SAU Community

Turbo Dose/flutter?

syfon

Hey guys,

last night on the cruise a black r32 was next to me and kept 'dosing' his turbo, making the tu tu tu noise.

It sounds like turbo flutter but the sound is much much louder and slower sounding.

I read somewhere on the net that to get this noise u need to have a straight pipe coming off the front of the turbo and either block off your BOV or completely remove it.

Does anyone know how to achieve this sound from your turbo? I am aware that some people think or bad for the turbo etc, but i am not worrying about that at the moment.

If anyone could advise me how this sound is achieved it would be awsome :laugh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

last night on the cruise a black r32 was next to me and kept 'dosing' his turbo, making the tu tu tu noise.

It sounds like turbo flutter but the sound is much much louder and slower sounding.

I read somewhere on the net that to get this noise u need to have a straight pipe coming off the front of the turbo and either block off your BOV or completely remove it.

Does anyone know how to achieve this sound from your turbo? I am aware that some people think or bad for the turbo etc, but i am not worrying about that at the moment.

If anyone could advise me how this sound is achieved it would be awsome :laugh:

Yep thats right just disconnect your

Blow off valve.. It may leak a little tho depending on type.. And just have a different intake pipe.. Theres a full how to on the calais turbo site for the vls.. Gotta love that sound..

I've got the stock BOV on my car, and i have replaced the standard gasket with a "solid" tin gasket so when the BOV goes off it cant vent to intake, therfore forcing the air back thru the turbo. But how do i get it real loud like that r32 last night?

If you want a cheap and easy way of getting flutter you could use a Coke Can, lol. I did this with my car and it works perfect.

You just cut the Can open, take the BOV off, cut the Can to the same shape as the BOV, drill 2 holes in the Can for the BOV bolts, put the piece of Can in between where your BOV bolts onto the pipe and done. :laugh:

The BOV is still on there and all the hoses are still hooked up but the BOV is blocked off. The Aluminium is heaps strong enough to block it off.

Oh and you will also need a Pod Filter

Have fun! :laugh:

Oh true, they might have a metal intake. Makes the flutter noise alot louder!!! lol

Plus i noticed mine got louder when i got a Front Mounter Intercooler :laugh:

If you want a cheap and easy way of getting flutter you could use a Coke Can, lol. I did this with my car and it works perfect.

You just cut the Can open, take the BOV off, cut the Can to the same shape as the BOV, drill 2 holes in the Can for the BOV bolts, put the piece of Can in between where your BOV bolts onto the pipe and done. :laugh:

The BOV is still on there and all the hoses are still hooked up but the BOV is blocked off. The Aluminium is heaps strong enough to block it off.

Oh and you will also need a Pod Filter

Have fun! :laugh:

Even easier way? You take off the little piece of rubber hose that goes from the outlet of the BOV to the solid pipe which goes to the intake, shove a coke-bottle lid down about halfway, and put the hose back on as it was. The air can't get out because of the bottle lid and it still looks stock!

R33Matt - I have done exactly that with my BOV, and i do get turbo flutter however it isnt that loud or the same as the "dose" noise....

I have a pod filter, FMIC, stock BOV....

or you could do it the proper way which is easiest if you have a fmic. Relocate the afm to the I/C piping, probably just before the cross over pipe would work best and then that gives you more room and can make any sort of intake you would like as it only needs the pod on the end.

I would be using a piece of 3" pipe with the pod on the end that way the pod will go straight onto the end of the pipe and all you will need is a 3" to 2 1/2" reducer (silicon hose) to attach the pipe to the front of the turbo. 2 1/2" pipe gives you that real high pitched annoying flutter/dose. 3" would be more mellow and less high pitched.

Of course the bov has to be blocked/removed. It's a lot of stuffing around for a sound that isn't that great and get's very annoying. But, each to their own. good luck with it.

also one other thing. Im not sure what you would need to do with the breather hose that is attached to the stock intake. I'm not sure where you would re locate that, the plumb back pipe is obviously out of the equation now as you wont be using your BOV.

Pfft, I just run a metal pod filter and an ARC bov wound up really tight (had to wind it up so tight to stop it from letting air out at idle).