SAU Community

Machining Wheels To Increase Offset?

Hi,

I have some new 18x9.5 wheels on my Stagea and have an issue with the rears sticking out to much.

The centre of the wheels appears to have plenty of meat on the inside of them, so I am wondering if it would be possible to get the inside face machined down to increase the offset?

They are currently +12, I think around +25 would be perfect, so machining off 13mm.

These wheel also come in +30 and look exactly the same, so I can only assume that they make a cast and simply machine the face to the required offset?

As long as a reasonable amount is taken off, is this safe? What sort of place could actually do this?

Thanks for any help.

There is a nominated distance between the hub face and the wheel nut inserts or tapered edges. By removing material your making the distance less and increasing the chance of the rim cracking around the stud holes. Ive seen it in the past.

If you did do it, use a Milling maching with a parrallel flycutter, and be cautious just how much material you do take off and how tight the wheels get done up.

make sure when its done the rims get clocked to the cutter properly otherwise you'll end up with nice wheel wobble. Any competant machinist will realise the importance of it being square anyways,