SAU Community

Thinking About Getting Into Motorsport Or Track Days?

GTS-t VSPEC

READ ME:

This is the thread to let everyone know how to get into Motorsport in WA. I'm sure it is not a complete list, and will require updating. If you find an error in this thread, or you're aware of an event of facility not currently mentioned, then please PM me with the details, if you're able to present it in a similar format to those below it would be appreciated.

Facilities:

Wanneroo Raceway

- Circuit Racing

www.wascc.com.au

Collie motorplex

- Circuit Racing

- 1/8th Mile Drags

www.motoringsouthwest.org.au

RAC Driver Training Centre

- Driver Training

- Skid Pan Motokhanas

- Track

www.dtec.com.au

Kwinana raceway

- 1/4 Mile Drag Racing

- Burnout Pad

- Speedway Racing

www.motorplex.com.au

Licenses:

CAMS License:

CAMS run almost all competitive motorsport events in Australia, from V8 Supercars to Hillclimbs.

For all license details go to www.cams.com.au

For most entry level circuit racing you'll require a CAMS L2S licence.

http://www.cams.com.au/en/Development/Get%...ce%20Types.aspx

You will be required to be a member of a CAMS Affiliated Car Club:

CAMS Clubs

A regularly updated lists of all the CAMS sanctioned events on in Australia.

CAMS Event Calender

CAMS WA Event Calender

AASA License:

The Australian Auto-Sport Alliance is an alternate to insuring events, and are used as a cheaper alternative to CAMS.

Events such as the Speed Done Superkhanas require this license.

For all license details go to http://www.australianautosportalliance.com/

ANDRA License:

ANDRA are the Australian National Drag Racing Association, and run all competitive events in the country.

Kwinana Motorplex runs all ANDRA events, from Whoopass Wednesday through to Western Nationals.

Base Membership:

ASSOCIATE ANDRA MEMBERSHIP $40.00 inc. GST

FULL ANDRA MEMBERSHIP $80.00 inc. GST

Competition Licenses:

DIVISIONAL DRAG LICENCE:

Event Only Vehicles slower than 11.99 Total Cost Cover $5.00 inc GST, including Category Two PA add $5.00 inc GST.

JUNIOR COMPETITION LICENCE:

Ages between 8-16. Includes Licence, Log Book, Vehicle Name Registration and Subscription to Fast Lane. Consent of parent or guardian required who must be a full member of ANDRA. Total cost with ANDRA Associate Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Log Book, ANDRA Rule Book $125.00 inc. GST.

SUPER STREET LICENCE PACKAGE:

Cars 11.00 seconds and slower and Motorcycles slower than 10.50 seconds with an unmodified swing arm. Total cost with ANDRA Associate Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Rule Book $149.00 inc GST.

UNLIMITED DRAG LICENCE (UDL):

Cars quicker than 11.00 and Motorcycles 10.50. Total cost UDL Licence with Full ANDRA Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Rule Book $341.00 inc. GST or $491.00 inc. GST depending on your class requirements. Plus if required Log Book including GST is $30.00 for 2 years. A Medical Examination is required every two years.

GROUP ONE LICENCE (GOL):

Total cost Group One Licence with Full ANDRA Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Rule Book $1471.00 inc. GST. Plus if required Log Book $30.00 for 2 years. A Medical Examination is required every two years.

Memberships

WASCC - WA Sporting Car Club

Benefits:

- FREE admission to WA Sporting Car Club events including V8s.

- Access to drive on the circuit in your road or competition car at WASCC

Tuning Days for a nominal fee. CAMS Licence is required.

- Participation in motor sport as a driver.

- Minimum level required for CAMS competition eligibility.

- Voting rights.

- Lively and informative magazine The Racing Line sent free to members.

- Free Members' Cap.

- Access to McCrackan House at all events including V8 Supercar round.

- One FREE track hire voucher that can be redeemed at a Tuning Day or Drift Practice valued at $60 (not redeemable for cash).

- Discount tickets to events for family and friends.

Cost:Silver Membership: $260 Plus $70 Nomination fee for new Members.

Events:

Speed event series.

- www.speedeventseries.com

Event Type: Timed Events (Hill-climbs and Circuit)

Requirements:

- CAMS License Level 2S

- Long sleeved shirt and long pants, closed footwear.

- CAMS compliant/approved crash helmet.

