SAU Community

Boost Response Help!

Revenge

The blocks are PLENTY strong. I have seen where and how they are made, the quality of the steel used in the casting process and the machine shop they are made in. I am in there regularly.

the blocks are cast from offcuts from the manufacture of body panels and are therefore very high grade steel. not cast rubbish.

I know a whole lot more about the the engineering process but cant tell you anymore than that :P

Are you sure ? I don't think I've ever seen a production engine block made of any grade of steel , they have always been aluminium with liners or iron . A steel block would be very expensive as well as very heavy and Ford aren't really into expensive and heavy .

Cheers A .

BTW the only GT2860R family turbos I'd bother using on a four litre six are the GT2860RS's , they have the largest 0.86 A/R GT28 turbine housings (which are not huge either) and std they have T04B compressor housings .

Personally I wouldn't bother with twins unless you can't get a decent TS exhaust manifold . On an engine that size even ball bearings aren't so critical because there is more than enough exhaust gas flow to drive adequate turbos into boost .

Later bush/plate bearing center section turbos are a lot better than the old (ancient) T3/T04 centres meaning more reliable .

Your call , cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

the ford block isn't so much of an issue. the heads are though. i think the 4.0L engines may be a bit better than the 3.9L. i had a series 2 ea falcon as my first car and i went through a few head gaskets. went pretty well after the second one since the head had been shaved twice, LOL

also i have seen a few turbo'd 4.0L falcons and they seem to handle it alright.

That's complete crap "too big" also a built falcon engine can rev to 6000-6500rpm no worries. Standard form around 5500rpm in the old SOHC, 6000rpm in the newer Barra DOHC setup. Air flow wise a falcon @ 5000rpm for example pushes more air then a 1JZ @ 7000rpm maybe even a 2JZ.

They can rev that hard, but to make the SOHC engine efficient at that high rpm you need to have a fairly wild cam and a decent port job. And they are extremely harsh at those revs too, it's not really worth it. Remember they have a long stroke (99mm vs the rb26's 73mm), so piston speeds are getting up there as well (it's not just the head running out of flow that can stop them).

I go by how much power the N/A version of an engine makes when considering what turbochargers to use (as power roughly translates to airflow in most engines). Ie an EF Falcon makes 157kw, an R33 GTS Makes 147kw, and the only twin cam RB30 (Tommy Kaira M30) makes 177kw. So the Falcon 6 is somewhere in the same league as RB's when you are talking about turbocharging a nearly standard engine.

*edit: Oh, and I can't say enough about the EF onwards dual stage manifold. Get one if you are still running the EA-D manifold. You will need an rpm switch, a vacuum solenoid, and a computer that you can adjust the ignition timing on to suit the new runner lengths.

Exactly what parts are you using? I'm a falcon nut and am thinking about doing something like this as well...*

Edited by BLSTIC

Sorry to de-rail again.

The blocks are PLENTY strong. I have seen where and how they are made, the quality of the steel used in the casting process and the machine shop they are made in. I am in there regularly.

the blocks are cast from offcuts from the manufacture of body panels and are therefore very high grade steel. not cast rubbish.

I know a whole lot more about the the engineering process but cant tell you anymore than that

Pretty sure there a cast iron block dude. I have an EF as my daily and it's cast, I also have a BA block in the shed and it's also cast iron.

http://www.fordspec.com.au/specifications/ba.php

Look under Block Metal in the table. They have been doing cast iron blocks right from the get go.

another dirty thirty with -10s

what power is it making & at what boost level?

260rwkw on 14psi. Running hell rich but needs a re-tune badly.

Edited by James_03

sorry I should have clarified...

the stamping plant at Gelong produces 49% off cuts from the process of making panels. these offcuts are pressed into 1 foot square cubes and then melted down in the smelter of the casting plant and mixed with Iron. so it is a cast iron block with a high iron content.

this process has been happening since BA. I can not confirm what happend before that.,

I will get into trouble if i tell you any more than that :cool:

They can rev that hard, but to make the SOHC engine efficient at that high rpm you need to have a fairly wild cam and a decent port job. And they are extremely harsh at those revs too, it's not really worth it. Remember they have a long stroke (99mm vs the rb26's 73mm), so piston speeds are getting up there as well (it's not just the head running out of flow that can stop them).

I go by how much power the N/A version of an engine makes when considering what turbochargers to use (as power roughly translates to airflow in most engines). Ie an EF Falcon makes 157kw, an R33 GTS Makes 147kw, and the only twin cam RB30 (Tommy Kaira M30) makes 177kw. So the Falcon 6 is somewhere in the same league as RB's when you are talking about turbocharging a nearly standard engine.

*edit: Oh, and I can't say enough about the EF onwards dual stage manifold. Get one if you are still running the EA-D manifold. You will need an rpm switch, a vacuum solenoid, and a computer that you can adjust the ignition timing on to suit the new runner lengths.

Exactly what parts are you using? I'm a falcon nut and am thinking about doing something like this as well...*

The EA-ED inlet manifold is far better for turbocharging then the newer EF onwards one. There are several cars I know of running into the 9's on the standard EA-ED manifold.

Also with all the advice you are giving me regarding turbocharging falcon's, inlet manifold, revving, head work....don't. I'm not meaning to be rude but, I have been turbocharging falcon engines since 1998. My current TT falcon i have owned for 5 years. I'm just completing a turbo upgrade and I just wanted some opinions on the -10's.

In regards to the parts I am using I'm not releasing any spec's on anything, so I'm sure that you can appreciate that.