SAU Community

Noob With Turbo Problem

DAYZ

As topic says I am a noob, so please no flamming :)

This morning car felt fine, this evening went out and when I put my foot down to accelerate there is no power when the turbo usually kicked in at 2500 rpm. I haven't done anything differnt than earlier in the day. The turbo gauge is going from -1 to 0 and no further. Had a quick look under the hood and couldn't see any leaks etc. Any idea's what could be going on?? Im thinking a trip the mechanic is in order.

Thank you for any advice

Everything sounds just fine. There wasn't a big bang and then problems started happening. The only thing I noticed was no power. No smoke from the exhaust or anything.

Yeah no differnt than normal. Everything feels normal, just a real difference in the lack of power. Would the car still be safe to drive??

I concur with hyper gear, take of the dump pipe and look at the exhaust wheel

Im assuming this would have been the first thing you would have checked and as noone else has mentioned it have you checked all your cooler piping. When they blow off they can make a loud bang and then no power. Other than that it sounds like it icould be a turbo matter.

could also be a wastegate issue. if the wastegate is stuck open then that will dramatically affect performance. i had a boost controller once that would hold pressure between it and the wastegate so when you changed gears you would have no boost in the next gear.

so undo your wastegate actuator and see if it is moving freely.if it is, then also check you vaccum lines to make sure there are no blockages between the wastegate and the intercooler pipe.

then if that is still ok then pull off your dump pipe and check the exhaust wheel

could also be a wastegate issue. if the wastegate is stuck open then that will dramatically affect performance. i had a boost controller once that would hold pressure between it and the wastegate so when you changed gears you would have no boost in the next gear.

so undo your wastegate actuator and see if it is moving freely.if it is, then also check you vaccum lines to make sure there are no blockages between the wastegate and the intercooler pipe.

then if that is still ok then pull off your dump pipe and check the exhaust wheel

+1

Im assuming this would have been the first thing you would have checked and as noone else has mentioned it have you checked all your cooler piping. When they blow off they can make a loud bang and then no power. Other than that it sounds like it icould be a turbo matter.

Nope, it wouldn't be the cooler piping as the slightest leak in the cooler piping, and the car will not idle normally.

The fella mentioned it's idling normally....

Either the gate is stuck open, or the turbo is f'd

I had the actuator rod slip off the bolt it goes onto once, and had no boost obviously, ended up just tapping it back on and putting a circlip over the top which fixed it, have a look there, will only take you a second to eliminate that at least.

Thank you all for your suggestions, booked into mechanic tomorrow at 9:30am hopefully have some more answers.

Appreciate the help.

:laugh: