SAU Community

Buying A 2002 Stagea M35 Rsfour Or Not .....

jxanon

looking at buying a m35 stagea in the next few weeks with the vq25det

issue being is that i would like 2 do some minor engine mods and from what i can undestand vq25det is unique to the stagea, which means performance parts would be dear and hard to come by?

would i be better off buying th c34 or whateva its called (the older style) with the rb25detneo?

having owned both There is a massive difference between the two.

If you are purely after getting as much power as possible, then got a C34 260RS - basically its a GTR wagon using an RB26 and all GTR drivetrain.

But in saying that the M35 drives so much nicer, has loads more power low down and with a few basic mods, is a very quick car for a big wagon.

The M35 is much more luxurious and comfortable. handling and stability are alot better.

thats my 10cents anyway :D

Ben.

yeh i really do like the m35, what mods would you suggest? how much power would i be looking to get out of it ?

full exhaust to start with.

Power? Dunno. A few of us are aiming at between 200-250awkw (in time), and I have heard of a VQ25DET producing 300rwkw (in an S14).

I guess the level of power is directly proportionate to your level of cash flow.

One forum member has had 173awkw with only basic mods.

having owned both There is a massive difference between the two.

If you are purely after getting as much power as possible, then got a C34 260RS - basically its a GTR wagon using an RB26 and all GTR drivetrain.

But in saying that the M35 drives so much nicer, has loads more power low down and with a few basic mods, is a very quick car for a big wagon.

The M35 is much more luxurious and comfortable. handling and stability are alot better.

thats my 10cents anyway :D

Ben.

+1 for M35. I've owned a s2 before, spent $5k on it to get 160awkw with potential for ~200awkw if I spent another $2k, which i didnt' have. But the M35 is just a much nicer car. Stock its somewhere around 130-140awkw, compared to 120awkw max for the s2. So you're building off a better platform with the M35, with an extra ~15kw to start with.

The M35 performs better (70+ Nm more torque!!), handles better, is more comfortable, and slightly better on fuel (YMMV).

I find the C34 interior a bit dated by today's standards whereas the M35 looks more modern, both inside and out - although this is somewhat a matter of taste.

I have enjoyed both cars, neither are particularly bad, but my preference overall goes to the M35.

There are a lot fewer parts for the M35 but you dont really need that much. The basics, exhaust, boost, ecu are all available. It already has a FMIC which makes it easier to upgrade (if necessary). You'll need an upgraded turbo for any serious power increase but there are options there too. I think you'll find there is plenty available for the M35 to do what you want it to. Bearing in mind it is a wagon and that if you really want a sub 12 or 13-sec car or something the stagea is probably not the best suited car... It can definitely achieve it but at a cost and you'd need to spend twice as much to keep it handling well.

full exhaust to start with.

Power? Dunno. A few of us are aiming at between 200-250awkw (in time), and I have heard of a VQ25DET producing 300rwkw (in an S14).

I guess the level of power is directly proportionate to your level of cash flow.

One forum member has had 173awkw with only basic mods.

i have a 2003 rs250t, just had a 3" exhaust done from the turbo back, they put it on the dyno and it is getting 191kw at the wheels, exhaust is the only mod so far, this has pushed the boost upto 15pounds, there is a noticeble differance when driving,but its still not a slam you in your seat type car yet,

anybody know what else can be done to this car to give it more acceleration?

i have a 2003 rs250t, just had a 3" exhaust done from the turbo back, they put it on the dyno and it is getting 191kw at the wheels, exhaust is the only mod so far, this has pushed the boost upto 15pounds, there is a noticeble differance when driving,but its still not a slam you in your seat type car yet,

anybody know what else can be done to this car to give it more acceleration?

High flow the turbo so you can hold 15psi to red line. This will give the most noticeable gain as the stock turbo is unable to hold peak boost at higher revs.

191kw ATW sounds very high for just an exhaust. Most cars have been around 145kw ATW in stock form and I would not think you would gain any more than 10kw with an exhaust only. I guess it is all relative to the dyno that it is measured on.

Cheers

Andy