SAU Community

Questions About Skylines In Victoria (p Plate Question)

moj0

get a turbo, ignore all the enthusiasts on this forum saying its a bad idea. getting a turbo was the better choice i've ever made in my life. haha. totally worth the 3 points if u ever get done. :]

Clearly you weren't one of the better choices your parents made in their lives.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u must feel torn between getting a turbo and sticking with your current car especially being 20 and only having to wait a year to get ur fulls. i love cars so much that i drove a gtst 33 on my green p's and was prepare to accept the consequences (back then green p's were allowed to drive turbos but not allowed to drive cars over 125kw per tonne which the 33 was).

i know i'll get burned for this but if you want a turbo i reckon jsut do it...BUT not in a skyline man. our cars are targeted pretty bad. if i was you and i had 14k i would buy a chaser or a galant. both turbo, 4 door, rare and awesome cars but if your heart is set on a skyline, i suggest you wait.

I'm on my Green P's,

I'm not so worried about the turbo anymore or a GTR, I don't mind waiting the 2ish years I have left on the P's to do the upgrade. Over the past few days reading around the site i got it out of my system. I don't want to have trouble with the cops every day and have to worry about cops everyday on my way to work ect hoping i don't get pulled over if you get my drift. Not going to mod it to the point where cops are going to want to hammer me don't want it sitting 1cm off the ground. Don't mind keeping things legal... Or atleast things that are going to get noticed left right and center.

Don't plan on thrashing it around either. I got 3 older brothers (I'm 20, Ones 20 (4 weeks apart half brother) another whos 27 and oldest at 28) and I know all to much trouble they had with cars they way they drive then and how many times each of them has lost there licence. I don't plan on following the same path they did :D

Money wise I was looking around.. 14k mark.. give or take. I plan on borrowing the cash off the old girl from my saving for my house deposit (Don't think im ready to get a house yet) to save me getting a loan out from the banks and paying intrest.

Gotta keep reading and trying to learn as much as I can about the car, only got really into cars and learning about them (not just how much i can smoke a set of tires) past 2-3 months. Stuff like series 1..2 etc... gotta learn all the differences about this stuff haha.

Thanks Charles89 and others :) Really helpful bunch :)

P.s, Charles89, Have a link for your friends car his selling?

I just went onto carsales, and I think my mate might have sold his R34 lol.

But I guess there's always other ones around. Just make sure you don't rush into it, be patient.

You could even test drive a few different cars, maybe NA R32, R33, R34 then R33 gtst, R34 GTT. See which one you really like and prefer, then weigh up your options. You'll never know, you might have just as much fun in a NA than a turbo, at least theres not so much power to handle when you are taking corners in the wet :stupid: And if you do end up getting an NA first, and get sick of the power, then I guess you can say that you've actually tried lol.

But it is true tho, what 95% of NA skyline drivers say, that once you have driven an NA for awhile, you'll be hungry for more power (I was one of them) :(

Which area do you live in? I guess if you live close to me, I could take you for a spin in mine :)

I'm on my Green P's,

I'm not so worried about the turbo anymore or a GTR, I don't mind waiting the 2ish years I have left on the P's to do the upgrade. Over the past few days reading around the site i got it out of my system. I don't want to have trouble with the cops every day and have to worry about cops everyday on my way to work ect hoping i don't get pulled over if you get my drift. Not going to mod it to the point where cops are going to want to hammer me don't want it sitting 1cm off the ground. Don't mind keeping things legal... Or atleast things that are going to get noticed left right and center.

Don't plan on thrashing it around either. I got 3 older brothers (I'm 20, Ones 20 (4 weeks apart half brother) another whos 27 and oldest at 28) and I know all to much trouble they had with cars they way they drive then and how many times each of them has lost there licence. I don't plan on following the same path they did :(

Money wise I was looking around.. 14k mark.. give or take. I plan on borrowing the cash off the old girl from my saving for my house deposit (Don't think im ready to get a house yet) to save me getting a loan out from the banks and paying intrest.

