SAU Community

R32 Gtr Stalling

Hi,

I know this is impossible to diagnose from the comfort of your PC, and it will shortly be going to the workshop to figure out, but I have a stalling problem with my R32 GTR and was hoping someone could say "ah that's the XYZ thing they all do that just do X and it'll be fine" :)

Symptoms are:

• On cold start, idles mostly fine but drops every 2-5 seconds (sounds like a lost sheep: baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaa baa baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa )
  • Never misses a beat on 20%+ throttle - smooth and still pulls hard on full throttle
  • When it gets warm (ie 70deg+) it starts occasionally losing power and stalling when idling (eg when clutch-in upon stop). Pumping accelerator before it actually stalls revives it and it keeps on running until the next time
  • Once it starts, it will quite often do the same on low throttle (eg cruising at 50km/h @ 3000rpm). If throttle position is maintained it will revive itself after 1-2 seconds.

Related info

• I've just had new splitfire coils & plugs put in last week as 5 out of the 6 oem ones were cracked.
  • Mate has suggested possible cracked head gasket with a cylinder sucking in water. Radiator shows no signs of oil though.
  • When I bought it 5 months ago all cylinders were compression tested and all were exactly 150psi
  • Since purchase I have done a couple of supersprints and a couple of hillclimbs so any components that were about to fail due to be 15 years old have now been stressed

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Because of the age, my suspicion is the fuel pump

yeah it does feel like a fuel delivery problem, but if so would it be ok on boost? Must say the fuel pump is pretty loud when pre-priming - it sounds like my walboro in-tank one I had in the S15 so I thought it might be an aftermarket item installed by a previous owner. I guess it's impossible to tell without pulling it out...

Is it likely to be any other part of the fuel delivery system, eg filter, injectors?

Cheers

List of other mods including ecu type would help

Good point. The car is a stock 1994 R32 GTR with the factory ECU unmodifed, only engine mods are 3" exhaust and splitfires coilpacks. As mentioned above fuel pump *may* be aftermarket but really don't know.