SAU Community

Boost Gauge Reading

R31 To R32

hey people, just have a quick q for anyone who can help. i got one of those boost gauges in the drivers vent. it was already installed when i got the car. it has vacuum in inHg on the left and psi on the right. when i go for a drive it will only read vacuum and not psi. is that supposed to do that or has it been put in wrong. i checked with the diy boost gauge tech page and it all seems to be hooked up right.

i have only recently got the car, a 92 r32 gtst and am just making sure its all working properly for me.

have also loaded a pic of the boost gauge too if that helps

cheers in advance everyone

post-62518-1255159996_thumb.jpg

Edited by R31 To R32

When you drive it, does it feel like it has boost? It may have no compressor wheel. Or it may be a break (disconnection) in the IC plumbing.

What other mods? Does it have an aftermarket ECU to confirm if it does actually boost?

Don't the GTSts have a boost gauge in the instrument cluster? What does it say?

it could be that the gauge is stuffed, or there is a split in the line that is opening up under boost. or it could be that your turbo is stuffed. if possible, borrow someone else's gauge and see if that works. or inspect the turbo. start by making sure the wastegate actuator isn't stuck open or you can't simply move it by hand (meaning the spring inside is stuffed). if that is fine then pull the intake pipe between the turbo and afm off and check for play in the compressor wheel and if you feel really energetic pull the dump pipe off and make sure the exhaust wheel is still there.

When you drive it, does it feel like it has boost? It may have no compressor wheel. Or it may be a break (disconnection) in the IC plumbing.

What other mods? Does it have an aftermarket ECU to confirm if it does actually boost?

Don't the GTSts have a boost gauge in the instrument cluster? What does it say?

Yeah it has the boost gauge in the cluster. i checked it with the other boost gauge and when it idles it sits about -5inHg and when i take it up to 3500-4000 when boost comes on, it goes up to +5inHg. i checked the other gauge and it will only go to 0 at the same point.

it could be that the gauge is stuffed, or there is a split in the line that is opening up under boost. or it could be that your turbo is stuffed. if possible, borrow someone else's gauge and see if that works. or inspect the turbo. start by making sure the wastegate actuator isn't stuck open or you can't simply move it by hand (meaning the spring inside is stuffed). if that is fine then pull the intake pipe between the turbo and afm off and check for play in the compressor wheel and if you feel really energetic pull the dump pipe off and make sure the exhaust wheel is still there.

tried moving the wastegate actuator by the bar that joins to the turbo. its a bit hard but it still moves. also when i moved it air blew out of the manual boost controller. dont know if thats supposed to happen. lol i'm still new to the turbo scene and am trying to learn as much as i can

Yeah it has the boost gauge in the cluster. i checked it with the other boost gauge and when it idles it sits about -5inHg and when i take it up to 3500-4000 when boost comes on, it goes up to +5inHg. i checked the other gauge and it will only go to 0 at the same point.
Clesarly you have boost, so the turbo itself is ok. Then the problem lies with the gauge - either it is stuffed on the "boost" side, or there is a leak in the hose supplying the boost to it.

he everyone the gauge seems to be working now. i pulled apart the gauge trim and tightened up and sealed everything behind it (wires and hose clamp) and tightened and taped up the T piece joint. took it for a squirt and now she's going into the psi range.

thanks for everyones help!!