SAU Community

SKYLINE light

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before, I did it to my car and it worked quite well.

Basically i just painted the whole thing, rubbed the letters back, and stuck a neon in it

but i am gonna change it from a neon to something else, as the neon doesnt light up the whole word (too short)

well i start with this:

panel2.jpg

then you gut the crap out of it coz the stupid EL sheet isn't working

like so:

panel1.jpg

then you wire up some nice high brightness LEDs instead

wire it up to this device from jaycar

productLarge_6445.jpg

(modded to provide enough to power small clusters of LEDs instead of a single low power one

and you get

lit_up_arse.jpg

and with a flick of the switch you get...

lit_up_arse.gif

it was a side effect actually, the reason i got that jaycar alarm light was because I have 7 clusters of LED's for each letter fo the word SKYLINE and the alarm light works off 12V that the car gives off, so instead of stuffing around trying to find a circuit to power the LEDs, I jus plugged em into the alarm light module and tweaked the resistance a little.

Now here's sumfin you might be able to help me with Autotrust, since you're good with alarms, how do I make it do a back n forth cycle when I arm my alarm? and again when I disarm (basically it should also work when the signal lights light up.)

I have a series 2 GTS-T and i don't have the clear SKYLINE letters, mine are all painted...

i remember a long time ago there was a HOW TO guide to light it up...

i couldn't find it :) is anyone able to post a how to guide for cars without the clear letters. would be much appreciated...

THANKYOU!

funkymonkey, Using the positive pulses from your central locking to energize 2 relays with capacitors accross the coils - one for lock and one for unlock. This will give you a base to energize the light for a period of time on arm and disarm. the output from these relays then merge via 2 3amp diodes to the positive of the light. the park light input will need a 3amp diode aswell to prevent back feed to the park light circuit. I would probably start with caps of about 2200 microfarads and just double up to increase duration. :) Hope this helps! Hope to see you at the boys place soon!

just to doubble check,

this is the rear i have

skyline.jpg

so do i have to scratch the white paint? or do i have to buy a clear one, and spray it so its not clear except the letters?

sorry i might do this on the weekend but i would like to know what i am getting myself into...

thanks guys :D

AFIK SII R33's have an opaque plastic bevel (ie if you keep sanding you'll make yourself a hole sooner than you'll make it clear)

I think a swap is in order.

Danny... OMG i din even realise it was you lol... I've been at their place virually every day for the last couple of days for one reason or another.

That sorta made sense to me, how do you control the time in which the capacitor dissipates? I wouldn't want it cutting off halfway thru a cycle :D

Thanks for the quick response skyliners!

Hmmm, i have a series 1 R33, those R32 pics look cool though!!!

Um, its got a clear plastic cover, and the writing is covered in silver paint, somehow i have to strip it off, but being on plastic it might be a little hard.

I have a few neons i can try lighting it up with, but maybe some really bright led's might be the go. Or a strobe light for people who tale gate or drive with their highbeams on! Now thats just being mean!

Will have to investigate further, cheers again for those wicked pics and info! Keep this thread goin though...

Hey Guys

FunkyMonkey, that's an awesome job, great work!!! I have a R33 S1 and yeah, with the clear Skyline panel, this also can be done with the R33 but its a lot more difficult.

The basic concept is the same as the R32, but the panel itself is a lot thinner and is more difficult to get behind.

I'm trying to do it now, and ended up cutting a whole behind the word.........since prying off all the gummy stuff got too painful.

Anyway, I'm almost done, when finished, I'll try to post some pictures up here.