- CAMS approved, stamped, fire extinguisher fixed securely with metal bracket.

- Roll cages are not required but suggested. Any fitted roll cage must be CAMS compliant.

- Your vehicle must have the battery position marked with a blue triangle (150mm x 150mm x 150mm), positioned as close as possible to your battery.

Approximate Cost:

Each Round has an Entry Fee of approximately $100-$130, which normally includes a practice run and 4 timed runs.

Entry to the Series is currently $45/yr

No Limits Events

http://www.nolimitevents.com/news.php

Event Type: Timed Non-competitive Circuit

Requirements:

- CAMS License Level 2S

- Member of No Limits Car Club

- long sleeved shirt and long pants, closed footwear.

Approximate Cost:

Each event has an Entry Fee of approximately $165 which includes expert tuition and timed runs.

State Sprint Championship

http://www.dtec.com.au/

Event Type: Timed MotorKhana

Location: RAC Driver Training Center - near Perth International Airport

Requirements:

- AASA or CAMS License Level 2S

- Current drivers license

- All vehicles shall be road worthy and road registered. No unlicensed vehicles can compete unless by prior approval & possible inspection by the organisers.

- Tyres must be of a type approved for road use. (DOT)

- Lap sash seat belts is the minimum requirement.

- Vehicles must complete all tests using the same tyres fitted during the vehicles first run of the first test. Wheels and tyres may only be changed due to damage - which must be inspected by the scrutineer.

Wheels and tyres can be rotated front to back.

- Open top vehicles must have suitable roll over protection fitted.

- A 1kg or larger fire extinguisher must be fitted. (with metal fixing bracket)

- To conform to a restricted class, as a minimum, cars must be road registered and must comply with current Australian Standards, within the cc requirements, have two front seats,

2 front seat belts, factory door trims, factory dash, factory windows and carpet.

- Open class is vehicle with stripped interior, and or roll cage etc.

- Drivers shall wear flame retardant (non-flammable, eg cotton) clothing, covering from neck to wrist to ankle. (Nylon or synthetic clothing is not permitted)

- Drivers of cars shall wear approved safety helmets. (AS 1698, Snell SA90, BS6658-85)

- Drivers must sign supplied indemnity form and agree to all conditions.

Classes:

There will be up to nine different categories;

- Category A is vehicles up to 2000cc (restricted or open)

- Category B is vehicles 2001 - 3600cc (restricted or open)

- Category C is vehicles over 3601cc (restricted or open)

- Category D is all wheel drive vehicles (restricted or open)

- Outright (all classes combined)

Approximate Cost:

Each event has an Entry Fee of approximately $110.

Speed Dome Superkhana

www.classicrally.com.au

Event Type: Timed MotorKhana

Minimum Requirements:

- AASA License (can be issued on the day)

- Vehicles will be scrutineered prior to the event

- Australian Standard compliant/approved crash helmet.

- Compulsory Drivers Briefing.

Classes:

Competition shall be divided into the following classes (by age and engine size):

(a) Vehicles produced within the following years: Up to 1965, 1966-1985, 1986-2009

(b) Engine size categories: Up to 2000cc and over 2000cc

An engine capacity multiplication factor of 1.7 applies to turbocharged and supercharged vehicles. A Rotary Equivalence factor is calculated by the formula of 1.5 times the volume determined by subtracting the minimum capacity of the working chamber/s from its/their maximum capacity.

Approximate Cost:

The entry fee including GST is $65 per driver. Multiple entries per car are allowed, but payment must be made with separate entry forms for each driver.

Classic Rally

www.classicrally.com.au

Event Type: Road Rally

WASCC Tuning Days

- www.wascc.com.au

Event Type: Track Practice

Requirements:

- WASCC Membership

- CAMS License Level 2S

Approximate Cost:

Each Tuning day has a cost of $60, and allows for up to 7hrs of practice time

WASCC Regularity Trial

- www.wascc.com.au

Event Type: Regularity Trial

This is a class based event, where the aim is to complete the cicruit in a nominated time, the person who

is closest to there nominated time recieves the least points, and the person with the least points at the end

of the event is the winner.

Requirements:

- CAMS License Level 2S

- Roll cages are not required but suggested. Any fitted roll cage must be CAMS compliant.

