it's a lot cheaper than a new pump.

yeah i just read that thread of yours... my problem doesn't sound as bad... only takes about 1-2 min to disappear. ill try the fluid first and go from there.

cheers

On my 32 GTR, i

- disconnected one of the hard lines from the steering rack (you should use a flare nut spanner), and let it drain out

- reconnect pipe, fill reservoir to top mark

- turn wheels from full lock one side to full lock the other side back and fourth three to four times (this is how you bleed it)

- re-check level and top up if required

But yeah if any of the high pressure pipes are leaking or blistered, pull them out and take them to enzed/pritek to make you up a replacement.

I took a short cut (not best practice and costly in fluid - but probably good for the noobs - as there is little chance of breaking anything) - seems to work OK. Steering is now smoother.

- Drained the power steering reservoir, then topped up with Transmax Z.

- Ran it as is for around a month.

- Repeat the process once per month over the next 4 months.

- Then once every 6 months for good maintenance.

I took a short cut (not best practice and costly in fluid - but probably good for the noobs - as there is little chance of breaking anything) - seems to work OK. Steering is now smoother.

- Ran it as is for around a month.

- Repeat the process once per month over the next 4 months.

- Then once every 6 months for good maintenance.

Call me stupid, but im not seeing a good reason for that, or a good explanation on how to bleed the system...?