Gotta keep reading and trying to learn as much as I can about the car, only got really into cars and learning about them (not just how much i can smoke a set of tires) past 2-3 months. Stuff like series 1..2 etc... gotta learn all the differences about this stuff haha.

Thanks Charles89 and others :) Really helpful bunch :)

P.s, Charles89, Have a link for your friends car his selling?

14K is an NA 34!!!

being impatient isn't worth void insurance... good work haha

imo not worth buying a n/a skyline.

Due to them being legal for p-platers, they sell for a lot of money. Most cases more than turbo versions. I'd aim towards a car which was designed as a sport n/a from the beginning instead of a derivative of a turbo model. Reason for this is usually the manufacturers have spent time making the car lighter and the engine more responsive instead of pulling off a turbo on a heavy turbo car.

Here is a good list;

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Fun_P_plate_legal_cars

Note: the 125kw/tonne law doesnt apply to p-platers anymore so ignore any cars with turbo.

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-T [1989-1993] - 125kW per tonne IMPORT

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-4 [1989-1993] - 112kW per tonne IMPORT

Mitsubishi Galant VR4 [1990-1993] - 100kW per tonne

Sounds alright...

Get the R32 GTS-T, drive it around stock for a bit but do up the suspension, brake, wheels and tyre mods then start on power mods, later...

Ok, now I'm confused with the P plate law.

I thought if you got your P's after July 1st 2007, you can't drive a turbo AT ALL. And the people who got it before that, can drive V8/turbo as long as it's under the power to weight law?

Just because you are on your green P's, it doesn't mean you got your license before July 1st 07? So the no turbo law still applies? Or have they wiped out the turbo law and just made it power to weight only?

the power to weight rule was extended till the end of 2007, so i think people got got their p's after Dec 31 07 have the new rules

Are you sure? I've never heard about it being extended? It'd be cool if you can find a link of it :(

Because I got mine in Sept 2007 :D

well B3ZA got his in Nov. 07 and drives his Celisor (V8) around, i asked him and he said it had been extended till end of 07, dont quote me though, but im quite sure thats what he said.

EDIT: Just asked him again, and yes, it was extended till end of 2007

Well, as far as I know and on the Vicroads website, it hasn't been extended lol.

High powered vehicle restrictions that apply if you obtained your probationary licence after 1 July 2007

From 1 July 2007, new restrictions on driving high powered vehicles were introduced for probationary licence drivers who obtained their licence from this date.

A probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has:

An engine of eight or more cylinders;

a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel powered vehicles. Exemptions can apply for lower performance turbo and supercharged cars);

an engine that has been modified to increase its performance; and/or

any of the following high performance six cylinder vehicles as published in the Government Gazette:

Make Model Release Year/s Cylinders

BMW M 1998 6

BMW M3 1994 - 2004 6

BMW M5 1990 6

BMW Z4 (3.0L variants. 2.5 L variants are not restricted) 2006 onwards 6

Nissan 350Z 2002 onwards V6

Nissan 370z 2009 onwards v6

Honda NSX 2 Door Coupe 1991 – 2002 V6

Porsche 911 1993 - 2006 6

Porsche Boxster 1999 - 2006 6

Porsche Cayman 2006 onwards 6

Mercedes Benz SLK 350 2004 onwards V6

Mercedes Benz C350 2005 onwards V6

Mercedes Benz C36 1995 6

Vehicles which are excluded from these restrictions are:

Turbocharged or supercharged diesel powered vehicles (without engine performance modifications);

all models of the Smart car, produced by Mercedes Benz; and

the following vehicles with low powered turbocharged or supercharged engines as published in the

Government Gazette:

Make Model Release Year/s

Smart All models 1998 onwards

Suzuki Cappucino 1992 - 1997

Daihatsu Copen 2003 onwards

The previous power to weight restrictions will continue to apply for drivers who obtained their probationary licences before 1 July 2007.

If you want to buy a vehicle but you are unsure whether it has eight or more cylinders, or if it has a modified engine, or is either turbocharged or supercharged, or has any other features which would make it illegal for you to drive under the high powered vehicle restrictions, then your first step is to ask the car dealer who is selling the car. You could also contact the manufacturer directly for more information. If you are still unsure or doubt the information given, seek further advice from a licensed mechanic.

