SAU Community

S2 Front Radius Rod/castor Rod Bushes

beardcore

Not sure which ones, but I know they're in the Superpro catalogue too 'cause I have some superpro caster bushes on mine. Only gave me a bit under 2 degrees though at maximum adjustment. If you need to know the part number I know a workshop you can call to find out...

Ah ok thanks Simon. Pity everything has to be pillowball; probably it'll wear out in no time and just start making more noise... would be just my luck. Might have to look for something compatible in the whiteline catalogue.

not so, I got IKEYA-FORMULA bush type ones, made in japan and expensive, but bush is easily replaceable with nissan one, http://www.nengun.com/ikeya-formula/tension-rod.

Ive always thought it wouldnt be too hard to convert the stock rods into adjustable ones by an engineer, ie cut, thread and rejoin with a hi-tensile turnbuckle, and be stronger than a lot of the rubbish out there.

I prefer the liquid filled OEM bushes, takes out the harshness of the road transmitted through the car, I drove with Nolathane castor bushes for about a week before ditching them for comfort.

I have some superpro bushes and at maximum adjustment, I only have 4 degrees on the passenger's side and 3.5 on the driver's. That's simply not enough - even my mate's VP commondoor wagon has about 7.5 stock.

Simon thanks a heap for that link to the adjustable bush ones - man there's a lot on Nengun which I haven't noticed before. It's somewhat reassuring that they have those listed as being specifically compatible with C34, and it's a special 4wd version so hopefully heavyduty. EXPENSIVE though. They are adjustable though, right?

I prefer the liquid filled OEM bushes, takes out the harshness of the road transmitted through the car, I drove with Nolathane castor bushes for about a week before ditching them for comfort.

Wow.... I found all the bushes(whiteline adjustable ones) that I added great, firmed the car up, it felt nice, NVH was fine, I guess it is a personal choice...

Guessing the lack of castor is due to the AWD setup Dave? The VP having more castor doesnt mean it is a better car to drive or that it has a superior suspension design does it?

Yes more castor provides greater straightline stability at high speed (downside is more stress on steering components at low speed e.g. parking). Thats why I got 2nd hand castor arms for about the same price as eccentric bushes - more adjustment for about the same money. Some Skylines specify 8 or 9deg castor... I am running 6 deg on my S1.

No I doubt it's a better car to drive :D But it is weird that we get so little, stock. Could be they were worried about the longevity of the front CV's (SK mentioned too much castor would be a bad thing... but I'm not sure how much 'too much' was... more than 10 degrees I think it was?).

Just wondering if those "Ikeya Formula" tension rods (the bush ones) on Nengun (http://www.nengun.com/ikeya-formula/tension-rod) are adjustable? The picture is so small it's hard to tell... but at the price they should be surely.

Oh yeah, and from what Simon said in post #7, I take it the bushes in them can be replaced with the original Nissan part when they wear?

Edited by DaveB

No I doubt it's a better car to drive :D But it is weird that we get so little, stock. Could be they were worried about the longevity of the front CV's (SK mentioned too much castor would be a bad thing... but I'm not sure how much 'too much' was... more than 10 degrees I think it was?).

Just wondering if those "Ikeya Formula" tension rods (the bush ones) on Nengun (http://www.nengun.com/ikeya-formula/tension-rod) are adjustable? The picture is so small it's hard to tell... but at the price they should be surely.

Oh yeah, and from what Simon said in post #7, I take it the bushes in them can be replaced with the original Nissan part when they wear?

It would be pulling on the CV's, threaded rods just dont sound safe too me :S

• 4 months later...

bumping an old thread :happy:

so my S2 RS Four S was pulling a little to the LEFT, so i got a wheel alignment done

didn't fix the problem, so i take it back to the mechy and he says the caster arm is shot, and the FR wheel is in front of the FL wheel, thus pulling LEFT

they said a replacement caster arm plus install is $275

jousting sticks? or sound about right?

from reading the above, maybe i should just buy a 2nd hand (thicker?) caster arm (rod?) and get it installed?

what's the diff between caster arm, rod, bush etc.?

sorry for the newbness :D

replacement arm and install for $275 doesnt sound to bad....

Its not the arm that should be stuffed, more the bush itself. Have a look underneath to see how it looks. Have a search for other threads on this subject as I got solid adjustable castor bushes put in my about 2 months ago.

bumping an old thread :)

so my S2 RS Four S was pulling a little to the LEFT, so i got a wheel alignment done

didn't fix the problem, so i take it back to the mechy and he says the caster arm is shot, and the FR wheel is in front of the FL wheel, thus pulling LEFT

they said a replacement caster arm plus install is $275

jousting sticks? or sound about right?

from reading the above, maybe i should just buy a 2nd hand (thicker?) caster arm (rod?) and get it installed?

what's the diff between caster arm, rod, bush etc.?

sorry for the newbness :P

my car is doing exactly the same, the suspension mob near me said that the radius rod bushes are dead and my cradle is sitting crooked. he also said i should get a camber kit . im more confused then ever. they quoted new radius rod bushes, camber kit, wheel alignment and labour to be $726. can you please let me know what you end up doing and if it solves the problems. thanks

i got 2 wheel alignments im my rs four s before i read on here about castor . the done actually pull left they just follow camber bad . if you drive in the middle of the road itll go straight and if you drive on the wrong side of the road it will pull right . i put white line adjustable bushes (KCA332 $140 NZ R33gtr) in mine and got 4.5 on the left and 4 on the right and its good as . havent noticed and exxesive nvh as chook said

my car is doing exactly the same, the suspension mob near me said that the radius rod bushes are dead and my cradle is sitting crooked. he also said i should get a camber kit . im more confused then ever. they quoted new radius rod bushes, camber kit, wheel alignment and labour to be $726. can you please let me know what you end up doing and if it solves the problems. thanks

Well FYI, I had radius rod (castor) bushes and camber bushes supplied and fitted to my S2 for ~$450, which I considered a reasonable price. Plus a 4-wheel full alignment shouldn't be much more than $70.