SAU Community

Being Told To Open The Bonnet After Being Pulled Over

Astro Bear

my bonnet latch under the dash doesnt pop the bonnet, you have to pull it then go to the bonnet and lift it up then use the lever . ..

could i just cop a defect for that ? or will they issue somthing like full inspection at vicroads ?

havent been pulled over, just and excuse to use till i get some things fixed under there

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard many many people say that the police cant look under your bonnet. Whether its true or not I have no idea.

Talking yourself up on a forum is one thing but lets say it was true how many people honestly would look at the cop in the eye and say "No".

I'd rather run the gauntlet and say " no problems mate" and hope they either dont pick up on things or let them slide than stand your ground.

If you did then you'll 100% be getting an EPA notice issued along with every other thing he slaps on you at the time.

I've been defected 3 times, EPA(ed) 2 times and had my car impounded once. However, my car is far from "stock looking."

Anyways, if a cop feels "in his authority" and within reasonable that what you have on or in your car is illegal and could/can cause the car to act in a way that is deemed unsafe for you to drive or dangerous towards others etc, he/she has the right to inspect your car and there's nothing you can say or do. Whatever they dish out you must cop it sweet...you have the right to go to court to fight the fine, but most likely you will lose so why bother.

You will get the EPA later...it usually comes after 1-2 months. You will get it and it will be a pain to get your car cleared, but this is what you expect if you drive a JDM sports car. Nothing more I can say bro, just cop it sweet and just hope you get better luck next time.

Sorry to hear though.

Hi guys,

I had an interesting experience earlier in the week, when I was pulled over as part of a "random check".

My girlfriend was driving the car at the time, he breath tested her and checked her licence etc. All good. When he found out it was my car he stated asking me what modifications had been done etc, I replied and told him that for the most part it was pretty stock.

My car looks very stock from the outside, no rims or bodykits etc, it hardly ever gets any attention. However, it does have an exhaust and a front mount which are visible externally. He asks me to pop the bonnet, which I did. The officer then noted the pod filter and boost controller in the engine bay.

In all fairness, the officer was a pretty good bloke, he knew what he was looking for and went about his business in a pretty professional manner. At the end of the day I was in the wrong for having those modifications. The officer didn't defect me or anything, however, he did tell me that I should expect a letter in the mail from the EPA in the future. Naturally, the officer was doing his job, and I obviously deserve this.

However, reflecting back on the experience, i'm curious to know under what circumstances an officer can look under the hood of your car. I've been told that the officer must have "reasonable suspicion" that there is something illegal going on, but looking back, I'm hard pressed to know what suspicions could have been formed in the officer's head, particularly given that my car looks so stock.

Obviously the common sense approach is to comply with the officer's request and be polite etc, however, at the same time, i think it is important to know your rights. So, my question is:

Under what circumstances an officer can look under the hood of your car?

Thanks guys, happy motoring.

If they took a picture of your engine bay, you will 100% receive a letter from the EPA, the EPA will either give you a warning to put it back to it's original state (airbox) or in an extreme case, they will want to see the car in person (Macleod).

Edited by XXX-33

i've had a similar experience where me and two other friends were chilling at a BP petrol station when suddenly out of nowhere these 2 cops rocked up. They asked the usual cop questions (where u goin, what u guys doing) then asked us to pop the hoods of our car.

Now both my friends got done cos they had pods, bov. I was the only one let off cos my engine bay looked stock as a rock (stock airbox with no visible bov). they tried to get me on the stock intercooler but i said GTRs came with stock intercoolers.

funny thing was the cops who checked our engine bays had no idea what the hell they were looking at. The female cop pointed at my friend's bov and asked 'is that the turbo?' lol

So yer i guess its also depends on the cop and his knowledge of cars, unless u have some really obvious mods such as a bov and a pod.

Your lucky you didnt get a defect, i was pulled over for having simular mods and had the book thrown at me, Full Epa test, Engineers Cert for FMIC, and defected i would call you very lucky,

Now my Skyline is as Leagly Stock as possible, no fun, i want my FMIC back on, but its just not worth the Hassle from the boys in Blue.

Your lucky you didnt get a defect, i was pulled over for having simular mods and had the book thrown at me, Full Epa test, Engineers Cert for FMIC, and defected i would call you very lucky,

Now my Skyline is as Leagly Stock as possible, no fun, i want my FMIC back on, but its just not worth the Hassle from the boys in Blue.

return flow buddy. or r34 for bigger core, but for show i guess return flow works there

return flow buddy. or r34 for bigger core, but for show i guess return flow works there

I was lucky. I do have a return flow intercooler though, which the police officer noted. He told me that If it wasn't a return flow (i.e it involved a hole being cut in the body, he would have sent me for an engineers certificate.

I am nearly 110% sure police are not a loud to take photo's of your vehicle.(Most of them will do so if they give you a EPA). I even heard of police who know a few things about high Powered Turbos to disconnect AFM to see if the vehicle will still run. If so they know your running after market computer.

This is a bit dissappointing, I've never been pulled over. It sounds like fun... perhaps someone could give me a few pointers on how to do it?

tool.

go out and drive like a wanker, find a booze bus and rev your engine, basically act fully sick! and its bound to happen

This is a bit dissappointing, I've never been pulled over. It sounds like fun... perhaps someone could give me a few pointers on how to do it?

just don't stop and drive as fast as you can to the mexican border....that's always a blasts. watch vanishing point for some good tips. :laugh:

Hi guys,

I had an interesting experience earlier in the week, when I was pulled over as part of a "random check".