Permission to Drive Lower-Performance Turbocharged or Supercharged Cars

Drivers who obtained their probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 can drive some lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These vehicles generally have improved safety features and greater fuel-efficiency and can be driven by probationary drivers.

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;

turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle.

A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe.

Vehicles with eight cylinders or more, family type-type vehicles with more than 125KW per tonne or other vehicles with more than 100KW per tonne will NOT be granted under this scheme.

Probationary drivers may drive diesel-powered supercharged and turbocharged vehicles provided they have no more than 6 cylinders. No exemption is required.

Examples of vehicles that are NOT lower performance turbocharged or supercharged cars and must not be driven by probationary drivers include::

AUDI TT QUATTRO 2D COUPE 4 1781 cc TURBO Multi 6 speed Manual

BMW 335i E92 2D COUPE 6 2979 cc TWIN TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Automatic

FORD FALCON XR6 TURBO BA 4D SEDAN 6 3984 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual

MAZDA 6 MPS 5D SEDAN 4 2261 cc TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Manual

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 4D SEDAN 4 1994 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual

I've never heard of the Power to Weight being added to end of '07 either.

There has been no such official announcement that i've seen, nor is it listed in any official documentation.

So once again the ole my mates mate is wrong :(

Power to weight ended with the new scheme, however the newer scheme is far more clear cut as in NO V8, NO turbo (unless on exemption list), and any high powered N/A that is gazetted. If a high powered N/A car isn't on the list, don't think you are safe either. It could appear on the list in the next round of updates :D

I've never heard of the Power to Weight being added to end of '07 either.

There has been no such official announcement that i've seen, nor is it listed in any official documentation.

So once again the ole my mates mate is wrong :D

Power to weight ended with the new scheme, however the newer scheme is far more clear cut as in NO V8, NO turbo (unless on exemption list), and any high powered N/A that is gazetted. If a high powered N/A car isn't on the list, don't think you are safe either. It could appear on the list in the next round of updates :)

Yeah, I think the NA list will get bigger and bigger lol, as soon as the 370Z came out, BANG! it's on the list :(

So glad I'm not just going for my license now, I'd struggle to wait 4 years to get off P's lol

P platers, if you want to go fast...just get a motorbike. Plenty of learner legal bikes that are faster than stock turbo Skylines. But hey, if you're willing to jump ship on the P plate restrictions you'll probably be venturing into superbikes on your Ls anyway.

Yeah, I'm 20 but being the slack bugger I am didn't get my red P's till just befor i was 19 :P

Going to stick with a non turbo for the moment tho, mainly because my mums boyfriend knows quite a bit about cars (not jap cars tho) and there's no way she will lend me the cash for the car (she doesn't want me to take a loan prefer to just lend me the cash and make repayments to her) and he will be able to tell with a blink of a eye if i had a turbo on the car.

Charles89, I live in coburg. Wouldn't mind it haha... good to be in something thats probly faster than my brothers VE ;) Dad drives a 2008/9 M3 and his having a go at me about getting a skyline saying "I'll never grow up" ... yet he drives that monster haha.

Yeah, I'm 20 but being the slack bugger I am didn't get my red P's till just befor i was 19 :P

Going to stick with a non turbo for the moment tho, mainly because my mums boyfriend knows quite a bit about cars (not jap cars tho) and there's no way she will lend me the cash for the car (she doesn't want me to take a loan prefer to just lend me the cash and make repayments to her) and he will be able to tell with a blink of a eye if i had a turbo on the car.

Charles89, I live in coburg. Wouldn't mind it haha... good to be in something thats probly faster than my brothers VE ;) Dad drives a 2008/9 M3 and his having a go at me about getting a skyline saying "I'll never grow up" ... yet he drives that monster haha.

