SAU Community

What Size Wheels Should I Get?

hey guys im looking to buy new wheels and was wondering what would be the decent size wheels and tyres for my r34.because where i live cops will defect u over the slightest little thing. also brands would help.

post-65264-1249462756_thumb.jpg

So long as your offset is right, you don't go stupidly wide, and your "rolling diameter" is as close as possible to stock, you should be fairly safe. There's a +/-% variance for the rolling diameter I believe..

I've replaced my 225/50 R16 Stock wheels/tyres with 18x8's in 235/40 Tyres. I think my offset is +38, though I reallly can't remember of the top of my head.. needless to say it fits perfectly and I have no problems whatsoever with driveability.

If you have rims that just look too big for the car, and an offset that has the wheels too far in or too far out that it's obvious, then expect to have problems with defects. Also a wheel that doesn't stand out TOO much (such as big chunky chrome rims) will help reduce the amount of attention you get.

If you do a google search you'll find a wheel calculator that will tell you the variance in your speedo reading at a given speed, and also what sort of profile you will need to maintain close to stock rolling diameter.

On an N/A you don't want to go TOO big with wheel size, unless you want excessive weight at the wheels. The weight difference between my stock wheels and 18" alloys was considerable and definitely noticeable when my car was in its N/A form.

I felt a definate difference when I got my 18's - though bit harder to tell considering the old tyres were bald and had no grip whatsoever! I'd say 18's are the way to go. 19's seemed too big when I sized them up on my 34, not to mention how rough they'd feel on the road and the weight of them.

im running 18 x 8.5 ruff racing rims with a 235/40 yellow sea tire and my rims have quite a bit of dish at 40mm and can clear brembo calipers, so they are pretty wide...they fit the car well imo, the front tires used to make a loud scrubbing noise from touching the inside of the plastic wheel well trim when turned to full-lock (mostly only happened in parking lots and caused people to look at my car as if they were thinking wtf is wrong with ur car) but the tires will quickly cut their own groove into the plastic with no harm to the tire and then the noise will stop

...even with the dish the tires dont come out past the fender flares except for a bit at the bottom where the molding curves in a bit, but i reckon it gives it that tough look with the bit of tread sticking out

If it's a GT-T then your stock size is 225/45R17, if you want to keep it pretty kosher then...

17"

Continue running 225/45R17 on a wheel sized between 17x7 and 17x8.5 (your stock wheel is a 17x7.5)

If you desire a staggered fitment then run a 255/40R17 on the rear, this tyre will easily fit on a rim sized 17x8.5 - 17x10.

18"

225/40R18 would be the ideal tyre size. You can happily run this on a rime size 18x7.5 - 18x9 (although personally at least make your wheel 18x8). If you want to run a single size wheel/tyre the whole way round use this size.

If you want a staggered fitment you could run a 255/35R18 on the rear you can run this size on a rim 18x8.5 - 18x10. (This staggered fitment is what I will be running when my new wheels arrive for my R34)

*You could also run a 235/40R18 all the way around or stagger the fitment with a 265/35R18 on the rear. These tyres are more common and a little cheaper but won't be as good a match in terms of rolling circumference/speedo and will give you a lightly larger sidewall.

19"

235/35R18 is a pretty decent size to run and will fit on a rim sized 19x8 - 19x9.5

For your staggered option run a 265/30R19 (19x9.5 - 19x10.5) or a 275/30R19 (19x9.5 - 19x11). Now the 265 is closer to your stock wheel size however the 275 probably matches up with the 235/35R19 a little bit better. Both sizes would be acceptable.

As your car runs the same size front and rear from stock you should technically run the same size front and rear again with your aftermarket wheels. However a staggered fitment is a pretty popular concept with RWD Skyline owners.

i got 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 on my R34 hmmm 235's on the front with a yummy 275's on the back.....drroooolll lol

Woahh haha :P those are some thiickkk tyres hehe, cars looks sexyy :down: i like it.

im running 18 x 8.5 ruff racing rims with a 235/40 yellow sea tire and my rims have quite a bit of dish at 40mm and can clear brembo calipers, so they are pretty wide...they fit the car well imo, the front tires used to make a loud scrubbing noise from touching the inside of the plastic wheel well trim when turned to full-lock (mostly only happened in parking lots and caused people to look at my car as if they were thinking wtf is wrong with ur car) but the tires will quickly cut their own groove into the plastic with no harm to the tire and then the noise will stop

...even with the dish the tires dont come out past the fender flares except for a bit at the bottom where the molding curves in a bit, but i reckon it gives it that tough look with the bit of tread sticking out

with 18x8's and 30mm lowered king springs, I don't lose any of my turning circle, full lock no scrub :down:

ohhhh hahahaha i understand now lol :blink:

umm 22 which includes 4 club display trophies, so 18 individually :D

nicceee, congratzz :) hopefully one day i will see it in flesh haha, all your shows are in Adelaide correct?

Here is the RTA Vehicle Standards Information sheet on alternative wheels and tyres. I am assuming he OP is from Port Macquarie NSW. I'd suggest giving it a read.

If it's a GT-T then your stock size is 225/45R17, if you want to keep it pretty kosher then...

17"

Continue running 225/45R17 on a wheel sized between 17x7 and 17x8.5 (your stock wheel is a 17x7.5)

You cannot run a narrower wheel than stock, the 7" wide wheel is out.

If you desire a staggered fitment then run a 255/40R17 on the rear, this tyre will easily fit on a rim sized 17x8.5 - 17x10.

Anything wider than 8.5" is illegal. You can only go 26mm (or 1") wider than the stock wheel.

Offset-wise you can only run 12mm lower than stock to keep it under the 25mm track increase limit. I can't seem to find any data on the stock GT-T offset (I've seen everywhere from +35 to +45) so, whatever you've got stamped on the back of the rim, knock 12 off that.

As for how big the diameter you should go, that's going to be up to your aesthetics and your budget. Low profile tyres are generally not cheap.

I personally think that 1-2" bigger than the biggest stock wheel gives the best look in terms of the ratio between rim, tyre sidewall, and wheelarch size. But that will also depend on the design of the wheel as well.

haha if you're coming here for one of our motor shows you'll probably be the only Skyline unless my HR31 owning mates decide to enter again (doubtful as generally the only people who appreciate them are either Japanese or our mates).

Personally with rims I'd not go bigger than 17" on a HR31, R32 or R33 and 18" on a R34. Offset matters too - I have +22 x 9.5" on the rear of mine which juuust sit in the guards, and look fat as.

haha if you're coming here for one of our motor shows you'll probably be the only Skyline unless my HR31 owning mates decide to enter again (doubtful as generally the only people who appreciate them are either Japanese or our mates).

do you think it bothers me if im the only skyline owner there? wouldnt be the first time ive been the only jap car at a show