SAU Community

Internet, Cheap + Decent Dwnld Amount

GTAAAH

Hey, moving out next week and am looking for new net for the house

Theres heaps of internet plans and deals around so i was hoping someone else around had figured out which one is best already. Have been googling a bit and all sorts of wild claims going on

so yeh, which is best?

Looking to spend about $40-50 a month, need at least 30 gig dwnld and at least 10 of that during day, can be adsl2 or cable... or adsl 1? if it's like 9 mb/s or thereabouts

The other thing is i dont want a 12 month contract, and if it has to be on dont want to pay a huge cancellation fee

Also + modem + no connection fee would be good. The house has a phone line but probably won't have a phone

Cheers in advance

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you want will be a pretty tall ask. iinet might be able to do it. don't forget though you'll need a phone line too and line rental is a bitch, of course you can go "naked dsl" which they allow you to not have a phone line but you don't save much $$.

Huh? You can't... if your talking about most recent threads... thats the purpose of it.

Anyway - iinet, check the Vic section, there is a MASSIVE thread on ISP's, about 5 pages now worth of info.

IINET & Internode are the two best outside of the extortion telstra/optus side of things and you'll get decent support, downloads and speed.

TPG is cheaper, but f**king terrible for support and often "randomly" cap your connection and pretend they are not the cause of it being slow (two people i know now have had it happen).

So ye, $50 for 30gb will be pushing it though.

IINET home 3 plan is 35GB, $90 including phone, but for every $10-15 after that you get huge increases in download quota.

If you plan on torrenting - dont bother with Naked, it counts your upload as part of you quota so in effect its WORSE than paying for a rental of phone.

ah ouch, wow i thought the net would have come down in price by now, coverage is pretty huge even in cable now, looks like i might have to just drop back to a 10 gb plan and try not to live stream anything or dwnld much

I've actually had optus randomly cap my cable a few times, not sure why, always crap myself i've gone over cap then check and i'm like half way, what the

I'll check the topic out, had assumed it'd be here, cheers

TPG is cheaper, but f**king terrible for support and often "randomly" cap your connection and pretend they are not the cause of it being slow (two people i know now have had it happen).

I'm on TPG and haven't experienced anything like that and I download quite a bit on my 55Gb plan. Customer service over the phone is shite but if you send emails they respond pretty promptly. It's been probably 2-3 years since I've had connection issues with them where the connection would drop out randomly.

i'm in a semi rural area and limited to an adsl 1 connection

i'm with aapt - they supplied me with a modem which is not limited to just aapt (like optus and telstra do) and includes phone line rental and 15gb dl per month for $90. no upload caps and once i reach the dl limit is slows from 1600kps to 70kps so still useable if you need the net.

never had a drop out or been disonnected

the modem i have is hooked up to my pc by ethernet and the missus uses her laptop wireless straight from the modem.

have no contract either - just a once off connection fee and on my way.

Very decent people to deal with too.

service is a big thing for me, and the fact they send me sms updates on useage and when a bill is ready to be paid, it is worth the extra $$$

mind you i can get a 50gb limit for the same $$ if i lived in an adsl 2 area - just 600km too far...

I am very happy and recommend them - i have used "never heard of them isp's" who have poor pings or cant support their subscribers in peak times, connections drop and slow down - yeah you get 500gb of dl's but only from 1am to 9am and you cant leave it running because it will drop and sit at idle with no connection till you wake up, realising you wasted 8 hours where nothing downloaded.

like i said reliability and service means alot for piece of mind.

Edited by 910trx

Im currently a TPG customer and been for the past 3 years with no hiccups.

So i can vouch for them, their tech support is awful .. but bleh i work in tech support myself so i know whats usually wrong :(

MRXTCZ

ive been with Supernerd since they were G-node, and afterwards Blitz, and whilst under blitz most people found it woeful the speeds and pings are good for my location, and I pay 65 a month for ADSL 1 1500k 45GB, otherwise I'd go with Internode.

TPG customer since I 1st joined onto their unlimited Dial up plan to torrent anime (would take weeks to complete the download LOL) :P (switched over from Telstra, who had a crappy 400mb limit).

In the past 4 or so years I have had no major problem with my plan. I'm however on their old ADSL 1 plan (the most expensive one; 50gb limit $99/month) due to my crappy exchange in WA not supporting ADSL 2+.

EDIT: if you live anywhere OTHER than WA, then you should be able to get their ADSL 2+ plans which might have the price/download limit you are looking for.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Im currently a TPG customer and been for the past 3 years with no hiccups.

So i can vouch for them, their tech support is awful .. but bleh i work in tech support myself so i know whats usually wrong :P

MRXTCZ

Ditto, getting good speeds too.

1.3-1.4MB/s from Usenet consistently. Drops to around 700-800KB/s during leecher hour.

No where near as bad as Exetel, went from ADSL2+ speeds to 100KB/s after hitting Midnight.

I've used Internode, I had their ADSL1 8000Kbps before I could get ADSL2+. They were okay, I got them for their Usenet access. They're very expensive tho. In terms of connection no better or worse than TPG to be honest. Their support was great, TPG's support is crap. But seriously, haven't had drop out issues (ISP side) in years, very similar to what TALBO reports.. Your call. It very rarely is the ISP's fault, remember that.

I'm talking about general internet use/leeching, apparently in gaming Internode is meant to be better? Like shaving off 10ms in CS or something, I don't know if it's worth it but hey! It's 10ms faster!

As for the connection the OP should get, since you want something so specific do check out whirlpool. Here's a direct link: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search

BTW: ADSL1's max speed is 8000Kbps, which equates to a theoretical maximum speed of 1MB/s.

• 1 month later...
AAPT has the unlimited off peak for 50 a month i think

but you have to be in a contract for 2 years

they tried to string me in and it almost worked, but i'm moving in a few months to a place with an established connection so its no good having a contract, at the moment i'm not tied to one so i can just walk away if need be.

I've got a bit of an update for my speed with iinet.

I was downloading around 1.3mb/s on average (900m from the exchange roughly)

Since upgrading my router ($350 billion item) it now hits 1.8-1.9mb/s.

WINNER! I gotta say, some parts are worth the extra, i'll always buy decent routers from now on.