SAU Community

not having front number plate. legal or illegal?

Bassit

i've seen quite a few recently in sydney not having them.

or having them in ridiculouse positions where it cant be seen anyway..

like inside in the dashboard... or 10 cm inside the front spolier. or even little stickers...

does anyone here know for certain whethere these are a REQUIREMENT to have in NSW.

fanks :headspin:

Yes you do have to display them.

I had a front ender awhile ago and the plate has a crease in it. So i've decided to go without it instead of paying for a new one. I haven't been bothered yet, and if i do i'll tell the officer it is on order from the RTA. I wouldn't ever place a plate on the dash, thats just praying for a decapitation.

I keep my mashed front plate behind the seat, incase a cop doesn't believe me.

I keep my mashed front plate behind the seat, incase a cop doesn't believe me.

Wow, that's a good idea. We should all deliberately mangle our plates and keep them under the seat and use the same story :D

does anyone know if its a requirement in qld?

yes it is...i was stopped about 30 meters from my house because I didn't have one on. Queensland transport said it was ok since i was buying a slimline plate from them..they asked me to take the old one off the car, and keep their receipt for the slimline plate in my glove box. They said this would be fine since the cops know about this kind of arrangement.

So I was driving for about a week without a front number plate, n as I was driving home one evening, the cops stopped me for it....even gave me a breath test for good measure. idiots. I showed them the receipts and even argued about the whole "Queensland transport said it was ok" and they said I should have a license plate on regardless blah blah blah...

Another friend of mine still hasn't got her plates on, n she does still get stopped. I dunno her reasons for not having one, but it's not advisable not to have it on.

hope this helps

Last time I drove to sydney I lost my front number plate about Grafton (I think) and didn't notice till I arrived in Sydney. After about 2 hrs in Sydney I was pulled over and given the third degree. They very nearly booked me as they didn't like my story. Came back to Qld and waited for my new plates for a week and no even looked sideways at me. Either I am very unlucky or they are very tough on that sort of thing in Sydney.

yes it is...i was stopped about 30 meters from my house because I didn't have one on. Queensland transport said it was ok since i was buying a slimline plate from them..they asked me to take the old one off the car, and keep their receipt for the slimline plate in my glove box. They said this would be fine since the cops know about this kind of arrangement.

So I was driving for about a week without a front number plate, n as I was driving home one evening, the cops stopped me for it....even gave me a breath test for good measure. idiots. I showed them the receipts and even argued about the whole "Queensland transport said it was ok" and they said I should have a license plate on regardless blah blah blah...

Another friend of mine still hasn't got her plates on, n she does still get stopped. I dunno her reasons for not having one, but it's not advisable not to have it on.  

hope this helps

thanks Nrage33

I had 3 cops in a marked car following me on my way home after my rear plate had fallen off the night before..they came up next to me at a red light and asked why I didn't have a rear plate on and i told em i lost it the night before and they just told me to go to the RTA and get a new set or they would book me if they saw me again. I was surprised I didnt get booked for once!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's illegal.

I haven't got mine, because it's a MASSIVE full size one, and won't fit in the Series 2 Front bar, unless i hack half of it off.

So for a month i've driven without it, and haven't been stopped. I've got all the paperwork to say i've ordered slim-line versions, and the plate is sitting on the floor in the car.

Friday my plates come in, and today (Sunday) i get stopped. Luckily he let me go after i told him my situation.

Note to self: Go get plates! :P

Anybody ever bought those slimline sticker number plates? u know, the one where there is no plysical number plate, just a sticker with the rego number on it?

Should look into that, I think that's a great way to go about things. No piece of metal on your front bar, but legal as ever. Seen a few GTR's with it...does the trick i'd say

PLPS.

A front plate must be displayed at all times ,dont know of the lagalities of having to be in stock position tho.I've run my own front bar for several years here in s.a. and have used a hand made plate that will fit it with a sticker on it and have had several warnings so far;i tried to explain to the boys that a govt issued plate wont fit any imported nissan front bar- but they dont want to know.I'm currently making a new front bar that will take a slim line legal plate and still give an intercooler opening of 600w x3ooh so all should be cool.

Regards,

SKYLINE....

I wonder if it is legal to mount the number plate towards the right-hand side of the front bar?..

Reason I ask is because next week i'm putting my front-mount on and I want to modify the factory bar by cutting that number plate section out (R33 S1 front bar). I suppose it is still mounted on the front of the vehicle and the visibility would be the same as if it were positioned in the original location.

firebladejr,

when you mount the intercooler you wont gain much by cutting the bar down to give it more air flow as there is a metal anti intrusion bar behind,that legally cant be cut down

Regards,

SKYLINE....