My girlfriend was driving the car at the time, he breath tested her and checked her licence etc. All good. When he found out it was my car he stated asking me what modifications had been done etc, I replied and told him that for the most part it was pretty stock.

My car looks very stock from the outside, no rims or bodykits etc, it hardly ever gets any attention. However, it does have an exhaust and a front mount which are visible externally. He asks me to pop the bonnet, which I did. The officer then noted the pod filter and boost controller in the engine bay.

In all fairness, the officer was a pretty good bloke, he knew what he was looking for and went about his business in a pretty professional manner. At the end of the day I was in the wrong for having those modifications. The officer didn't defect me or anything, however, he did tell me that I should expect a letter in the mail from the EPA in the future. Naturally, the officer was doing his job, and I obviously deserve this.

However, reflecting back on the experience, i'm curious to know under what circumstances an officer can look under the hood of your car. I've been told that the officer must have "reasonable suspicion" that there is something illegal going on, but looking back, I'm hard pressed to know what suspicions could have been formed in the officer's head, particularly given that my car looks so stock.

Obviously the common sense approach is to comply with the officer's request and be polite etc, however, at the same time, i think it is important to know your rights. So, my question is:

Under what circumstances an officer can look under the hood of your car?

Thanks guys, happy motoring.

The police do not need a reason to tell you to open the bonnet

Technically, you must open your bonnet though as they arent allowed to touch your car; tested this on one occasion

Policeman: could you please open your bonnet

Me: its ok, you can do it

Policeman: sorry, you must open it because i cannot touch your car.

????? is this a rule or was that officer dipping into the confiscated stash????

The whole thing about carrying tools to remove your kickplates to check for aftermarket ECU is pretty pathetic then and i would be going to jail before i let them touch my car.

Right now i jst drive sensible (rather too sensible) and be polite when pulled over and take it as it comes.

Technically, you must open your bonnet though as they arent allowed to touch your car; tested this on one occasion

The whole thing about carrying tools to remove your kickplates to check for aftermarket ECU is pretty pathetic then and i would be going to jail before i let them touch my car.

Right now i jst drive sensible (rather too sensible) and be polite when pulled over and take it as it comes.

I'm going to be getting some independent advice regarding the whole situation, so i'll let you all know the outcome of that. Out of curiosity Johnny, do you live in the northern suburbs? On a main road?

yeah i think they cant touch your car.

I remember when I was pulled over and told them that the tyre place-card is in the glovebox. They asked me to open it instead of them.

If they cant open bonnet/look in glovebox how can they start pulling off the kickpanel? To get mine off you have to unscrew the skyline plate and then the couple of screws holding the kick panel...

tool.

go out and drive like a wanker, find a booze bus and rev your engine, basically act fully sick! and its bound to happen

Haha, I was just kidding around. I have only been pulled over once though, losing traction coming out of a round-about, cop just told me to behave. Was a female cop, so maybe she was just super impressed by my 'fully sick wheels.'

Anyway, I guess a large part of it is about the mood they happen to be in, and the manner in which you treat them.

I'm going to be getting some independent advice regarding the whole situation, so i'll let you all know the outcome of that. Out of curiosity Johnny, do you live in the northern suburbs? On a main road?

Yeah mate, im in bundoora; on plenty road.

What about you?

I am nearly 110% sure police are not a loud to take photo's of your vehicle.(Most of them will do so if they give you a EPA). I even heard of police who know a few things about high Powered Turbos to disconnect AFM to see if the vehicle will still run. If so they know your running after market computer.

Yeah thats right, the courts don't like it when when cases come before them with actual evidence collected by officers of the law. :P

No matter how hard you try

You can't stop me now

No matter how hard you try

You can't stop me now

Yes, my skin is black

But that's no reason to hold me back

Oh think about it, think about it,

Think about it, think about it

Think about it, think about it, think about it.

I have wants and desires just like you

So move on aside cause i'm a-comin' through

Oh no matter how hard you try you can't

Stop me now

No matter how hard you try you can't stop me now.

Yes, your skin is white

Does that make you right

Walk on and think about it, think about it

Think about it, think about it

Think about it, think about it, think about it.

This is a message, a message to y'all

Together we stand divided we fall

Black is a color just like white

Tell me how can a color determine whether

You're wrong or right

We all have our faults yes we do

So look in your mirror (Look in the mirror)

What do you see? (What do you see?)

Two eyes, a nose and a mouth just like me.

Oh your eyes are open but you refuse to see

The laws of society were made for both

You and me

Because of my color I struggle to be free

Sticks and stones may break my bones

But in the end you're gonna see my friend

Say it … (No matter how hard you try you can't stop me now)

Say it … (No matter how hard you try you can't stop me now)a

Say it loud! I’m Black and I’m Proud!

(No matter how you can’t stop me now.)

Say it loud! I’m Black and I’m Proud!

(No matter how you can’t stop me now.)

Yeah mate, im in bundoora; on plenty road.

What about you?

I used to live in Bundoora, and use to see you every now and again on Plenty Road, I use to live only a few mins away from your place. I live in Greensborough now though, so yeah. Your car is very nice indeed.