SAU Community

This Cant Be Normal Can It?!

Hi guys,

Just doing some cleaning in the bay and i had a poke around where the belts are at the front of the engine. To my horror i find

some of the belts are cracked and torn on the side!!!!...the car has done 65,000Km, surely nothing happens to belts this early??

The belts are original, the say NISSAN all over it. Any opinions to why? and its solutions?............oh and i havent been hearing any weird noises or anything when starting up cold/warm or driving slow/hard.

Some pics to explain my point:

post-51287-1255315882_thumb.jpg<< Torn belt + Cracking

post-51287-1255315916_thumb.jpg<< another showing tear.

Cheers!

post-51287-1255315902_thumb.jpg

I'd expect the belts may begin to crack but the fraying suggests something is wrong, possibly needs an adjustment somewhere as it is causing undue pressure on one side of the belt, or else something is pretruding and cutting it as it runs past.

I'd expect belts to show wear anywhere over 60,000km and due to their age (2003) cracking is always a possibility too.

During my last routine service at approx 56k my mechanic replaced all my belts due to cracking which at that time I was quite surprised but reading this thread makes me feel much better :D

Could you give an approximate figure of how much it cost your for the belts?....lol never in mylife have i had a car long enough to change the belts. First time for me.

mines the 2002 model and also cracked inside....at one stage when it was very cold in Melb, it used to squeek on start-up, but as it heated up, the noise would go away (less than 10 secs)...

i guess i better change mine soon.....i think it's definitely the age of the belts in most cases that would lead to cracks....besides, our VQ engines are very hot...so that would add to the equation somehow....

my v35 has only done 49,000kms....

Mine were in need of replacing at 35,000kms. Given the age of the vehicle and the fact that in japan the belts do way more kms than the speedo indicates, the belt condition is understandable.