Wise choice to stick with the non-turbo...but man...at age 20 you should probably be acknowledging the more relevant consequences of buying the turbocharged vehicle rather than the "parents won't let me" consequences of it. Worrying about what your parents would think...or whether you're gonna get a smack from mummy/daddy or grounded...that kind of mentality is for kids, kids who aren't old enough to drive. You're at an age now where you can be held legally accountable for every one of your actions...driving being one of those situations where your actions can easily affect other people...so IMO you should be more concerned with the fact that if you crash the turbocharged vehicle, your insurance company won't issue you with a claim...but the police/courts will, i.e. claiming money from you...to pay for whatever you just hit. We all know we're not the only ones on the road, but how often do we remember it and put it into practice while driving?

Wise choice to stick with the non-turbo...but man...at age 20 you should probably be acknowledging the more relevant consequences of buying the turbocharged vehicle rather than the "parents won't let me" consequences of it. Worrying about what your parents would think...or whether you're gonna get a smack from mummy/daddy or grounded...that kind of mentality is for kids, kids who aren't old enough to drive. You're at an age now where you can be held legally accountable for every one of your actions...driving being one of those situations where your actions can easily affect other people...so IMO you should be more concerned with the fact that if you crash the turbocharged vehicle, your insurance company won't issue you with a claim...but the police/courts will, i.e. claiming money from you...to pay for whatever you just hit. We all know we're not the only ones on the road, but how often do we remember it and put it into practice while driving?

That is so true, cannot disagree with any of it.

moj0 - An NA is a good choice mate, I just hope that you can keep that thinking in your mind until you are off your P's :P

Coburg is so far, I live in SE Melbourne :P But if you ever head down this way, I can take you for a ride, but it probably won't help your decision of driving an NA lol ;)

Yeah nah I hear what you mean and agree, i know what will happen in a turbo if i get caught so thats why im not going past that path.

Lol, Not worried about the parents. Only child to my mum so i could never get her off my back "Oh no you shouldnt drive a fast car" mentality. Dad tho, 1 of 4 brothers and from there track record (All lost there licence at one point or another, many times each) he thinks im the same "all your gonna do is rip burnouts and drift and blah blah blah"

Sticking 100% to a N/A. I'll be able to hold back till i;m off my P's. Will give me time to learn more about the car and the stuff ill be waiting to put on it instead of me just getting it all and not knowing what to do with it. Slowly buy steady im learning about it more and more.

-Charles89, Where abouts in SE melbourne? i'm moving sorta around eastern side of melbourne in about 1 month with my brother and his misses and a work mate.

Yeah nah I hear what you mean and agree, i know what will happen in a turbo if i get caught so thats why im not going past that path.

Lol, Not worried about the parents. Only child to my mum so i could never get her off my back "Oh no you shouldnt drive a fast car" mentality. Dad tho, 1 of 4 brothers and from there track record (All lost there licence at one point or another, many times each) he thinks im the same "all your gonna do is rip burnouts and drift and blah blah blah"

Sticking 100% to a N/A. I'll be able to hold back till i;m off my P's. Will give me time to learn more about the car and the stuff ill be waiting to put on it instead of me just getting it all and not knowing what to do with it. Slowly buy steady im learning about it more and more.

-Charles89, Where abouts in SE melbourne? i'm moving sorta around eastern side of melbourne in about 1 month with my brother and his misses and a work mate.

That's good to hear ;)

So when will you be getting your car? By the way, you are aware of P plate + insurance yea? If you've read the link I gave you? :P

I live in Mordialloc, where abouts are you moving to?

That's good to hear ;)

So when will you be getting your car? By the way, you are aware of P plate + insurance yea? If you've read the link I gave you? :P

I live in Mordialloc, where abouts are you moving to?

Hopefully start looking on friday, i got a small operation just to take out my tonsils since iv had some trouble with them in summer. Got 2 weeks off work so going to do some real searching. Depending on how my saving is going for japan (going in march) hopfully within the next 4 months, if it doesn't go so well, not till after them 4 months.

I'm sure iv read the post your talking about but at this time in the morning i honestly can't remember. Think it was about only about 3 insurance places would actually give me insurance with a car like that plus being on my P plates costing me a chunk more yeah?

Moving to Watsonia, Very close to greensborough