SAU Community

New R35 Tyre/wheel Combination

LSX-438

The 18x10's (GTC01's) that i have been running have a 22mm offset all round. So not ideal at all. Depending on the tyres they stick out from the front guards, which is against CAMS rules for motorsport events. I think even the TE37's stick out somewhat. I guess it's just a question of offsets etc. Spacers will not solve the problem (the wheels need to come in). I've done other mods to try and bring the top of the control arm in, but it's just not enough :P Even a rota with 30mm offset isnt completely ideal.

Can you machine a recess into the wheel? Just a thought?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you machine a recess into the wheel? Just a thought?

We looked into that, the Enkie's dont really have enough meat really. Another option is (i have heard) there is an adjustable upper control arm available now or soon. So you could lean the top arm in more, which would give more camber too. I looked into getting custom wheels made (by Simmons) just before they closed doors, about $1200/rim.

Dunc,

I look forward to your results with wheels and tyres, I am looking at either a setup like yours or doing the Hoosiers on 19s.

I get the feeling that the "inferior" arguement has now been flogged to death so hopefully heresay and speculation can stop and the guys who are actually testing and doing something rather than just keyboard bashing can have their thread back.

Keep up the good work Dunc you have provided more technical data and proven testing on the R35 on the track than almost anyone (Not forgetting Munro, Martin et al...lol)

Cheers.

Dunc,

I look forward to your results with wheels and tyres, I am looking at either a setup like yours or doing the Hoosiers on 19s.

I get the feeling that the "inferior" arguement has now been flogged to death so hopefully heresay and speculation can stop and the guys who are actually testing and doing something rather than just keyboard bashing can have their thread back.

Keep up the good work Dunc you have provided more technical data and proven testing on the R35 on the track than almost anyone (Not forgetting Munro, Martin et al...lol)

Cheers.

Thanks Gibbo. If I was setting up for a casual track days, unbound by the CAMS tyre list, I would probably go with the 19" RE30's and Hoosier R6's - I haven't tried them myself but a lot of the guys in the US have and they seem to work well by all accounts. Plus you just have less woes with sizes/clearances/offsets etc. They look good too :devil: However you obviously can't drive to the track on slicks... I've probably gone through 5 sets of tyres this year and (at $2500 a set) it adds up pretty quick! 19" 888's are significantly more $$ again. I am not even going to entertain the idea of the new 20" R's (quite evidently I am a cheap bastard, ha ha :P).

As for rim quality comments, some here should be careful about what they commit to writing on a public forum. We are looking to arrange alloy density uniformity testing via spectagram analysis with complimentary ultrasonic strength testing, possibly next week. So.. those with facts to back up their statements having nothing to worry about (and those talking out of their arse.. goodluck with that!) I am NOT joking.

i'm not worried lol. but im sure nissan will be interested finding out that they could have just got rota to build them cast wheels in a chinese factory at the same strength and weight as rays and at a fraction of the cost.

i'm not worried lol. but im sure nissan will be interested finding out that they could have just got rota to build them cast wheels in a chinese factory at the same strength and weight as rays and at a fraction of the cost.

lol, yeah, because that's exactly what this is about, isn't it......... ffs.