- Your vehicle must have the battery position marked with a blue triangle (150mm x 150mm x 150mm), positioned as close as possible to your battery.

Classes:

- Production Sports Cars

- Modern Cars

- Historic Touring Cars

- Historic Front Engine Cars

- Racing Cars & Open Sports Cars

Approximate Cost:

Each regularity trial has a cost of $150 +$15 transponder hire

Whoopass Wednesday

Motorplex 2009 Calender

Event Type: Timed Heads-Up Drag Racing

Minimum Requirements:

- ANDRA compliant/approved crash helmet.

- Roadworthy (unlicenced, yellow sticker ok) muffled Street Car or Bike;

- Road worthy closed cars (Sedans/Utes etc) Min clothing, a helmet and long sleeves, long pants and enclosed footware.

- Road worthy open cars (convertibles/roadsters) slower than 12.99 seconds (1/4mile)/8.50 (1/8mile). Min clothing, a helmet leather jacket or bike jacket with appropriate inserts,

full face helmet and visor full leather gloves long pants and shoes and socks.

- Road worthy open cars (convertibles/roadsters) faster than 12.99 seconds (1/4mile)/8.50 (1/8mile). As per ANDRA rules ie: roll cage, arm restraints, harness, etc

- All Motorcycle riders need a recognised riding jacket with appropriate protection inserts, or leather riding jacket, long pants ankle length boots full leather motorcycle

riding gloves as minimum or preferably full bike riding leathers.

- All drivers and riders must hold or have held a civil drivers licence.

Approximate Cost:

Each event has an Entry Fee of approximately $45

Note: Depending on the ET of you car you may be asked to purchase a full ANDRA license

Fast Friday

Motorplex 2009 Calender

Event Type: Timed DYO Drag Racing

Minimum Requirements:

- ANDRA compliant/approved crash helmet.

- Roadworthy (unlicenced, yellow sticker ok) muffled Street Car or Bike;

- Road worthy closed cars (Sedans/Utes etc) Min clothing, a helmet and long sleeves, long pants and enclosed footware.

- Road worthy open cars (convertibles/roadsters) slower than 12.99 seconds (1/4mile)/8.50 (1/8mile). Min clothing, a helmet leather jacket or bike jacket with appropriate inserts,

full face helmet and visor full leather gloves long pants and shoes and socks.

- Road worthy open cars (convertibles/roadsters) faster than 12.99 seconds (1/4mile)/8.50 (1/8mile). As per ANDRA rules ie: roll cage, arm restraints, harness, etc

- All Motorcycle riders need a recognised riding jacket with appropriate protection inserts, or leather riding jacket, long pants ankle length boots full leather motorcycle

riding gloves as minimum or preferably full bike riding leathers.

- All drivers and riders must hold or have held a civil drivers licence.

Classes:

- SPORTSMAN (0-12.99): MAX field size 16 - Purpose built race vehicles and/or street cars that do not comply with current roadworthy regulations.

No mechanical supercharging. Exhaust may be open headers. DYO handicap

- PROFESSIONAL GLASS NOSTALGIA: MAX field size 16 - Front Engine Dragsters, Nostalgia Style Altereds, Early Model Sedans and Street Rods.

No Mechanical Supercharging (under bonnet Street Chargers ok but must be muffled). Purpose built cars may be open headers. DYO handicap

- RILUSI MODIFIED BIKE (0-11.99): Regular ANDRA licensed riders and Modified bikes. DYO handicap

- RILUSI STREET BIKE (0-15.99): Muffled licensed Street Bikes. DYO handicap

- PRO AUTO PERFORMANCE OZ EFI: Muffled road going late model Australian built V8 EFI vehicles. DYO handicap. Slicks OK

- STREET: Muffled road going V8 vehicles that comply with current roadworthy regulations. Slicks OK. DYO handicap.

- SPORT COMPACT: Muffled Street 4, 6, Rotaries and Compact Injected V8s. Slicks OK. DYO handicap.

- BUTLER BUILT JUNIOR DRAGSTER: ANDRA licensed Junior Dragsters as per ANDRA Rule Book. DYO Handicap

Approximate Cost:

Each event has an Entry Fee of approximately $TBA

Note: Depending on the ET of you car you may be asked to purchase a full ANDRA license

Note: ALL DRAG RACING BRACKETS DYO (Dial Your Own) Handicap