SAU Community

Hosting A Time Attack Racing Event, Insurance, Licensing Etc..

GTRNUR

Hi everyone,

I am working with a few other people to host a circuit racing event at a near by go-cart track and am investigating whats required to make a licensed and insurered event.

Does SAU have some kind of existing relationship with AASA to allow events to be covered with public indeminity and personal accident insurance?

Is there a template or list of requirements/procedure for making sure everything properly organised?

If it is at all possible I'd like to host this through SAU. The group that will be racing is predominatly skylines, but there is also a few EVO's in the croud. So I am also considering forming a "time attack car club" and getting AASA membership.

The track we want to use is not CAMS approved but it is a world class track and has a lot of diferent track formats. The owner of the track doesnt really like the CAMS people, so AASA is a more attractive option.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer up.

Cheers,

Ian .

well......a full race event is tricky, because the insurance is difficult to obtain for a new track. CAMS has comprehensive and specific requirements for racing events (you could always get a copy from them) but it just won't be worth the time or money I think to do so. I am pretty sure SQU QLD is now a CAMS club.

AASA have approved a couple of tracks and I don't know what their requirements are. Once again you would have to talk to them directly.

You might want to start by getting a supersprint type permit....full racing will have a very high level of requirements :blush:

Is said track Morgan Park?

You wont be doing door to door racing, how is it different to a timed track day, more spectators?

Edited by aleks

No its at the Mako track in Mareeba, north queensland.

http://www.makotrac.com/karts_tracks/tracklayouts.html

1IMG_0313_x.jpg

Whats the diference between a supersprint event vs full racing?

The kind of event we want to run will be have only one car on the track at a time. We have had a few of these events run at a local show ground under the guise of "driver training" . Basic witch hat slalem events, slalem with garage parking (motorkarna style), a go-woah, and we finish with 2 and 4 lap sprints around the track. Is this more of a supersprint event?

Cheers,

Ian

Hadn't factored in spectators just yet. We want to have two events before the end of the year, and if all goes well aim for 5-6 events next year as a series. Well thats the long term goal... at that point we'd be opening the door for spectators but we need to get organised first.

yeah - supersprint is a timed event which is specifically "not racing" generally 4-6 cars on the track at a time with 2 starting together. not a race just timed laps. this will have a lower level of requirements than full circuit racing where 20-40 cars have a standing start together.

you will rally need to talk to CAMS QLD and AASA to understand what is required, I'm willing to bet no-one in here has ever been involved with getting a permit for a new track. Last full track I can think of opened under cams was eastern creek in 1990.

Thanks for the info. I figured i'd have to be asking AASA directly for what was required, considering the track isnt approved too.

My partner in crime is chasing up the CAMS route. There is a local CAMS club that holds tarmac motorkarna events on closed public roads occasionally. We just want to be cautious about getting them involved in our event and plans, should they decided they want to take over the whole thing or dictate terms for their involvement with marshaling etc.

Cheers,

Ian

Have you spoken to the track owners about insurance? There is no magic with CAMS or AASA, basically they provide insurance in accordance with the insurance policy they have. The track owners would have personal injury insurance, maybe their policy would extend to what you want to do. Or else arrange your own insurance.

I would keep away from CAMS and AASA at this stage, at least until you have exhausted other options.

First up, speak to SAUQLD club execs and tell them the plan.

Then ring AASA (SAUVIC and SAUNSW get along with them very well), explain what you want to do.

AASA will ask you for a heap of details, the hardest will be getting them to approve the track. Im going through this right now with AASA and its not as easy as you'd think.

My advice is to supply as many photos as possible, show them photos of everything even if you dont think it matters. You will also need to fill out the medical form carefully.

Each person there has a dinnerent role (well, duh), but if you end up speaking with Brenda - feel free to mention that you're the Qld version of the NSW Skylines club that Steve's from.

Other than that as i said, SAUQLD (as they're CAMS affiliated) would be your first stop :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up and advice. The track owner is not going to approve an event without high level insurance, ie CAMS or AASA. I wrote to AASA yesterday and hope to hear back from them next week. I'll mention SAUQLD in my next corrospondance. 1/2 the guys competing are members of SAUQLD too so that may help a little.

• 5 months later...

Just thought i'd post an update.

SUCCESS!

Its taken a long time but the hard work has paid off. The track was inspected by a CAMS track inspector from Townsville a few months ago and we received confirmation the track is now CAMS approved for L2 Sprint events.

There will be one "test" event before the end of the year which is actually next weekend. Not sure on exact numbers yet but there have been expressions of interest for over 40 drivers so far. And the sprint series consisting of 6 events for next year has been given the go ahead as well.

The format is what I think is fairly standard for this sort of thing. Rolling start, 2 cars at a time started a 1/2 lap time apart, 4 lap sprint.

If there is any interest from SAU members I can post the schedule for next years season once dates are finalised.

Cheers,

Ian

thats awesome to hear mate... well done. nice to hear someone wins every now and then.. thats gives hope to others.

the raliegh go kart track near coffs is a decent sized track for some time sprints... hint hint.. sau nsw??

Thanks guys. It wasn't as hard to achieve as was originally expected. The difficult part was having the patience to wait for it to actually happen.

The key seems to be finding the right CAMS qualified people that are motivated and able to inspect tracks. Then it was just a lot of waiting for CAMS to complete the approval.

More information about the event and proposed sprint series that will be run next year is available here:

http://www.nqmp.com.au/

I'll try and post some images of the first event back here after its run this coming Sunday.

Cheers,

ian

Just thought i'd post an update.

SUCCESS!

Its taken a long time but the hard work has paid off. The track was inspected by a CAMS track inspector from Townsville a few months ago and we received confirmation the track is now CAMS approved for L2 Sprint events.

Awesome work Ian. Great to see initiative like this !

- The Tuners Group

Well the first event was a huge success.

The car turnout was very diverse. WRX's, EVO's, Skylines, Silvia's, a Porsche 930, a Ferrari 360, and a few other makes. There is a picture gallery uploaded on the promotors website for the event that can be viewed here.

http://www.nqmp.com.au/gallery_b.htm

I ended up not competing having recently had my lower wisdom teeth Im still taking it easy. The thought of competing and spending the day in the sun in 40 degree heat while wearing long sleves and pants (cams rules) sounded way too uncomfortable . The day was hot as hell. One other driver in an R34 GTR was seeing 112 degree water temps and 119 oil after only 4 laps so Im glad I wasnt out there punishing my car in that heat. Next year the 6 event season starts in late March, so it will have cooled down considerably by then.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by GTRNUR